Sign in to follow this  
bmeador

Crossing into Canada

Chukarman

I have crossed the border a number of times, usually at the POE north of Malta, MT. If you have the right forms, NO CRIMINAL RECORD, and are polite, it should go smoothly. They have shown no interest in my dogs even though I had recent health certificates for all.

The only time I have had and 'issue' was years ago crossing into BC at Bonner's Ferry, ID for an elk hunt. We passed through smoothly, but were stopped by an officer about 15 miles into Canada. He made us unload ALL our gear and double checked all guns, asking lots of questions. Took about 1/2 nd hour to get going again.

Jim Vander

As others have said pretty easy if you have your paperwork straight, def bring vaccine copies and statement of health is handy though Ive done without with no problems. Tobacco and Booze seem to be a bigger concern. If you do the duty free thing before entering just have the receipt handy. Ive actually experienced more issues coming home than going over. Had the truck gone through pretty aggressively. 

Craig Doherty
On 5/9/2019 at 10:53 AM, SelbyLowndes said:

Sometimes someone on a Canada trip to our club house is surprised when an old DUI or something turns up and becomes a problem.  There appears to be a way to buy forgiveness from Canadian authorities with a form obtainable at the border for about $400.  I'm not sure of the details, but I've heard the story too many times.  Knowing Canadians, I doubt it is a bribe.  More likely a revenue line for the government...SelbyLowndes

Don't count on it.  I have a friend who had a DUI and was denied entry into Canada for 7 years even with a lawyer working on his behalf in Canada.  You do  not have a right to enter Canada and you can be denied entry for pretty much a whim of the customs agent -- very rarely happens but stay off your high horse when crossing the border either way.

SelbyLowndes
30 minutes ago, Craig Doherty said:

Don't count on it.  I have a friend who had a DUI and was denied entry into Canada for 7 years even with a lawyer working on his behalf in Canada.  You do  not have a right to enter Canada and you can be denied entry for pretty much a whim of the customs agent -- very rarely happens but stay off your high horse when crossing the border either way.

Craig, I expect there must be some criteria other than a customs officer's whim.  I've not known anyone turned down for the "forgiveness" deal.  They've all been pretty old offenses with the guys I know about.  Good point though about the "high horse".  It is always best to suck up to THE MAN...SelbyLowndes

terrym
On 5/9/2019 at 1:43 AM, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

Living in Alaska I have crossed the borders multiple times. Mostly it is no big deal, fill out the paperwork in advance and no one cares. Didn't even know about the 200 shell rule, probably had more than that left after the last bird hunt. Only trouble I've ever had is once we crossed back into the US at a little out of the way crossing in Washington. Two young know it alls gave us the 9th degree, made us show all the guns, looked for serial numbers, gave us hassles about the dogs, etc. Spent 2 hours before they had taken our guns apart and checked everything. In retrospect I believe they were PIA's and the border service sent them there to have them out of the way. Last time into the US the guard said did we get anything in Canada besides bad food and overpriced gas. Took less than a minute.

Bad food? That’s it, I’m telling Hong.........bad food.....sheeesh. 

Alaskan Swamp Collie
15 hours ago, terrym said:

Bad food? That’s it, I’m telling Hong.........bad food.....sheeesh. 

Gravy on french fries. Potatoes on pizza.What more can be said. Of course one can survive on Tim Horton's.

terrym
6 hours ago, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

Gravy on french fries. Potatoes on pizza.What more can be said. Of course one can survive on Tim Horton's.

Who would want to eat French fries without gravy? I don’t get it? I hate to say it but Timmy’s is in decline. 

Alaskan Swamp Collie
2 hours ago, terrym said:

Who would want to eat French fries without gravy? I don’t get it? I hate to say it but Timmy’s is in decline. 

Say it ain't so!! Timmy's in decline. I'll have to pack a big lunch the next time I drive through.

bmeador

Christmas in May. Toys for the trip. .

20190516_163417.jpg