MAArcher

Deer stand etiquette

MAArcher

If you guys find an old deer stand that looks like its been abandoned, do you leave it there to go to waste or would you take it?  Or maybe use it where it is? 

I've come across a boat load of abandoned tree stands over the years and have always just left them alone, and most have just gone to waste.  Grown into the tree, tree fell down and wrecked the stand, eventually taken by another hunter (my guess), destroyed by squirrels, covered in poison ivy vines.     

I'm getting tired of carrying my Summit climbing stand and wishing I have a bunch of fixed stands to put out and I'm thinking about all the stands I've seen go to waste that I'd like to have right now.  There's still a few out there though.  At what point would you consider it abandoned property?  

lee sykes

Do you seriously think anyone wants to be a party to this? 

sharptail grouse
27 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

If you guys find an old deer stand that looks like its been abandoned, do you leave it there to go to waste or would you take it?  Or maybe use it where it is? 

I've come across a boat load of abandoned tree stands over the years and have always just left them alone, and most have just gone to waste.  Grown into the tree, tree fell down and wrecked the stand, eventually taken by another hunter (my guess), destroyed by squirrels, covered in poison ivy vines.     

I'm getting tired of carrying my Summit climbing stand and wishing I have a bunch of fixed stands to put out and I'm thinking about all the stands I've seen go to waste that I'd like to have right now.  There's still a few out there though.  At what point would you consider it abandoned property?  

You must have some serious squirrels where you hunt - do you carry a side arm?

MAArcher
Just now, sharptail grouse said:

You must have some serious squirrels where you hunt - do you carry a side arm?

you've never seen a tree stand without the sling seat because the squirrels ate it?

C.J.L.

I get the coordinates, the name and phone # on the stand (supposed to marked) and tell the CO. That stuff has to be out of the woods by the end of the season here. Sometimes the CO's go get it, sometimes they are too busy but make the call to the owner to get it.

Found two pop ups semi crushed by the winter snow while running the dogs last month.  One still had a trail cam tied to a tree 40 feet away where it was guarding the bait pile that was once there. Called it in.  I won't steal other peoples property.  

Virgil Kane

Depends on if private property or not.  If on private property and you have permission to hunt then I would inform the landowner.  If he doesn't want them there or didn't give permission for others to hunt then take them down but put a note in a plastic bag on the tree telling where it can be picked up.  Not all states require the stand to be marked with the owners name so if on public property I would just mark the location and let the DNR know. 

As a side note to what C.J.L. says.  Some of those stands you see abandon are stolen stands.  Who in their right mind would leave a stand worth a couple of hundred dollars behind in a tree?  If your luck is anything like mine and you took it down, then got stopped buy law enforcement on the way out and it turns out to be stolen then you've got some serious explaining to do.

Virgil

sharptail grouse
46 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

you've never seen a tree stand without the sling seat because the squirrels ate it?

No. Our squirrels are apparently more discreet.

Only tree stands in use out here are archery guys and they apparently haul them out of the woods when they're done. 

NCgrouse

Pretty simple. If its not yours, then its not yours. Leave'r lay.

MAArcher

Most of the stands are the cheap Walmart ladder stands or more often, old discontinued models that I don't recognize that are probably 15 or 20 years old.  Some are home made.  

What would be the point in calling a warden?  About the last thing I want is a warden (or anyone else) running around mucking up one of the last little pockets of woods I have left to hunt.  

I've thought about the note in a plastic bag thing.  Or putting the note on first with a pencil asking whoever owned it to acknowledge.   

There's a couple stands I know of out there now that I should probably at least take down because they aren't safe.  The squirrels chewed the ratchet strap so the stand is loose but a cable lock prevents from taking the stand all the way down.  I hate to think of a kid climbing up not knowing any better and it twists on the tree while he's up there.  

What do you guys think about hunting out of what appears to be an abandoned stand?  Not taking it, leaving it where it is but using it?

MAArcher
4 minutes ago, NCgrouse said:

Pretty simple. If its not yours, then its not yours. Leave'r lay.

This is what I've always done in the past.  But over the past 20 years I've seen quite a few stands go to waste so I'm rethinking.  

Is there a point where its just litter?  

BBlizzard18

I’ve removed 6-7 stands from our land over the last 3-4 years.  Nothing nice, some old, some newer.  I’m sure there’s a few more I haven’t seen.  If it’s not our land or families land I just mention it to the property owner.  

I bet it’s pretty common for people to buy cheap hangers and leave them, then buy more. 

Dave in Maine

Depends on whose land it sits.  If it's your land, it's yours.  If it's not, it isn't.  A call to the landowner in that case - especially if it's deteriorated to the point of being dangerous - is a courtesy.  The deteriorated ones the landowner should want to remove so as to avoid injury to those on his land - even trespassers.  Obviously, if the stand is tagged with the owner's information - a requirement in some states but, as noted, not all - then a call to the owner might be a nice courtesy, especially if it's deteriorated to the point of being dangerous.

But I'd leave calling the wardens to those cases where it's some guy who put a stand on your land without permission.

SelbyLowndes

GA has no rules about removing stands from private land. My local deer club utilizes leased private land.  Members come and go, and for some reason they often abandon their stand.  Our woods are full of them. We have a club rule that each member may tag and number up to three stands as 'private' and no other stands are allowed within 300 yards.  Any untagged stand is considered a 'club stand' and may be used, taken, or moved by any member.  Works for us.  If I knew whose stand it was before abandonment, I'd call and ask before I removed it...SelbyLowndes

C.J.L.
14 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

GA has no rules about removing stands from private land. My local deer club utilizes leased private land.  Members come and go, and for some reason they often abandon their stand.  Our woods are full of them. We have a club rule that each member may tag and number up to three stands as 'private' and no other stands are allowed within 300 yards.  Any untagged stand is considered a 'club stand' and may be used, taken, or moved by any member.  Works for us.  If I knew whose stand it was before abandonment, I'd call and ask before I removed it...SelbyLowndes

Yeah but stands on public land (WMA's) can't stay over night right?  

SelbyLowndes
21 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Yeah but stands on public land (WMA's) can't stay over night right?  

I just don't hunt public land anymore, so I don't know...SelbyLowndes