Sign in to follow this  
blanked

;Toyota Rav 4 AWD performance

Peent

My wife drives a 2017 AWD RAV4 platinum. Stock tires are horrible and I can’t wait to replace them.  I’ve thought about getting another set of rims and tires just for winter. The rav4 is nice but not nearly the capability of her previous 4Runner. 

terrym
23 hours ago, blanked said:

Who makes premium snow tires for small suvs

Hard to beat a set of Blizzaks. I run them on my Ram and the wife’s CRV. 

MAArcher

I rented a brand new RAV4 a couple weeks ago.  I wasn't impressed.  Didn't get to try it out in any bad weather but I couldn't see one as my daily driver.  Didn't have an SUV feeling at all for me.  Bad ergonomics.

Jazz4Brazo

Not a fan...now the new Highlander...that's another story...carry on 🙂

stephen brown

Going to keep the 2012 RAV4 until the day I throw the title on the front seat and haul it to the junkyard. The 4WD (or is it AWD) is adequate for snow. The V6, 270hp, is adequate for passing or towing. I like power. Something that the 4Runner lacks. That land ferry needs another 50hp. 

WI Outdoor Nut

A bit off of what the OP is asking, but have owned a few Honda pilots and am very impressed with the AWD fwiw.  It is as good or better (with equal tires) as my 4 wd F150 when I can lock the back wheels with my differential.  A few years back I happen to have my pilot and we made a last minute decision to check some trail cameras.  I knew we had snow, but didn't realize how much we had until I was well on my way.  I had snow going over the hood and the SUV just kept trucking.  There is a feature to turn off the traction control, which I do with any of my vehicles in sticky situation.  But as long as the frame does not get hung up, some of these AWD vehicles are very capable automobiles. 

jeff88

As for RAV's, just read a review of the hybrid awd version - seems that it is only $800 more than the standard awd version.  This look interesting in that payback on the $800 for fuel usage is about 2 years.  Also noted is that rear storage capacity is not taken up by the battery.  Add some Blizzaks on take off wheels and this might be a solid choice for those who want awd for bad weather.  

One negative I did read that seemed negative about the 2019 RAVs is that the front passenger seat is not comfortable in the new version.  That's something to check into.

Peent

Just got back from a round trip to Washington DC and back in our 2017 Rav4.  It handled the trip quite nice and was comfortable even at 94 miles an hour on the freeway keeping up with traffic.  Plenty of seat adjustments, the navigation system was at least as good as google maps, I love the blind spot indicator feature and wish I had it on my Tundra.  We averaged 29 MPG most of the trip except for the last day driving into a stiff headwind where the dash computer said we were getting 26.  It has eco and sport mode.  Sport mode gave a little more response in traffic.  This Platinum model has all the bells and whistles and I used them all.  My takeaway is this:  I wouldn't use it as a hunting rig and I would still prefer to fly on a trip this long. 

blanked

94 mph!   Thats moving

Bloodhound

My wife drives a 2015 Rav4 and has loved it.  It was the replacement for her 2008 Honda CRV.  She liked the Honda, but it wasn't great on Ice & Snow and she didn't like the heat and defrost ability.  She has been in love with her Rav4....Until she went on a road trip with my daughter in her 2016 Highlander.  My wife came back saying that maybe it would be a good idea to trade in the Rav4 while the milege was below........blah blah blah...I see car shopping in my future