NOTE TO PEOPLE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP Read more... ×
GLS

Summer Project Turkey Gun

GLS

[If this needs to be moved to "Firearms" no problem, but this a narrow niche gun for turkeys which narrows the appeal for others.]

What carries like a .410 but shoots like a 12?  Yildiz TK12.  
56952_800x600.jpg

Picked it up last Monday at Glynco Academy Sports; carried the gun Tuesday to Sumtoy to cut the barrel to 20" for a screw-in choke, install a Skinner peep sight on the solid rib as well as a mount for dovetailing a post.  I'm hoping a tritium illuminated dot post will be able to work with the ghost ring.  I've sent the wood off for some art work.  I'll add swivel studs.  While the gun is chambered for 3", at 4lbs. 3.7 oz, I won't be feeding it 3" shells.  I'll see how 1 3/8 oz. of TSS9's works out.  I may blacken the action with a diy Duracoat or leave as is.  The barrel is satin chromed and needs no further coating.

I've run some numbers on expected recoil with comparisons to other guns I have:

The 12 ga. at 4.25 lbs. :

1.25 oz. at 1100 fps:  37 ft. lbs.

1.25 oz. at 1200 fps:  48 ft. lbs.

1.625 oz. at 1100 fps:  59 ft. lbs.

My Yildiz .410 at 3.25 lbs. at 1100 fps (actually not that fast, but for comparison sake I chose the same velocity) 7/8 oz. 23 ft. lbs.

My Baikal MP18 20 ga. (5 lbs., 7 oz.) 1.625 oz. at 1100 fps: 45 ft. lbs.

1.25 oz. at 1100 fps:  28 ft. lbs.

10 ga. Ithaca NID double at 11 lbs. shooting 2.25 oz. lead at 1100 fps: 42 ft. lbs.

With reasonable loads (excluding the obvious), it shouldn't be too bad in the field.  Shooting Longbeard 3" would be like being in a car wreck with 72 ft. pounds of recoil.  The 2 3/4 oz. LB's at 1300 fps yields 55 ft. lbs. of recoil.

Mark Larson (marklarsongunart.com) of Vancouver, WA received the wood Saturday and rough sketched a couple of proposals and I settled on this one.  Gil

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57037_800x600/]57037_800x600.jpg[/URL]

TO BE CONTINUED

mccuha

GLS. Why are you going with a 12.?   I figured you’d stick with the smaller gauges.  

GLS

I initially went to small gauges for the weight savings and handling characteristics.  This was made possible with the development of TSS being effective at  lead 12 ga. and beyond ranges with small gauges and light loads.  My old SBE and 835's were in excess of 8 lbs. rigged.  My rigged Super Bantam 20 was considerably lighter.  I then went to single shots which opened the door to the Yildiz TK36 at 3.25 lbs. rigged and my Baikal MP18 20 at 5 lbs., 7 oz.  The Yildiz TK12 12 gauge is 4.25 lbs as weighed by me.  Academy listed the 12  a few years ago, but it wasn't in stores.  I've only seen it recently.  What a deal at $140.  It's only a pound heavier than the .410 and 19 oz. lighter than my MP18 20.  I won' t be shooting heavy loads.  I'll be 71 Thursday, still fit and able to move fairly well.  These lightweight guns have added to my enjoyment of my passion for hunting turkeys and will make things easier for me as I age.  I accept that I am past middle-age as I am not aware of any 142  year olds that aren't  either Galapagos tortoises or Testudo aubreii (for you Patrick O'Brian fans).   If I can hunt comfortably for another 10 years I'll consider myself fortunate as long as I don't drool too much on my red dots and sights or fall asleep sitting back to a tree.  Gil 😉

SelbyLowndes

Gil is indeed a spry example of a septuagenarian.  He not only still runs and guns for turkeys but he is one of our rare GA woodcock hunters.  He hunts them in canebrakes so thick he has to backup a little in order to blink his eyes.

