Remo

16 money wasters

salmontogue
15 minutes ago, Remo said:

Excellent article, Remo.  I actually fared quite well, mostly because I am a stubborn thrifty Scotsman and also because they forgot to mention pricey shotguns and high-end classic flyrods.  I buy nice pickups and SUVs but run them until it makes no sense for more repairs, a quarter million miles at least.  I purchase new pickups and everything else certified pre-owned.  I have yet to see a certified pre-owned pickup that is priced attractively.  They are so expensive that a new one is only slightly more money.

bennelli-banger

Getting rich is relatively easy if you start investing at a young age--the minute you start your first real job-- make it a habit.  stay in your first house...bigger houses cost more in every respect.  don't get divorced.  kids are expensive, don't have a bunch unless you really want them...a few is good, but I realize some want lots...that is fine if you do.  life is short, spend it wisely! 

MTRookie76

I didn’t see dogs on the list.

Mike da Carpenter
16 minutes ago, MTRookie76 said:

I didn’t see dogs on the list.

First rule of owning hunting dogs, is you never talk about the cost of hunting dogs.

Craig Doherty
9 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

First rule of owning hunting dogs, is you never talk about the cost of hunting dogs.

I thought we had dogs and shotguns so we'd be able to eat free wild harvested birds -- the same with fishing.

snapt

I like to eat and drink well and visit different corners of this planet. I think I'll appreciate that more on my death bed than a robust bank account. YMMV.

C.J.L.

A 75 year old dude who farts dust and lived a boring life. Bald too and doesn't need the hair cut.  As a writer, bet he spent his money on booze lol.  It wasn't on the list so.......Right?

I do agree on the tattoos though.  The poorest folks seem to have the most.  I guess the carnival will always have a job opening for them.  Or if they are tall, there's always basketball.  

airmedic1

In my line of work I see people all tatted up, driving cars and SUV's that I don't think that I can afford, living in homes that know I can't afford that live on Ramen noodles at home with hand-me-down furniture but they still smoke and go to the bar but can't afford to pay us when we take care of them.  And then they want a discount on their bill or complain to anyone that will listen on social media out the bill being too high.

i would have thought that some were old enough to have gone through our last recession but they must have short memories.  My goal is to always have enough money in the bank to survive for six months without hitting the investments, retirement or living on a credit card.

SelbyLowndes

My barbershop has charged ten bucks for years.  I had no idea men went to "salons"?  I think I've saved enough on haircuts to buy myself another new shotgun with no guilt whatsoever...SelbyLowndes

Big Al

I can now do all those things because I didn't do all those things.

bennelli-banger

I saved pretty aggressively for 10+ years to get ahead and figured at that point I could kind of do what I want...$3 coffee once in a while, quite a few decent shotguns, been buying a few nice knives lately...a 22 year old that puts away $2,000 annually through age 32 and just leaves it alone ends up as far ahead as a 32 year old that puts away the same $2,000 annually all he way out to age 65, assuming the same return...                                            

Uplander

I agree with everything on the list, except “vacations.”  Travel enriches one’s life in innumerable ways.

Virgil Kane

$161.00 a month on clothing ???  I don't spend that much in a year on cloths.

Virgil

Remo
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

My barbershop has charged ten bucks for years.  I had no idea men went to "salons"?  I think I've saved enough on haircuts to buy myself another new shotgun with no guilt whatsoever...SelbyLowndes

I've cut my own hair for years. Anyway, I was just reading another article that quite a few folks cant afford a $400 emergency.