MAArcher

Deer stand etiquette

topdog1961

A few years ago I started occasionally hunting a nice private property about an hour from me. I noticed several stands that appeared abandoned, but still safe. After several trips up there using a climber, I started using some of the stands. One day another hunter came up, introduced himself, said that I was sitting in his stand, and asked to see my permission to hunt there. This could have been a explosive situation on both sides. He busted my hunt, and not being DNR, had no right to demand to see my permission. But we handled ourselves like rational adults.  I showed him my permission,  he showed me his, gave me his number, and said I could use his stands but to call first to make sure he didn’t plan too. I now count him as a hunting friend who amicably shares a good hunting spot. You don’t see that very often around here. I don’t think it would have turned out the same way if I took his stands, and I wouldn’t blame him for being upset. 

Big Al

I don't allow tree stands on my property.  My lawyer said that if I did allow them that there was a lawsuit somewhere in my future.

SelbyLowndes

I am certainly not advocating stealing deer stands, and since I don't climb anymore I have no use for one.  I don't hunt public property much, but I would not remove anything I found there without ranger approval. On permission property belonging to my host, I would follow his or her direction about apparently abandoned stands.  On my own property, I know who has my permission to be there, and if anyone without my permission leaves a stand on my property, I will see to it that it is removed.  If it is known who it may have belonged to I might make an effort to return it, otherwise I tell my lessees to do whatever they want with it... SelbyLowndes

SelbyLowndes
5 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I don't allow tree stands on my property.  My lawyer said that if I did that there was a lawsuit somewhere in my future.

Mr. Al, your lawyer gave you good advice.  My risk management policy is to lease my land to a hunting club which is required to furnish "Hunting Club Insurance" naming me specifically as an additional insured.  That will cover defense costs in case of a lawsuit as well as loss/liability coverage.  Like I've said, I also do all I can to keep unsafe deer stands out of my woods.  A landowner has to either do or fail to do something to be liable for someone's injury...SelbyLowndes 

Big Al
8 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Mr. Al,  

It's funny you should call me Mr. Al.  A lot of my southern acquaintances, I live in Florida, call me that.  I grew up in Michigan and never heard that.  One of those local things you were talking about earlier.

SelbyLowndes
Posted (edited)

Unabashedly Southern, I'm afraid.  Can't help it...SelbyLowndes

By the way, I suppose you know it, but the Mr. prefix to one's given name is meant as a term of respect in the South.

Edited by SelbyLowndes
added last sentence

MAArcher

0497486E-C678-4722-BA38-932C6BD14539.jpeg

MAArcher

B1A4660D-7CAA-4272-B86F-07583192B6A9.jpeg

MAArcher

Those are a couple sweet ones on public land that just got put into conservation with no hunting.  Stands were old when I found them 18 years ago.

garyRI
On 5/12/2019 at 12:01 PM, SelbyLowndes said:

Boston Scrod is just a fancy name for fresh fish.

it is a small cod fish.

To get rid of a tenant who was stiffing me on the rent I had to go to housing court and had a counstable lined up to move out all the furniture and put it in storage. Fortunately the threat of eviction/moving out furniture caused them to leave (and of course leave garbage all over the place).