REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Scar

Hunting Quotes

Mike Connally

“At home a friend will ask, “Been bird hunting?” You will say that you have, and when he asks,” Have any luck?” You will think of what you have held in your heart instead of your hand, and then answer that you certainly did—without a doubt.” Gene Hill

Skybuster

Another quote from Gene Hill: "He was dressed [for the hunt] like an extra in a movie about starving Welsh coal miners." This quote brings back memories of a hunting partner who could not "let go" of his Korean War surplus. 

grouse28

My old grouse hunting mentor, Hob Keener, “doesn’t take long to shoot a grouse”.

quailguy

When you are fed up with the troublesome present, take your gun, whistle for your dog, and go out to the mountain.

Ortega y Gasset

T-Bone

My late Father's reply to a very urban, co-worker asking him after his two week duck hunt...

"Did you catch anything?"

"I won't know for two or three more days."

Allen McCallie

Many, many years ago at an uncomfortable college-age dinner party with a blind date, whose roommate indignantly demanded "how can you shoot such a beautiful duck?"

Yours truly, with a brief moment of regret: "You just lead him by about two feet..."

SelbyLowndes

My grandfather when I made an excited long distance call to him to announce I'd killed my first duck: "Whose duck?"...SelbyLowndes

SelbyLowndes

For years after the movie "True Grit" with John Wayne came out my quail hunting group would always compliment a nice shot with: "Pretty bold shooting for a one eyed fat man!"...SelbyLowndes

Rick Hall
13 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

My grandfather when I made an excited long distance call to him to announce I'd killed my first duck: "Whose duck?"...SelbyLowndes

Never met the man, but I'm a big fan of your grandfather.

NVChukarChaser

“If a Chukar has one leg in the air, it is considered flying”

Old Basque Chukar Hunterr

Fishnfowler

"You know Karl, in the world of men, that pellet gets you a free drink anytime you see him in a bar and bail if you ever need it."  Said by Bill Kent after my friend Pat Lynch shot my son in the foot.  The pellet barely broke the skin and was sitting in his sock.  To Pat's defense, we weren't visible and it was helter skelter quail shooting in brush with a large crowd. I put the pellet in epoxy and hung it on a chain.  This was years ago, but my Son has big plans for calling in the debt some day.    

Joel S.

"We're burning daylight"

-John Wayne, The Cowboys

DD Huntress

Coaching the Bruins is like going bear hunting with a butter knife.

Pat Burns.     RIP Burnsie!

The perils of duck hunting are great, especially for the duck.  😄

Walter Cronkite

Felix

While hunting a tall brush row with my son-in-law, we each took a side and could not see each other.  The dog, who was going up the middle put out a rooster to my side, which I promptly missed twice.  

"Did you get them both?" my SIL yelled from his side.

jeff88

Instead of "liking" each post, consider this post a like for everyone of them.