REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
GB Jack

Anyone else collect watches on here?

Brad Eden
Just now, salmontogue said:

How do you climb out of the hole is the postholer is on top of you?  Inquiring minds.

Who's hijacking the thread now? 😉😁

salmontogue
1 minute ago, Brad Eden said:

Who's hijacking the thread now? 😉😁

It's always important to have an escape plan.  Sorta like knowing where the fire extinguisher is located, the life jackets are stored, the fire exits and the cold beer.

Speaks

I like nice watches but funds that would be required to collect them are generally dispersed elsewhere. When I go to a meeting and am sizing people up I notice the watch and shoes well before what suit someone is wearing, I guess those are just easier for me to judge quality on. So I make sure to have high quality of both. At present though my collection of Allen Edmonds Shoes is much better than my watch collection. I will very likely though add one more nice one after this years bonus. 

GB Jack
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

UJ Ad Sponsor Gun Dog Supply just announced $50 off on the Garmin Instinct Watch.

Great Segway!!!

GB Jack
14 minutes ago, Speaks said:

I like nice watches but funds that would be required to collect them are generally dispersed elsewhere. When I go to a meeting and am sizing people up I notice the watch and shoes well before what suit someone is wearing, I guess those are just easier for me to judge quality on. So I make sure to have high quality of both. At present though my collection of Allen Edmonds Shoes is much better than my watch collection. I will very likely though add one more nice one after this years bonus. 

The plant for Allen edmunds is about an hour away from me , I used to wear nothing but their shoes for work,

extremely high quality, as I’ve gotten older , I’m moved towards a little more comfortable dress shoes like the Cole Haan line . Like wearing a tennis shoe as far as comfortability. No denying AE makes one if the best shoes ever created .

WyomingArt
3 hours ago, dogrunner said:

They still learn it at Carpenter Apprentice School in my area. 

"Square, plumb and level."  I wondered if an age demographic that uses a cell phone instead of a watch would use a phone app for checking plumb and level 

Good to hear that apprentice program is teaching carpenters.  There's some practical things kids probably shouldn't learn via cell phones.  This might be one of them.

Sometimes it's hard to be a geezer in a world of digital.....

stephen brown

Do four working and two broken watches qualify as a collection?

DennisMcFeely

Yes, I've been collecting for more than thirty years.  I like watches of all types and price points.

Novicecamper

I like mechanical watches, got an oris that I never wear, also a marathon general purpose benrus movement, only 600 made. It’s my fav, wear it everywhere but work.

DennisMcFeely
42 minutes ago, Novicecamper said:

I like mechanical watches, got an oris

I think Oris are one of the best values out there.  Which one?

walt lister

I like watches and have a few, nothing real expensive. About 25 years ago I decided I'd buy an Omega Seamaster, I had looked at them over the years and was in a position to afford it. At the shop I held the Seamaster and was about to go for it when I noticed a Citizen Eco-Drive that looked similar and was a LOT less expensive. I was intrigued by the solar cell face that keeps it charged and it came to me that I could save enough money to buy another shotgun. It has now run for those 25 years with no problems or stoppages except having to replace the band that was damaged in a car wreck. I would buy another if this one ever gives up. 

RuffChaser
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Not watches but I collect Postholers. My collection includes the traditional hand held, the scissor-action, the universal, the double-pivot , the offset, an electric operated Postholer, a 2 cycle, a 4 cycle, a diesel, a PTO 3 point hitch Posthole auger, and am adding a cordless Battery operated Postholer soon. 

But can you dig a hole that is "true"???

spring

I can't at all say I'm a collector but do find them interesting.  One does a variety of things like keeping track of leap year to a stop watch to moon phases. If you keep it wound, it supposedly won't need any sort of adjustments for something like 120 years, and that will only be because of the slight differential in the earth's actual rotation and the 365 day year.  Crazy, huh?  It's cool to see the movement do its thing through the glass on the back. It's my weekday watch.  I have another self-winder that I pull out on weekends. Truly look forward to that moment each Friday....   😊

fullsizeoutput_3d00.jpeg

Zoli 16ga.

My only one that 'I think' would be collectable.

2019-05-30_08-26-03

terrym

Not a collector but have worn a watch since I was a kid. I have a couple but my daily wear is a Seiko Land Shark. Auto winding, waterproof. Great watch for the money.