Sign in to follow this  
bmeador

Crossing into Canada

bmeador

Have any of you crossed over the border lately with 3 or 4 dogs and hauling a trailer full of decoys, layout blinds, etc...?  How long did it take to get through?  Do they make you unload the entire truck and trailer?

We will have all the required gun forms, dog records, insurance papers, passports in a portfolio ready to present.  Tina and I are gonna do a DIY waterfowl and upland bird 10 trip and are getting everything ready now.  Thanks for any info or pointers - it has been 15 years since I last crossed the border to hunt.

Remo

Last time for me was four years ago so not quite lately. Didn't take 5 minutes, really smooth. Where are you crossing?

terrym

Do not bring in a handgun. Doesn’t matter what kind or if you have all the permits. Health & vaccination certificates  from a vet will likely be required for the dogs. Also if you have a criminal record they’ll turn you back most likely. They are the biggies. 

If you’re hunting Western Canada Alberta likely has the best Upland/waterfowl numbers right now. 

bmeador
50 minutes ago, Remo said:

Last time for me was four years ago so not quite lately. Didn't take 5 minutes, really smooth. Where are you crossing?

Probably Portal, ND.

Remo

If your paper work is set they will whisk you right through. Lots of waterfowl hunters pass through there. 

mister grouse

There is also  a form from US customs that allows you to declare all electronic good like phones a. computers, and also guns as you LEAVE the US  ...makes coming back easier and Canada going in as well.  The 200 shell limit is  bit of a pain if you stay a while .

bmeador
11 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

There is also  a form from US customs that allows you to declare all electronic good like phones a. computers, and also guns as you LEAVE the US  ...makes coming back easier and Canada going in as well.  The 200 shell limit is  bit of a pain if you stay a while . 

My wife is allowed 200 shells too and doesn't shoot much at all.  LOL.

SelbyLowndes

If you expect to do this regularly, I suggest you arrange to take the test and obtain a Canadian P.A.L. (possession and acquisition license).  They always seem thrilled to see me carrying their own permit.  It will save hassle in bringing your guns in.  You can claim as many hunting guns as you wish, including your wife's...SelbyLowndes

shoot-straight

went across for a bear/grouse/wf trip to canada a few years ago. crossed near alex bay ny. no issues. didnt even check our guns and stuff, or vet record. easy peasy. on way back canada gave us the paperwork for the bear and the us customs was a breeze as well. 

i have heard that they can get a bit sticky if you have anything that will show up on your record, maybe a DWI, or things like that. 

ill bet out in the midwest prairies where lots of US folk cross to gun WF, they are sticklers for shells and guns. also with birds on the way back over. 

Dick Sellers

I went across last fall into Sask.  and had all the paperwork in order.  I was towing my skiff, and was required to meet up with a Sask. "game warden" about 30 miles into the country for a detailed inspection of the boat - looking for invasive mussels.  When coming back into US, make sure you have all your Canadian paperwork (eg.  hunting log, licenses, etc) in order.

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Living in Alaska I have crossed the borders multiple times. Mostly it is no big deal, fill out the paperwork in advance and no one cares. Didn't even know about the 200 shell rule, probably had more than that left after the last bird hunt. Only trouble I've ever had is once we crossed back into the US at a little out of the way crossing in Washington. Two young know it alls gave us the 9th degree, made us show all the guns, looked for serial numbers, gave us hassles about the dogs, etc. Spent 2 hours before they had taken our guns apart and checked everything. In retrospect I believe they were PIA's and the border service sent them there to have them out of the way. Last time into the US the guard said did we get anything in Canada besides bad food and overpriced gas. Took less than a minute.

Craig Doherty

Just crossed in April with five dogs -- all you need for the dogs is a current rabies certificate.  I regularly go to New Brunswick for field trials and occasionally to hunt.   You should register your guns with US Customs before taking them out of the country, it's free and good forever.  Makes it simple when you come back in.  Taking long guns into Canada is simple -- fill out a form, pay the $25.00 fee, and your good to go.  Answer all questions truthfully and even if they decide to check further things will go smoothly.

SelbyLowndes

Sometimes someone on a Canada trip to our club house is surprised when an old DUI or something turns up and becomes a problem.  There appears to be a way to buy forgiveness from Canadian authorities with a form obtainable at the border for about $400.  I'm not sure of the details, but I've heard the story too many times.  Knowing Canadians, I doubt it is a bribe.  More likely a revenue line for the government...SelbyLowndes

sharptail grouse
3 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Sometimes someone on a Canada trip to our club house is surprised when an old DUI or something turns up and becomes a problem.  There appears to be a way to buy forgiveness from Canadian authorities with a form obtainable at the border for about $400.  I'm not sure of the details, but I've heard the story too many times.  Knowing Canadians, I doubt it is a bribe.  More likely a revenue line for the government...SelbyLowndes

I have always understood the DUI thing to basically be up to the border agent you are dealing with. If they are having a bad day or don't like you for whatever it is up their discretion on whether or not you get in.

Kansas Bound
3 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Yes Canada soon learned they were losing a lot money turning away a whole fishing party due to one OWI.  Canada offers for a fee, a waiver that allows certain individuals with an OWI to still enter.  The fishing party still gets to fish, the lodge still gets their money and Canada gets the taxes plus the fee.  It is a winner for almost everyone.