Eroc308

Kennel ideas needed

Eroc308

I called my local lumber yard this morning and ordered a sheet of 3/4 it was about $88.00, and im going to try it. 

Do i need to treat the cut edges with anything special?

co_setter
32 minutes ago, Eroc308 said:

I called my local lumber yard this morning and ordered a sheet of 3/4 it was about $88.00, and im going to try it. 

Do i need to treat the cut edges with anything special?

If you are using truck bed liner, I would spray those edges, then work it in with a throw away brush.  Later I would spray the whole thing. 

If you have not used a Kreg Jig, take a look at them for fastening corners on plywood.  It makes a real solid corner and with a little planning you can hide the screws pretty nicely.

Mike da Carpenter

As for finishing, you can do something or nothing.  It’s your project, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but when dealing with MDO, it really isn’t necessary unless it is a certain look you are going for.  

braque du upstate

Another idea to bounce around are pickle barrels.  Sometimes called olive barrels.  Mine is the 58 gallon  . 22" diameter.  I actually fit inside it . Big hounds / 2 bird dogs no problem.  The smaller 40 gallon should fit . Screw top lids are escape proof . Food safe plastic is essentially indestructible.  I drilled vent holes . Add as many as you want . I think they are often better than the commercial kennels . I could hide them in plain sight . Nobody expects a dog to come out when i would unscrew the lid. Sometimes i'd toss in  a suv. They fit in the backseat well. I used them in bed of my old Dakota. Just screw a slightly oversized square or rectangle piece of plywood to the bottom.  A 2x4 would work .  10$ 20 bucks on craigslist.  Ebay has them. Really lightweight , durable.  Fine in hot weather.  They really shine in cold weather.  Add dry hay and they will keep dogs warm in the  coldest temps.  Couple of times they worked in the wife's sedan. Push the seat back to wedge it in place. Takes seconds to load or unload.  

Eroc308
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, braque du upstate said:

Another idea to bounce around are pickle barrels.  Sometimes called olive barrels.  Mine is the 58 gallon  . 22" diameter.  I actually fit inside it . Big hounds / 2 bird dogs no problem.  The smaller 40 gallon should fit . Screw top lids are escape proof . Food safe plastic is essentially indestructible.  I drilled vent holes . Add as many as you want . I think they are often better than the commercial kennels . I could hide them in plain sight . Nobody expects a dog to come out when i would unscrew the lid. Sometimes i'd toss in  a suv. They fit in the backseat well. I used them in bed of my old Dakota. Just screw a slightly oversized square or rectangle piece of plywood to the bottom.  A 2x4 would work .  10$ 20 bucks on craigslist.  Ebay has them. Really lightweight , durable.  Fine in hot weather.  They really shine in cold weather.  Add dry hay and they will keep dogs warm in the  coldest temps.  Couple of times they worked in the wife's sedan. Push the seat back to wedge it in place. Takes seconds to load or unload.  

That's a neat idea, I actually have one of the bigger barrels that I cut a hole in the end of it to make a dog house out of for my last dog. I have already started building one out of MDO, but I might get one of these for a backup. 

RuffChaser
On 5/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Mike da Carpenter said:

Yeah, it’s not a big box store product.  It’s typically sold through specialty lumber stores, or plywood suppliers.

They have it in stock at the Menards I shop at. Mike, do you have pictures of your work?

RuffChaser

Double post

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, RuffChaser said:

They have it in stock at the Menards I shop at. Mike, do you have pictures of your work?

Having never bought anything through a Menard’s store, I would highly recommend checking how many plys the plywood contains.  I know that Home Depot and Lowe’s sell products that have the same thickness as products I buy at specialty stores and plywood suppliers, but they have far fewer plys in the product which depreciates stability and strength.  The quality is always in the details, but most people Look at cost over performance.  Kinda similar to how people look at bird dogs and shotguns.  Sure cheaper will get you in the game, but quality allows you to appreciate the small things that prolong the enjoyment.

Never been one to take lots of pictures, always preferred to have fun and make memories instead. My wife gets on me constantly, and our boys tend to agree with me, but we are getting better.  HA!!  All I have currently is this video my son took when I finished up my build this past winter. Designing the locks was the funnest part of the whole project, as I got both our boys involved and it was a GREAT teaching moment, not to mention, we did it inside where it wasn’t -30*.  Here is the link...

RuffChaser
28 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Having never bought anything through a Menard’s store, I would highly recommend checking how many plys the plywood contains.  I know that Home Depot and Lowe’s sell products that have the same thickness as products I buy at specialty stores and plywood suppliers, but they have far fewer plys in the product which depreciates stability and strength.  The quality is always in the details, but most people Look at cost over performance.  Kinda similar to how people look at bird dogs and shotguns.  Sure cheaper will get you in the game, but quality allows you to appreciate the small things that prolong the enjoyment.

Never been one to take lots of pictures, always preferred to have fun and make memories instead. My wife gets on me constantly, and our boys tend to agree with me, but we are getting better.  HA!!  All I have currently is this video my son took when I finished up my build this past winter. Designing the locks was the funnest part of the whole project, as I got both our boys involved and it was a GREAT teaching moment, not to mention, we did it inside where it wasn’t -30*.  Here is the link...

That's nice. After seeing this i now remember the video. I design industrial hinges and latches for a living. That's a pretty good job on the latch. Next time if you want something off the shelf let me know we can probably ship out a "sample" and save you some time. Just signed off on a patent application for some drawer designs.

here's the link. https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/mdf-mdo-panels/roseburg-3-4-x-4-x-10-mdo-plywood/17928/p-1495626102036-c-13338.htm?tid=-3252343776342543481&ipos=2

I didn't notice the number of layers.