RookieEP

Gas Injection cleaners yeh/nah

RookieEP

Today got my Pilots tires rotated balanced and aligned.  Tech tried to sell me on a simple injection for like $15 then a bigger deeper cleaner for like $50.  Tech said it helps clean the carbon out and you get better performance.  What do you car gurus think?  I thought modern gasoline was all one needs.   

erik meade

how old is it?  have you ever replaced the fuel filter? is a check engine light on? 

In other words is there a reason to think there is something clogging the injectors? 

dogrunner

I use Amsoil P. I.  performance improver additive every so often it seems to do the trick. 

kgb

Might be one of the BG cleaners, supposed to be quality products but I have not tried any of them, I believe they have additives you pour in the tank and there is a device they tap into the fuel rails to run the cleaner directly into the injectors.  I have figured that when performance (MPG) declines with my truck I might spring for one of the cleaning companies where you send the injectors out and they clean then test for performance, replacing anything needing it.  143,000 miles on the truck, I check nearly every tank's mileage against how it's been driven, and have seen essentially no degradation.

I started using Lucas fuel treatment, on the advice of my engine builder friend who uses it in his vehicles, maybe it's doing about all the truck needs.  The gas gauge in my wife's car, a 2005 with 80k miles, started acting up this winter by pegging on either empty or full.  Not a big deal, we know how far it goes on a tank and just filled it up when it seemed time, and since I could not find any wonky connectors decided to try some of the Lucas in a little heavier than normal dosage.  After 3 tanks of gas, the gauge is working fine, so it's either a coincidence or the cleaners in the additive fixed the cause.  We monitor.

406dn

I'm far from a gearhead.

I've never used any of the various additives for any of the vehicles we've owned over the years. They have all lasted for many years of service without them. I do pay attention to how the engine seems to be running. Is it smooth when accelerating or climbing a grade? Has the milage fallen off? 

The lion's share of my working life was spent working in a refinery lab,,, testing gasoline among other things. Every decent oil company adds ingredients to their products to enhance the performance of the gasoline, diesel, etc. Each company will tout the efficacy of their additives.

Many years ago in an oil refinery there was a lab employee who checked his gas milage very closely. His co workers decided to mess with him a bit. Since access to gasoline is not too difficult in a refinery,,, they added a quart or two of gasoline to his tank every work day. His milage improved accordingly and he would boast to his co workers how great his car was running. After a time, they reversed their actions. Then some one would siphon a small amount of gasoline from his tank whenever the chance presented. The guy became extremely distressed about his car. While it seemed to run alright, the milage had fallen way off. After his coworkers felt he'd had enough, they left him alone.

Randy S

"Fewer repairs and increased mileage" are the key words for successfully marketing cans of stuff. Putting fuel in cans to add to fuel, is a process of cleaning through dilution. I treat my truck like the rusty old tool that it is and I get the same mileage at 200,000 as I did at 10.  I guess that's a neh.  

DavyK

I run a treatment of Techron fuel system additive every time I change oil (6000 miles).  Got into that habit when I owned a 1984 BMW 533I, at recommendation of my BMW mechanic.  Never have had a fuel system problem in any of my vehicles.  I buy the Techron at WalMart.

RookieEP

2013 honda pilot.  No check engine light. Runs fine. Mileage usual.  85500 miles 

erik meade

In that case, I am a nah.

terrym

I would skip the additives and pop in a fresh set of plugs and a new air filter instead. Also monitor your tire pressures. 

CheckCord
1 hour ago, RookieEP said:

2013 honda pilot.  No check engine light. Runs fine. Mileage usual.  85500 miles 

I’d pass.  Those treatments can damage sensors in the intake and exhaust systems.  They are typically offered at instant oil change facilities as an up sell.  I agreed to it on an Isuzu Trooper I owned in college, check engine light troubles after.  Toasted an O2 sensor.  Just my experience.  

WPG Gizmo

I dump a can of seafoam into the fuel system once in the spring once in the fall I also dump one into the crankcase about 100 miles before I do a oil change to get the sludge loose no complaints yet

max2

I like the Lucas in vehicles. I buy the Gallon size ( Always on sale at Advance Auto) and with the help of the little bottles for measuring I add one at every fill up. I find thing's seem to run better and I pick up an extra 3 miles per gallon when used. 

For the small engines mowers, saws, quad - ethanol free gas in 5 gallon jug with seafoam  at ratio  2 oz Nice thing about seafoam is there's stabilizer in it.   Gas in my area generally isn't all that great.

Rockdoc

As far as fuel injection gasoline additives, they're bull---T in a can!

My 2005 Dodge Caravan with its 4 cylinder still runs fine at +262,000 miles and I've never used any fuel additives. Same thing goes for my previous 1998 V6 Caravan that I sold at 286,000 miles, and the 1991 4 Cylinder Caravan which I sold at 251,000 miles. I never used gasoline additives in my late wife's  1975 914 Porsche, or her 1998 C230 Mercedes, or her 2001 RX300 Lexus, or her 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible. I did have a mechanic try to sell me some fuel injection cleaner additive. I said "What's that bull---t in a can?" I'm 6'5" and 220 lbs so it's easy to be rude to someone trying to screw me.

Steve

406dn

If adding a few ounces of anything into a tank of gasoline appreciably changed the fuel economy of the vehicle, every auto manufacuter would be all over it. They struggle to find every improvement possible. 

The additives are hydrocarbon based and are added to maybe twenty gallons of gasoline,, another hydrocarbon. The amount of energy available to power the vehicle down the road is changed only by the amount of energy in the additive. Most additives cost more per gallon than does gasoline. One would be further ahead to spend the money on more gasoline.