REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Scar

Hunting Quotes

Scar

It's a slow day at the office so I've been re-reading some Ernest Hemingway and a couple quotes really struck me.  I'm sure there are other quotes by other writers about hunting that are worthy of sharing.  Please do so.

"When you have loved three things all your life, from the earliest you can remember; to fish, to shoot and, later, to read; and when, all your life, the necessity to write has been your master, you learn to remember and, when you think back you remember more fishing and shooting and reading than anything else and that is a pleasure."

"You can remember the first snipe you ever hit walking on the prairie with your father, How the jacksnipe rose with a jump and you hit him on the second swerve and had to wade out into a slough after him and brought him in west, holding him by  the bill, as proud as a bird dog, and you can remember all the snipe since in many places."

"And why, today, remember misses?"

- Remembering Shooting-Flying: A Key West Letter-

"There are two ways to murder a lion."

-Shootism versus Sport-

"The way to hunt is for as long as you live against as long as there is such and such an animal; just as the way to paint is as long as there is you and colors and canvas, and to write as long as you can live and there is pencil and paper or ink or any machine to do it with, or anything you care to write about, and you feel a fool, and you are a fool, to do it any other way."

-Green Hills of Africa-

Papa Hemingway sure lived a life!

Rockdoc

If you can’t kill it with a 30-06, you should hide. Courtesy of strangerinastrangeland AKA Chip Hailstone in Life Below Zero

A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.  Aldo Leopold

Rick Hall

Best piece of bird dog (or, for that matter, "outdoors") writing I can recall comes from Charles Waterman:

The composed and confident Brittany puppy was to be a good bird dog one day, but I had lacked time and neglected his field trips, so he was several months old without a contact with the birds he was to hunt.  Near the end of bird season, Buddy Nordmann came by, fresh from a hunt, and took a single dead quail from his coat.  "Let's see what your pup thinks of it," he said, and he offered the bobwhite.  The response was not exactly what I expected.

The pup's eyes bulged wildly as he accepted the bird, his entire body shook pathetically, he drooled furiously, his rasping breath turning the saliva to streams of froth.  He looked furtively about with no attention to us.  Then he lay the quail reverently on the ground - and threw up.  "That pup's pretty birdy," Buddy said.

WI Outdoor Nut
1 hour ago, Rick Hall said:

Best piece of bird dog (or, for that matter, "outdoors") writing I can recall comes from Charles Waterman:

Loved that quote.  Reminds me of my current shorthair.  Even as pups we bring them with us on the trips to get use to the travel, other dogs and to stretch their legs when we can.  We were cleaning a pile of woodcock at the end of our hunt and the pup that could not have been more than 15 pounds at the time grabbed one of the birds.  At first we thought it was cute, but then when we tried to get it back, he took off.  There were 4 grown men chasing the dog around.  The closer we got, the more into the thicket he would go.  I bet it took us 10 minutes to pin him down. 

walt lister

My favorite quote came from my cousin after I'd been ragging him about a missed quail-----------"Shut up, Walter"

Jacksdad

After we finish dropping 3 ducks from a flight of 5 or  6 one of our foursome very seriously will ask ‘how come you guys didn’t shoot?’   

sharptail grouse

Old guy that took me quail hunting when I was a kid - he hunted everyday of the season I think. I finally dropped a bird and when his dog brought it (a hen bird) in he handed it to me and said

"Couldn't find a rooster huh?" 

Brad Eden

Sometimes you gotta say the heck with it, grab a springer and just go hunting. Unknown UJ Member

Let young hunters be game hogs, they will get to be old Fuddy Duddys soon enough and drone on about just being out there, and the dog work. Postholer in residence.

Bloodhound

Skeet shooting and hunting buddy:

"Fine then...fly away with your heart shot out!"

NW River Mac
1 hour ago, Jacksdad said:

After we finish dropping 3 ducks from a flight of 5 or  6 one of our foursome very seriously will ask ‘how come you guys didn’t shoot?’   

That's perfect!

PartridgeCartridge

A famous Hunshatt quote....

"I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Millriver

One of my hunting companions: 

Enjoy it while you can, life is not a dress rehearsal. This is all we get.

Treerooster

Hunting...hours of nothing...seconds of plenty.

Rick Hall
13 hours ago, Bloodhound said:

Skeet shooting and hunting buddy:

"Fine then...fly away with your heart shot out!"

When we fluff a gimme in the duck blind, I prefer to shake a fist and holler, "And don't come back!" 

Snipeaholic

After watching me miss a very reasonable grouse my buddy drily states, “there’s a lot of room around them”.