1. 1. What Name Do You Like?

• Trudi
    • Hedi
    • Greta
    • Elsa
    • Eva
    • Other

Keith E. Carlson

To a large extent, we need to see the pup before we settle on a final name.

Here are names of our string of five Brits and why:

"Ben"      born in 1976, hence "Bicentennial  Ben"

"Doc"     after a former Navy Corpsman hunting buddy

"Freddie"    had a lot of freckles, hence "Freckle Freddie"

"Chipper"   our first liver (brown) and  white Brit  , "Chocolate Chipper"

"Charlie"   another brown and white Brit  ie; "Charlie Brown"

in the field most have been occasionally (but lovingly)  referred to as "a**hole" or "SOB"

redwing

Elsa was one of Joy Adamsons famous lionesses, very common name for a dog here in Africa

We have a cross Rottweiler/ridgeback called Luna(Luma/loomah here means bite), awesome dog.What about Bamba(pronounced Bumba, means grab in Zulu/Siswati)

Creates instant fear over here when you call the name😉 

tut

Malley.  Short for Maleficent.  GSP's have a lot of Maleficent in them.  

p10086642_v_v8_ag.jpg

KDGJ

Greg,

Unfortunately all your names are more than 1 syllable.  You should think up some syllable names because it easier when you are yelling at them from a distance. :-)

Ken

WyomingArt

Had a GSP female named' Sal."  It was short for Salmonella.  Her antics were reported here in detail.  She was a moose chasing, porcupine fighting, poop eating,  sneak food off the table sort of gal but I loved her.  As she got older she developed a special hatred for people who rang the doorbell with offers of salvation, insurance,  aluminum siding, or sealing my driveway with used crankcase oil. Somehow she knew the difference between friends, neighbors and sleeze.

Sal the Shorthair  saved me from marrying the wrong person when she chewed my then S.O's underwear,  misc. girly stuff,  and stole her shoes. She did this often, and with malice.  The S.O. disliked dogs ( it was mutual)  and left, but  the dog stayed. The next woman loved dogs, never had any trouble with the GSP and they loved each other.   We're still together 28 yrs later, tho Sal the GSP went to the great grouse cover in the sky after 12  fruitful years.

mccuha

I  as well like dogs names with one syllable.  It's easier to scream there name when they're ignoring you.  I had a Lab once that really knew how to push my buttons. I should have called him" Sh** head" because he responded to that more than anything else.

kgb

I would think anyone with a young girl who has seen "Frozen" might have to select Elsa.  

All of our dogs have had single syllable names, don't remember where I first read that but it's made sense.  Next dog might get the name Ash if I can get the wife to agree on that one.

Trail

Almost named my current pup Gretta.  Checks all the boxes...

*two syllables.  

*starts with the consonant.  

*doesn't sound like a command (I always liked Nova, but couldn't use it)

*carries well in the field.   

*it just sounds good! 

:)

Treerooster
14 hours ago, Trail said:

Almost named my current pup Gretta.  Checks all the boxes...

*two syllables.  

*starts with the consonant.  

*doesn't sound like a command (I always liked Nova, but couldn't use it)

*carries well in the field.   

*it just sounds good! 

:)

I pretty much agree with this. I've heard dog names should two syllables and one syllable. Depends on who you talk tomorrow I guess.

Most names can be made one or two syllables. Many one syllable names can be made into two by adding an er.  My current dogs are named Tag and Cutter. Either one can be changed into Tagger or Cut.

I like a call name that begins with a hard consonant like c, b, or t for example. Easy to shout out a one syllable name.

Dick Sellers

I picked a theme for my dogs.  Current dogs:  Huck, Clove, Millie, and Reed (the Chessie).  No real reason except it narrows down the choice.

mccuha

I’ve been naming my dogs the names my g father named his. I try to name them according to which of my dogs look most like his dogs and that name goes with that dog. 

Rafterboy

I don't think a dog has ever been more aptly named than my current trainee GSP Saike.

Great for screaming - "for F^&#s Saike!!!!'

I'm hoping that as she matures we can head into "for goodness Saike", but that seems a long way off currently.....