SelbyLowndes

The last Hurrah this morning

SelbyLowndes

unnamed.jpg.20472da65e7bde1b13c5652a6f9fd913.jpgunnamed.jpg.abb86124275c48554374b486302af0e6.jpgunnamed.jpg.cb93e8f9af70a425773f97e1d48542aa.jpg

My last hunt for the year was this morning.  What a beautiful morning it was! My buddy and I hunted a produce farm he has access to.  Both of us wanted to kill a bird, so we split up.  I hunted a recently plowed up wheat field and the turkeys put on a sure enough circus for me.  I watched four hens fly down into the field corner just across from my setup.  I could hear the gobbler across a creek from me and began calling to him.  He snuck in on me and I didn't see him where I had the best shot.  He spotted my decoy and began strutting at it about 55 or 60 yards out.  He simply would not come any closer.  I had three inch TSS #7s in my twenty ga. and probably could have rolled him, but I don't shoot unless they come in to 40 yards.  After about thirty minutes of keeping his distance and circling around the field trying to get the interest of my decoy, he gave up on us and went to the other hens which had moved up the field.  I still fully expected to kill him, but something spooked the whole bunch at the other end of the field and that was it for my hunt.  Skunked for the year...SelbyLowndes

My buddy on the other hand called in a big gobbler and killed him. See pics above: 

Millriver

It's quite a game we play with these birds, isn't it? Your buddy got a beauty, congrats to him.

rudyc

nice hooks on that one

MAArcher

limb-hanger.  Nice!

Brad Eden

Congrats to your buddy...wicked Spurs, and good for you for trying.

hobbes

Congrats to you and your buddy.