blanked

anybody love to fish but not fly fish

blanked

i never tried fly fishing but it doesn't look like it floats my boat.   baitcaster set up and bass now that floats my boat.  rivers and lakes.   

topdog1961

Same here. I bought an entry level fly rod. Didn’t much care for it. No one I know or fish with fly fishes. Many gave it a try and feel the same. 

Millriver

My son loves to fish and pretty much can catch fish from a mud puddle. He has absolutely no interest in fly fishing and will laugh at me when I'm trying to catch smallmouths on a fly and he's out fishing me 5-1 with a Senko worm. I'll usually put the fly rod down at that point and pick up my spinning rod.

I will fly fish exclusively for native brook trout on small streams, mostly on dry flies. 

MAArcher

I love all sorts of fishing, but I don't think anyone would call what I do with a fly rod "fly fishing".  I don't know what you call flailing about and smashing you flyline into the water and spending 10x more time standing on the bank changing flies than actually fishing. 

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Millriver said:

My son loves to fish and pretty much can catch fish from a mud puddle. He has absolutely no interest in fly fishing and will laugh at me when I'm trying to catch smallmouths on a fly and he's out fishing me 5-1 with a Senko worm. I'll usually put the fly rod down at that point and pick up my spinning rod.

I will fly fish exclusively for native brook trout on small streams, mostly on dry flies. 

Sure. And some folks can find more birds without a dog and skip the expense and hassle of owning one - I did it for forty years. But those that hunt with dogs or fly fish understand that there is more to it than just shooting the most birds or catching the most fish. Most people that dislike fly fishing either haven't put in the time or don't want to. Its a choice on how you want to approach the game that's all. Nothing 'wrong" with either approach. Its just that one requires more time and effort than the other.

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

I love all sorts of fishing, but I don't think anyone would call what I do with a fly rod "fly fishing".  I don't know what you call flailing about and smashing you flyline into the water and spending 10x more time standing on the bank changing flies than actually fishing. 

Learning.

MAArcher
30 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

Learning.

Thank you, that's very generous.  Is it still learning if you've shown no significant improvement in 30 years, give or take? 😜

blanked

And those fly reels are the ugliest reels ever

Jacksdad

I love it all.  biggest thing is I want to be on moving water.  for the salt I've had great luck with a fly rod on rockfish but most of my time is with spin and bait casters there.  on freshwater I want to be on a stream with a fly rod.  far more entertaining for me.  

LabHunter

It's a great game.  I got into fly fishing when I was about 15 years old because I was really interested in designing my own flies.  I'm now 42 and still fly fish some, but not near as much as I used to.  I love close to the Chesapeake now, so I am typically chucking hardware for stripers and perch these days.  I still make it out to the local trout streams a few times a year to knock the dust off the rod.  I've been fishing those same streams for over 25 years, so part of it is just tradition at this point!

Dogwood

I like fly fishing but I love spin fishing.  In the surf for bluefish or topwater plugs for bass, large or smallmouth.  Pike on spoons.  Ditto for salmon.  Jigging for walleye and lakers. Perch on minnows.

Big Pine

I grew up in northern Wisconsin, and used to do a lot of perch and walleye fishing, as well as smallmouth. Usually we’d use a jig and minnow in May and switch over to nightcrawlers and leeches sometime around Father’s Day. Sometimes we’d use slip bobbers, too, or maybe cast Rapalas. I caught a lot of fish on spinning tackle, and got pretty good at it. Worked at a tackle shop for about six years and even did a little guiding. I probably fished over a hundred days from May until the opening of grouse season, and come winter I was on the ice four or five days a week targeting perch and walleyes. 

I still like this kind of fishing, but it doesn’t excite me like it used to. Nothing wrong with any particular method or tackle, so long as it’s safe and legal and doesn’t do any undue harm to the fishery. I just happen to like being out on foot or in a canoe on trout streams, where I feel like I’m in the woods, and I’ve come to prefer using a fly rod. 

topdog1961

And I deer hunt with an crossbow. 

WPG Gizmo

100% of my fishing now is Kayak fishing with spinning gear

sharptail grouse
13 hours ago, blanked said:

And those fly reels are the ugliest reels ever

Ha! How can anything be uglier than a spinning reel?:D