Clueless1

P&Y? Anyone?

Clueless1

I see they just had their convention.  Announced that they would do annually, even years conservation and odd years the full gamut.  Anyone ever go to the convention?  They have the 2020 one scheduled for Virginia and was thinking about heading down.

Kurt

A fine organization, but I in the category where if I needed to rattle the antlers I've collected I have to put them in a sack and shake it.

Brad Eden

No interest with P&Y to be frank, or Brad...I'm a steadfast traditionalist, and in Maine a trophy buck is gauged by dressed weight not the antler score. We have some good racked bucks but as a whole this northern strain don't enjoy agricultural areas and puts their energy into their bodies, for the most part. But a person does get extra props for a large racked buck taken with a bow. The dressed weight thing is changing though with a younger generation of deer hunters who if not only interested in grilled deer steaks, are chasing antler scores.

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

No interest with P&Y to be frank, or Brad...I'm a steadfast traditionalist, and in Maine a trophy buck is gauged by dressed weight not the antler score. We have some good racked bucks but as a whole this northern strain don't enjoy agricultural areas and puts their energy into their bodies, for the most part. But a person does get extra props for a large racked buck taken with a bow. The dressed weight thing is changing though with a younger generation of deer hunters who if not only interested in grilled deer steaks, are chasing antler scores.

But. If a 180 buck with a smaller body was standing next to a 140 buck with a big body, which would you shoot? 😉

Virgil Kane

Have to agree with you Brad (not the traditionalist part, we all know you shoot a compound. heehee) on the weight of the deer.  Best to date for me was an 8 point that weighed dressed out and hung for 5 days came in at 245#.  My estimation is that deer was a bit over 300# live weight.  Not a Maine deer though but gotten in the deep north woods of Wisconsin.

Virgil 

Brad Eden
23 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

But. If a 180 buck with a smaller body was standing next to a 140 buck with a big body, which would you shoot? 😉

I guess your 180 and 140 mean antler score, not weight? I don't  even know what a good antler score is to be honest. I've never had any of my bucks antlers measured. But probably neither. If I had already taken a mature doe with bow in the early season which I typically do, I'd let them walk depending on actual body size, and look for a deer well over 200 lbs on the hoof and over 200 dressed...

Brad Eden
30 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Have to agree with you Brad (not the traditionalist part, we all know you shoot a compound. heehee) on the weight of the deer.  

Good catch. Good to see the Trad Shaming is still alive and well on UJ. It's a tradition...😁

Thats a huge deer. Best I've taken is a tad over 220 dressed. 

sharptail grouse
4 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I guess your 180 and 140 mean antler score, not weight? I don't  even know what a good antler score is to be honest. I've never had any of my bucks antlers measured. But probably neither. If I had already taken a mature doe with bow in the early season which I typically do, I'd let them walk depending on actual body size, and look for a deer well over 200 lbs on the hoof and over 200 dressed...

So 180 means 180 measured inches of antler length/diameter and spread. For context Boone and Crockett (rifle records) considers a "book" whitetail to be around 170". So a 180 buck is a hell of a big deer, especially with a bow and particularly where you live. Without looking back at it I would guess that buck you posted a picture of last week would have scored around 150 if it was a 5x5. A damn nice deer anywhere. My whole point was that if a giant walked in front of most anyone they'd be more than happy to take it - tradition be damned. Not many people even get one chance at one deer that big in their lifetimes. 

Personally I have gone thru that phase of whitetail hunting (it takes too much time away from bird season) and have been lucky enough to shoot a couple big ones and that's enough for me in one lifetime. But if a bigger one stepped out in the course of my hunt for meat.....I'm only human 9_9

OldSarge

I’ve been to the Pope and Young museum in SeaTac WA, run by Glenn St. Charles and seen the stuff he has on display there. Have a copy of a book about Ishi and another about how to build a self bow from Glenn. Got to know him pretty well while I was stationed out at Ft. Lewis. Sadly, I believe he has passed. Neat guy with lots of cool stories and “stuff”. Kind of off topic, I realize, but that’s about the extent of my P&Y knowledge. Never shot a rack buck big enough to qualify, however I do have a black bear that qualifies for the book at 18 15/16” skull. He’s a 6 footer and just over 400lbs. I would go to a meeting if it were close enough just to see what they were about now. 476E4E39-952B-49E3-83CB-FC4EF5A443DF.thumb.jpeg.b82c276bfc43ded3962f22ef496d8825.jpeg

AC8C9BD6-E809-458B-AC29-CB708D213881.jpeg

Clueless1

I should say even if I was fortunate enough to shoot deer big enough (antler-wise) to qualify for P&Y, I have no interest in entering it.  I think I have a couple that would qualify but I have no idea how to measure other than seeing the score sheet a couple times.  It just doesn't interest me. 

