Dogwood

Best states for puddle duck hunting?

Dogwood

Excluding geese.  

What say ye?

quailguy

Louisiana. There are years when more ducks shot in one parish (county- Cameron??) than in the entire Atlantic Flyway.

Rick Hall, where are you?

bmeador

Lots of the midwestern states!  New England can be really good also.  And if you know someone in California with private wetlands, it can be fun!

C.J.L.

Kansas is purdy darn good.  

Grouseman_1

We hunt a lot of Michigan farm ponds with a great deal of success, and travel to Missouri mid November and Kansas in January to follow the calendar ducks. This year we are adding Ohio to the list. 

sprocket

I live in New England - I blame my parents but that's a different story - Here we have a lot of puddle ducks.

I was in Utah, at the F&W head offices - got to say, "Nice Rack" to a few officers that took it as a compliment - I also saw an excellent set of mounts that was lacking a Black Duck mount.  I offered to trade hunts, "You can shoot 1 Black a day every day but the hunts only last 10 minutes."  The officer declined.

There are a lot of ways to hunt ducks - I've done maybe 4 types, I'd like to do more - for me it's less about the killing & types - more about sharing a blind with good folks.

If you want a Black, coastal New England is a gimmie...

If you want a friend to show you the ropes, PM - My area is no secret - the when is though...

Rick Hall
21 hours ago, quailguy said:

Louisiana. There are years when more ducks shot in one parish (county- Cameron??) than in the entire Atlantic Flyway.

Rick Hall, where are you?

Was common to hear that Cameron Parish killed more ducks than the Atlantic Flyway when I moved down here in the mid '80s, but I've no way of checking on how much of that was Chamber of Commercese.  And a lot has changed since then.

The most recent official fed guestimates (for 2017) suggest the whole state of Louisiana fell about half a million birds shy of the Atlantic Flyway total that year.  Would be surprised if Cameron Parish doesn't still lead the state, which is generally numerically first or second in the country, but "best" is highly subjective.

quailguy

There were many good things about duck hunting in Louisiana; there were lots of ducks, the weather was generally mild, if the duck hunting was slow one could fish for trout.  

One day south of Venice about 25 miles we had at least 2,000 cans fly right over us at about 25 yards. Honestly I thought 5,000, but then i was so amazed i did not shoot while my buddy shot a double.  At any rate, more cans together than i had seen all added up and multiplied by 100.  

Rick Hall

I'd think the mouth of the river, where you were, Catahoula Lake and Toledo Bend the big three for Louisiana cans.  Mention of them sent me last season's species log to confirm that my parties didn't shoot a single one last miserable season.  But I don't know that we've ever taken more than a couple or three there in a given year.

Which brings up what may be my best name-dropping story: as when Justice Scalia asked if he might get a chance at a can, I assured him that my tiny pothole was much too small and isolated from their type of water for that to be in our cards.  And don't-cha know he and his buddy both shot bulls.  Man had some stroke.

Brad Eden

Not Maine, according to my waterfowl friends. 

Skybuster

I'd suggest the central flyway. Back in the day south of Topeka we would sneak up on a farm pond from the dam side, crawling on our bellies; jump up gun ready. Sometimes we's hit the jackpot sometimes no one home. All greenheads. Marais des Cygnes Wildlife Refuge in Kansas is huge, with hunting on part of the refuge. It's a big swamp and we were in knee deep water. The ducks fly at you from any direction, usually from behind! That was in the good 'ol days of yesteryear.

SelbyLowndes

Any State or Province bordering Saskatchewan.  Straight from the source!...SelbyLowndes

mccuha

I’ve hunted LA quite a few times and it does have good duck hunting but like so many other things it’s not like it used to be.  This is like a lot of other good duck hunting southern states. If you luck up and have a good old fashioned cold winter it can be on fire. To be on the safe side I think I’d go with one of the dakota’s During peek migration. If you want the best success I’d check with a proven guide service.  I myself hunt only freelance   

quailguy
On 5/17/2019 at 6:41 PM, Rick Hall said:

Was common to hear that Cameron Parish killed more ducks than the Atlantic Flyway when I moved down here in the mid '80s, but I've no way of checking on how much of that was Chamber of Commercese.  And a lot has changed since then.

The most recent official fed guestimates (for 2017) suggest the whole state of Louisiana fell about half a million birds shy of the Atlantic Flyway total that year.  Would be surprised if Cameron Parish doesn't still lead the state, which is generally numerically first or second in the country, but "best" is highly subjective.

Hmmmnnn. Yeah, I heard 2018 sucked for ducks as well.

Honestly, the best, most fun duck hunting I’ve ever done was in Scotland at night. THAT is a hoot. If you had the right contacts and place Germany was good as well. Not a lot of competition either. The sloughs and creeks near the Main river hold good numbers of birds. No limits either and we used lead. That was years ago, though. I had a friend who was stationed in Turkey who shot literally a boat load of ducks every time he went out.  The local marsh people would pole him around in a “boat” in the marshes on the Black Sea after the ducks had come down from Russia. he ran through a case of shells in a weekend.  But most of that took place long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.  

As Justin Wilson’s Beaudreaux would say, I have hunt and shot dem duck for years and I’m still not too good at dem. That includes Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna river; which in general sucks. North and South Dakota can be good during the week or so the ducks show up there before they fly south. Before and after its only mediocre. We’ve done well in Kansas so long as we get there while the migration is in. Texas, especially along the Gulf coast in December and January can be great so long as you’ve got access to an airboat and the damn drought hasn’t killed off all the turtle grass etc.

Maryland’s eastern shore HAS been great; but not so much now I think.  I’ve only shot ducks in Mississippi once or twice; I suspect it might be a good along the coast and the river. And I’ve never shot in the Pacific Flyway at all, a good bit of which is really good. I’ve got a Navy buddy who is in a duck club in Washington state who does really well.

So Louisiana has been the best place I’ve duck hunted in the US. BUT, my sneaky secret is my duck hunting buddy is or has been for years a part time waterfowl guide and his dad was a waterfowl guide on the eastern shore of Maryland for 40 years. I’m just along to tote the decoy bags, help load the boat and act as assistant.     

Rick Hall
2 hours ago, quailguy said:

Hmmmnnn. Yeah, I heard 2018 sucked for ducks as well.

I just thought our first split the season prior (2017-2018) took the blue ribbon for "suck," before suffering through last season's second split.