Eroc308

Kennel ideas needed

Eroc308

Hey this is my first post here, and im looking for some out of the box ideas for a kennel. I have a tri fold tonneau cover on my truck and im wanting something i can turn sideways and fit with the last section folded. I only have 18" to work with and I thought / hoped a Ruff Land intermediate would fit, but it is an inch to wide. 

One of my ideas is to build one out of starboard, or marine plywood. I cant really find any pictures of ideas, so does anyone have any?

Also Dakota 283 makes the new T1 designed to fit under the tonneau cover, but I am not convinced that is a good idea. I could strap the back pannel open for air flow, but I have a feeling some dogs are going to die from heat that get left under a tonneau cover.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Felix

I'm no help but welcome to the club.

CheckCord

Im with you, I would never put a dog under a tanneau cover. 

There are companies that will make a diamond plate box in any dimension you ask them for.

Chukarman

I have used birch ply to build dog boxes and spray coated with Line-X for durability and water resistance.  This is a lot less money and you get exactly the dimensios that you want/need.

MAArcher
12 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

I have used birch ply to build dog boxes and spray coated with Line-X for durability and water resistance.  This is a lot less money and you get exactly the dimensios that you want/need.

I need an odd size kennel for the back of my Excursion.  I like the line-x idea so you can hose it out after a muddy or skunk sprayed dogs been in it.  Just what I needed, another project.😯

Eroc308
34 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

Line-x is a great idea thanks

Mike da Carpenter

If building anything to be subject to the elements, there is no better product than Medium Density Overlay (MDO) plywood, also called Duraply.  It is a staple with sign makers for a reason. I have also built many kitchen’s worth of cabinets using this product.  If you are looking for a stable product that takes paint extremely well, I couldn’t recommend a better product.  I built a full beds worth of cabinets in my truck with the stuff probably close to 25 years ago, and my Brother-in-Law is still using them to this day.  I just built another set this past winter for my current ride.

If I were to build a kennel for the truck, MDO is the only thing I would consider.  Sure metal works fine, but well, I don’t work with metal as well as wood so I go with what works for me.  Must be the German in me.

Eroc308
12 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

If building anything to be subject to the elements, there is no better product than Medium Density Overlay (MDO) plywood.  It is a staple with sign makers for a reason.  I built a full beds worth of cabinets in my truck with the stuff probably close to 25 years ago, and my Brother-in-Law is still using them to this day.  I just built another set this past winter for my current ride.

Thanks, i had no idea that MDO plywood existed, i thought sign people used starboard or something similar. 1/2 seems more available than 3/4, i guess it will be sufficient. MDO is much more affordable than Starboard.

NECarson

MDO isn't very common, and looking at it, it kinda seems to make very little sense. 

It's actually awesome stuff though! 

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, NECarson said:

MDO isn't very common, and looking at it, it kinda seems to make very little sense. 

It's actually awesome stuff though! 

It’s so common here where I live that the 3 suppliers I use have it in stock in 1/2” and 3/4”.  They can get any size I want next day from the main distributor here in Detroit.

I’m postulating you Oklahoma boys don’t have to deal with the weather conditions and swings that we do up here, although I will concede that you have some pretty wild weather that we don’t envy up this way.

NECarson
4 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

It’s so common here where I live that the 3 suppliers I use have it in stock in 1/2” and 3/4”.  They can get any size I want next day from the main distributor here in Detroit.

I’m postulating you Oklahoma boys don’t have to deal with the weather conditions and swings that we do up here, although I will concede that you have some pretty wild weather that we don’t envy up this way.

I'm assuming that you're right. 

We get some wild weather, but don't see the cold and such y'all do. And you get as hot, and probably more humid... 

Locher

I got an Owens box that fits completely under my trifold tonneau cover.  The box is 20" high.  Most of the time, the box is under the tonneau and no one knows it is there.  When I'm hauling dogs, I open the cover up so the dogs get plenty of air.  My tonneau cover is a hard trifold that sits on top of the rails.  I looked at a lot of different covers but had figured I needed one that sat on top of the bed rails.  The ones that sit flush with the top of the rails wouldn't work for what I was doing.  

Not the best photo of it - but it's all I have right now.

IMG_0827[1].JPG

Cooter Brown
18 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

13 hours ago, NECarson said:

I'm assuming that you're right. 

We get some wild weather, but don't see the cold and such y'all do. And you get as hot, and probably more humid... 

I'd never heard of the stuff, and it looks like a great solution for a lot of different things.  I did a search for it and the usual suspects around here don't carry it.  Home depot doesn't show it at any store within 100 miles of my zipcode, and it's not even deliverable in to the area.  Didn't try Lowes.

Don't know about any of the actual lumber yards I use because they aren't open on the weekends, but if they have to get in something special you usually have to buy a whole unit.  I'll give them a call tomorrow.

We don't have the cold Mike does, but rainfall around here can be near tropical at times.

SelbyLowndes

I have a homemade two compartment two door kennel I built out of light plywood for a 1972 Scout and it had fit a couple of Izuzu Troopers, a Ford Explorer, a series of Toyota Forerunners, and every pickup I've ever put it in.  Truth is though, I usually just throw a large airline type fiberglass travel kennel in the truck and load both dogs in it.  They're kennel mates so they get along fine.  In a SUV they are as comfortable as I am...SelbyLowndes

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

I'd never heard of the stuff, and it looks like a great solution for a lot of different things.  I did a search for it and the usual suspects around here don't carry it.  Home depot doesn't show it at any store within 100 miles of my zipcode, and it's not even deliverable in to the area.  Didn't try Lowes.

Don't know about any of the actual lumber yards I use because they aren't open on the weekends, but if they have to get in something special you usually have to buy a whole unit.  I'll give them a call tomorrow.

We don't have the cold Mike does, but rainfall around here can be near tropical at times.

Yeah, it’s not a big box store product.  It’s typically sold through specialty lumber stores, or plywood suppliers.