BUT, the more I read about the club the more I realize it is much more than the book.  The meetings on even years will now focus on conservation.  I don't think they will even be doing any measuring.  I am hoping my schedule permits me to go check it out as 2020 will be in VA and not too far of a drive. 

SelbyLowndes

I actually had to read awhile into this thread to remember what Pope&Young was.  We have some pretty good deer in some parts of Georgia, but I usually hunt in the deep south of the state, where I live.  I bow hunted in middle Ga when I was in school up there, but when I tried to continue it back home, the skeeters were just too bad.  The bug spray back in the '70s was not very effective for anything but dissolving the finish off my recurve bow and wooden arrows.  My three boys love their stick chunkers both vertical and cross versions.  More power to'em!...SelbyLowndes

C.J.L.
On 4/19/2019 at 12:43 PM, OldSarge said:

Got to know him pretty well while I was stationed out at Ft. Lewis. Sadly, I believe he has passed. Neat guy with lots of cool stories and “stuff”

Yeah Glenn died a few years ago. He was still coming to the Compton trad shoot in Berrien Springs (down by Benton Harbor) up til maybe 5 years ago.  He was a good guy and is missed.  Might be more like 10.  

As for deer weight, I have to laugh.  RARELY do deer weigh what guys claim.  Not saying you fellas who posted ain't telling the truth but other guys have ruined it for you :).  Had a conversation with a guy once who said doe in southern MI weighted 200 lb on average.  I grew up there, killed piles of deer. My guess the biggest was 140 lbs.  It's like Roland Martin on his fishing show, he hooks nothing smaller than a 5 pounder lol.   Guys and bear weigh is twice as bad.  "Yeah it was about 200 pounds" LMAO!

Virgil Kane
10 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

As for deer weight, I have to laugh.  RARELY do deer weigh what guys claim.  Not saying you fellas who posted ain't telling the truth but other guys have ruined it for you :).  Had a conversation with a guy once who said doe in southern MI weighted 200 lb on average.  I grew up there, killed piles of deer. My guess the biggest was 140 lbs.  It's like Roland Martin on his fishing show, he hooks nothing smaller than a 5 pounder lol.   Guys and bear weigh is twice as bad.  "Yeah it was about 200 pounds" LMAO!

Taken in 1982 by a much younger me.  You be the judge as to size, in that picture I'm 6'4" and weigh 210.  As for Missouri I almost moved there in 75 and almost bought Rex Grady's old place on Taneycomo. The deer down there make a German Shepards look huge.

001.thumb.jpg.a55ad63e59f4edb9ef1c894a35ac9181.jpg

Virgil

C.J.L.
20 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Taken in 1982 by a much younger me.  You be the judge as to size, in that picture I'm 6'4" and weigh 210.  As for Missouri I almost moved there in 75 and almost bought Rex Grady's old place on Taneycomo. The deer down there make a German Shepards look huge.

001.thumb.jpg.a55ad63e59f4edb9ef1c894a35ac9181.jpg

Virgil

165 lbs :)  

Still got the hair on your head? 

Brad Eden
16 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

Broad brush? 😅 People guess on antler score (these days it seems) as much if not more than how much their deer weighed on the hoof or dressed. Deer are like fish, people always exaggerate. But the kicker is in Maine we have what's called the "Biggest Bucks In Maine Club" it's run by the Sporting Tabloid magazine-The Maine Sportsman. It's a thing up here, and hunters who kill bucks over 200 lbs dressed can get a Patch and a certificate and are listed in the magazine. It's a badge of honor for many to get a "Patch Buck" . (I have three Patches, big whoop I guess) Those Patch bucks have to be dressed and weighed on a certified scale, and an application filled out and signed by the weigh station, be it a butcher, a tagging station or a taxidermist. Of course there are the Joe Fudds guessing incorrectly and exaggerating  the weight of their Spike horn. For others, since weight and meat is a big thing up here, most tagging stations have a scale hanging outside for free or some digital hydraulic ones that require a small fee to weigh. And a lot of hunters have their own scales, not just to get an accurate weight but so they can guesstimate the cost if they bring it to a game processer. So I'd say a good share of deer get weighed up here. But the vast majority of antlers don't get scored. 

But the MASTC Maine Antler & Skull Trophy Club is gaining in popularity. Again, body weight is becoming less important and antler score is gaining in importance in Maine.

Don't misunderstand. I like big antlers and have 4 full head mounts with three being my heaviest and biggest racked bucks. I have a bunch of European skull mounts, and a few smaller racks on plaques, and others strewn about. I have kept every antler of every buck I've killed. But I'm still a meat hunter at heart.