blanked

anybody love to fish but not fly fish

sharptail grouse
2 hours ago, barna said:

there are color indicators you can use on the leader, when the fish hits you will see the section of the line go under the water. 

these guys seem to like this method. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=graying+fishing+in+scandanavia&&view=detail&mid=3C37FE420E510A2D20C23C37FE420E510A2D20C2&&FORM=VDRVRV

Barna

Oh I'm familiar with them in various forms. I just quite using them because they are a hassle to cast and if you pay close enough attention you can just use the line itself as a strike indicator and skip the extra junk on your line.

kgb

A colored line, or coloring of the line isn't the same as the "strike indicators" that are floating elements pinched onto the leader and called a strike indicator.  Those latter actually float and suspend a fly----just like a bobber suspends bait or a jig/lure.  The presentation is now no longer a direct result of the caster and his other equipment, it's a.....well, it's a bobber.  Coloring a line or using a bright line that clearly shows movement is just a good idea.

oldbird

Love it all. Parents had a resort in northern Mn. Walleye, crappies, large and smallmouth bass, muskies, sunnies! Learned to fly fish and tie flies and enjoy it the most, but it’s hard to manage a backcast in an 8 foot ice house🥴I have fished the salt for bones but thats it. Would like to become more familiar with that. 

stwilgefortis

I didn’t grow up fishing, but i love to bream and bass fish with spinning gear.never got the hang of bait casters.

around here the fly fishing for trout was a bit too far away to be able to do it without planning and a large time commitment .had children who played sports year round so free time was at a premium, and i work most weekends. perhaps cause I didn’t do it much, I wasn’t good at it and i found it stressful-the time away, the gear, matching the hatch, the everpresent rattlesnakes,etc. it just wasn’t in the cards,nor did i find it pleasurable .my friends who love it can’t get enough of it,so it must be wonderful.just wasn’t my cup of tea.maybe in the next life....