Good luck with the new Yildiz.  I think I'd stick to RST low pressure #5s unless you plan to add a weight in the buttstock.  That thing is going to sting with traditional turkey loads...SelbyLowndes 

GLS

Thanks, George.  I see where I made a typo above.   "Still fit" should read "still fat".   My "runs and guns" has mellowed more into a "stumble and bumble".  I think as long as I keep the loads under 1 3/8 oz.  with velocity under 1200 I'll be okay.  I think I can survive 3 shots a turkey season regardless of load and gun.  (Maybe)  I will still hunt the rest of my guns as soon as I camo the two wheeled golf cart to pull along through he woods.  "How far would you say that bird is, caddy?  Hand me the .410.  No, that's the 20."   I have a case of "Texas Dove Loads", 1 1/8 oz. of 7.5 lead shot allegedly 1255 fps.  I'll see what they do on the pattern board as well.  Gil

mccuha

I know like you said loading tss you can get away with lower velocity.  For a gun build. You’ll have more tied up in the specialty stuff than the gun.  

3 turkey a year.  I was told that starting next season they are moving the season back to the traditional dates of first of April.  I was told we ll have to buy our tags instead of getting them with our license.  Also the first 10 days of the season you are allowed only 1 bird. After that you can finish your other 2.   We ll see how that helps.  I don’t see how they ll enforce that.  

GLS

$5 for residents for 3 tags.  $100 for non-residents for 2 tags.  Split season openings, too--north and south.   As for enforcement of the 1 bird in the first 10 days, it will be mostly honor system.  For the most part, so are limits regardless of tags.    Gil

GLS

At the rate this summer project is moving along, it is on track to be a Spring project.  Picked up barrel from Sumtoy yesterday and he did a nice job of taking creep out of trigger and lessening pull weight.  He mounted  Skinner peep and base for blade.  Looks like I'll have to use fiber optic blade rather than tritium because the tritium post will be too high.  I'll start out with the fiber optic sight.  Wood is in Washington state and I should have it back in the next two weeks.  Gil

57048_800x600.jpg

GLS

I shot the gun Saturday using a stash of 8.5 TSS with a shot count of 342/oz.  The load was 1 3/8 oz. at 1200 fps as tested in a 28" barrel.  Mine is 24".  Using a Winchester Texas Super Dove Load, 1 1/8 oz. of #7.5 lead at 1255 fps (or so the box said), I shot at 20 yards to check poa/poi.  The load was dead center and no adjustment was necessary. I was shooting with a Limbsaver slip on pad, 1" thick" on top of the gun's .5" rubber pad. The calculated recoil was 43.81 ft. lbs.  which is within a pound of my 20 ga. Baikal shooting 1 5/8 oz. TSS at 1050 fps.  That gun is 5 lbs. 7 oz.  The Yildiz is 4.25 lbs.  Recoil, the "bite", was no worse and the bark was about the same.  I was wearing foam plugs.
When I shot the TSS load, I don't know if the ear plugs were loose or not, but my ears felt stopped up after the blast.  I don't recall hearing a shotgun blast from one of my guns that loud.  Floyd had his fingers in his ears and I could see him laughing at the recoil as the gun went vertical and knocked the bejebus out of my shoulder.  I felt the effects in my ears all day.  I hadn't shot a 12 at turkeys in 10 seasons and all of those guns were either autos or pumps with the muzzle at least 29" from my ears.  Because of the break action, I didn't have the added length of the auto or pump's action and the muzzle of the Yildiz was closer to my ears with a barrel length of 24".  If I had to do it over again, I'd want a minimum of 26" effective barrel length. Shooting the 12 made me appreciate the 20 and .410.   The calculated recoil of the TSS load at 1200 fps was 56 ft. lbs.  I plan on cutting back the powder and getting the fps down to about 1050 which is fast enough to be lethal.  This will reduce the calculated recoil to 44 ft. lbs or close to what I shoot in my Baikal 20 ga.  I realize that we don't feel recoil when shooting a turkey, but what that load did to my ears was something I'd like to avoid in the future.  Reducing the charge may help, but I doubt it.  I'd love to have a load of 1-1 1/8 oz. for this gun.  I'm looking...  Oh, don't even think about Longbeards.  The 3" 1.75 oz. load at 1200 fps has calculated recoil of 84.31 ft. lbs.    The 2.75" LB comes in with a calculated recoil figure of 55 ft. lbs. The pattern is below.  The economy of LB's versus a detached retina...eh, no thanks.  Center mass was 2" to the left of poa. I won't change anything with sight until I try the reduced load.  Yesterday I coated the action with flat black Duracoat to cover up the factory silver sides.  
If anyone is interested in rigging a TK12 as I did, I used Ramp #72313 and Marble fiber optic dove tail post #603126 (green) and the Skinner sight for the Henry Rifle with octagon barrel.  It has a flat base.   All but the sight came from MidwayUSA.   The solid rib of the Yildiz TK12 offers solid support for the sights and is flat from about 2" from the breech to the muzzle end.  I could easily solve the barrel length for slightly more than the cost of a $100 Jeb's choke.  A new TK12 costs $40 more at Academy.   Besides, it's always nice to have a spare gun for parts.  
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57239_800x600/]

