REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
spinfly

2020 Subaru Outback

spinfly

Don't know if anyone else saw this, but details on the new 2020 Subaru Outback have been released. I like my '14, but the Onyx XT edition bumping the motor to 260 hp has me interested.

https://www.subaru.com/nyias2019  

snapt

My 15' has a long ways to go before she gets retired but the 20' looks like a nice rig!

Two Barrels

My wife drives an ‘18.  We have no plans to replace it anytime soon.  The ‘20 looks nice.  Some of the changes to the cargo area look useful.

River19

I wouldn't be in the Subaru market anymore, but it is nice to see them finally bump up the power and some of the interiors are catching up to current levels of luxury and tech.  I wish them luck.

Swampy 16

I sure hope they put that motor in the Forester. I like the Outback but they don’t have enough approach and departure angle.

Scar

My wife wants to trade for a new Outback. Any consensus on quality, value etc.?

Swampy 16

Probably the best all around other than true 4x4 capability. I researched vehicles for about two years. I was dead set on a Subaru. The quality and reliability in the end is unmatched. Just read customer reviews. Their AWD capability is at times said to be better than a 4x4. In the end I went with a Cherokee Limited. The reason was I felt I had more off road capabilities like mud and deeper snow, which I think I do after pulling on to wet grass and flooring it (I’m still shocked by what happened there, wife wasn’t happy with me). Also the looks, comfort, and balls out the wazoo, yes I got the V6. The 2.3 liter 4 cyl are a real problem for Chrysler right now which is ok because you could get out and run faster. I also wasn’t comfortable in the Subaru. The Cherokee is very comfortable and very nice inside where the Subaru was more “plasticy” and utilitarian. The Cherokee surprised me when I started looking at ratings. It actually beats most other SUV’s out there. If your wife likes the Subaru go for it. They’re really great vehicles, on and off road. I’m not talking rock crawling of course but muddy or snowy forest roads are no problem.

GLS

I've been hearing Outback radio advertisements touting its ground clearance of 8.7".  Sounds like a marketing approach to broaden its appeal to casual offroading.  Gil

Swampy 16

Ground clearance is great on them. The Outback has lower approach and departure angles than the Forester however.

Dogwood

I sold my 2015 2.5 and bought a low mileage 2017 3.6; way better grunt and quieter compared to the 2.5.  The 2.4 turbo in the 2020 has slightly better hp, torque, and mpg numbers compared to the 3.6 but it's a new turbo for them so not as proven as the 3.6 which is really solid.  3.6 no longer installed after 2019 so they have been snapped up.  You can really go down the rabbit hole with these comparisons on the Subaru forums  . . .

Swampy 16
43 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

I sold my 2015 2.5 and bought a low mileage 2017 3.6; way better grunt and quieter compared to the 2.5.  The 2.4 turbo in the 2020 has slightly better hp, torque, and mpg numbers compared to the 3.6 but it's a new turbo for them so not as proven as the 3.6 which is really solid.  3.6 no longer installed after 2019 so they have been snapped up.  You can really go down the rabbit hole with these comparisons on the Subaru forums  . . .

Are you referring to the Jeep engines? Sounds like you are. 

fourtrax57

The 2.5 in my 2010 is an underpowerd engine for that sized vehicle (outback) I refer to it as D.O.A.

On the other hand it gets me there & back w/o issues so suppose I should be happy. Will never own another Subaru that isn't a V6.

If they quit offering the V6... OH Well. There are other brands.

My experience has been in this area with lots of snow etc that the Subie has an excellent awd system. However, (even with the traction control off)

the 2.5 doa 4 cyl does not have enough power to get out of 8 or so inches of grainy, hard snow ice frozen mix. It doesn't spin but it also doesn't have enough zip to

crawl out of the frozen stuff either. So your still stuck,,,,,,,

The other issue (2 issues actually) I have with the Subie is last Sept. out in MT it was wet n muddy. The clay out there is something else.

While it could get thru reasonable depths of mud, the wheel wells would fill up and tires would rub so hard it would stop you cold eventually. Then you had to take a metal bar, long screwdriver or such and dig out each wheel well. Second issue, wide rims flat on the inside collect mud & ice / frozen snow & get severely out of balance / shake the whole vehicle.

Subie is good for a little snow & ice but when roads are ugly with mud or snow it's still time for a truck. May own another for a second vehicle for Wife or something but will not have another for my daily driver w/o much more power. Guess I must be a truck guy at heart.

blanked

My resewrch on subarus , forestor in paticular were not good.  Looking at the forestor forum by far the advice is dont buy used and sell when it reaches 100,000 miles.    Some claim subarus have a specific break and maintenance  in that if not followed is the reason subarus fall apart after 100,000 miles.    

Dogwood
2 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Are you referring to the Jeep engines? Sounds like you are. 

Outback

Remo

2019 Outback here for my wife. We like it as we live in the country and have to fight snow some days. It seems to me to be a little grabby on pavement but maybe that is just in my head.