57239_800x600.jpg[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57237_800x600/]57237_800x600.jpg[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57238_800x600/]57238_800x600.jpg[/URL]

While I was shuttling gun back and forth to Sumtoy with my project this month, SelbyLowndes asked me to shepherd his gun through as well. Other than refinish the metal with Duracoat Flat Black, my main role started with trying to convince him before the season that he needed to pattern it to see if it hit where he aimed.  It had a Polychoke on it and he never test fired it to check poa/poi.  He didn't get to shoot it at a turkey and the only one he had come in was about 50 yards out.  He was shooting Federal TSS 7.  He's not one to take a chance on a long bird and prefers 40 and closer.  He didn't shoot and after the season ended he decided to see if it hit where he aimed.  He put a refrigerator box at 50 and shot at it.  20" to the left and low.  He'd have missed the bird had he shot or worse, wounded it.  My instructions were to get a dedicated turkey gun built.  As many of you know William's metal chop saw has no conscience and off came the Polychoke.  Before cutting, without me telling him, he looked down the barrel and said: "shoots low and left".  The Polychoke was mounted off axis decades ago.  The gun's action had been refinished with a plum colored action but the barrel had been re-blued nicely.  Before and after photos below.  William mounted his vent rib FF mount on the rib where it first flattened out.    He cut the barrel to the first stanchion below the rib at 24".  His choke added another 2" to the overall length.  I test fired it with Tommy's Hot Rod 2 3/4 load with 1 3/8 oz. of TSS #8 (277/oz.) and a reduced powder charge.   I also shot Hal's 3" 1 5/8 oz. load of TSS #8.5 (342/oz.).  After patterning, I taped off the wood on the stock and removed the bluing with a Scrubbie and Duracoat degreaser/stripper.  Same for the barrel.  Monday when I coated my TK12's action, I coated the Lefever with 3 coats as well.  On coating:  If you are going to do it on your wife's washing machine, make sure she isn't around when you do it and you better be careful where you spray. 
57247_800x600.jpg
57253_800x600.jpg
57248_800x600.jpg

57249_800x600.jpg

57250_800x600.jpg

57252_800x600.jpg

57251_800x600.jpg

GLS

Oh, forgot to post the stock painting:

Light grain enhancement and the gobbler.  I understand displaying gobbler colors in the woods is not a great idea, but I'm a right hand shooter and the artwork won't be facing outwards.  I could wear a strutter decoy on my head as a hat to distract others from looking at the stock.    Gil
57203_800x600.jpg

57204_800x600.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Thanks to Gil for overseeing the transformation of my old 1928 Lefever/Ithaca Trap&Field into a dedicated turkey gun!  Come next Spring I am going to be a dangerous hombre to the gobbler population...SelbyLowndes 

Cooter Brown

There's some seriously over the top turkey obsession going on here.  Nice to see!

GLS

At George's and my age it's not obsession but over-ripened🐐 enthusiasm. 

Cooter Brown
6 hours ago, GLS said:

At George's and my age it's not obsession but over-ripened🐐 enthusiasm. 

Of course it could be that you just keep forgetting you already have a turkey gun.  I found a Tibor reel a couple of months ago I'd kinda forgotten about!

NCgrouse

That is cool as heck. Any concern of the paint wearing off with useage? Plans to clear coat or epoxy over it for protection?