REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
GB Jack

Anyone else collect watches on here?

Cooter Brown

I have a bad habit of buying slipjoint pocket knives.  This is the current rotation, about a third of the total.  Most of the ones here are GECs, with 3 Cases and a Hen & Rooster thrown in for spice.  The little damascus belt knife I put together with a blank and bubinga scraps needs a sheath better than the thing on the right.

2007485579_knivesindrawer.thumb.jpg.d255062a76c90da805375e44e8e0276e.jpg

steveziv

In remission after an adult lifetime of "collecting", more like buying, selling and accumulating really.  I've easily flipped a couple hundred over the years.  I had a small light box set up for photos and still have a box full of tools, parts, band and links.  I'm down to a handful of relatively inexpensive watches now; an Oris XXL Worldtimer, Seiko Prospex "Turtle", Bulova Lunar Pilot Chrono and a couple digital chronos.  I recently found myself seriously shopping for a PAM 91 but stopped myself.  I sometimes wonder if I'd bought that $1200 Submariner back in '86 would I have headed all this off?  I bought a Heuer 2000 and an engagement ring instead.  I really wish I'd hung onto this one, a TT Sub I bought for cheap on ebay, totally beat up and sent off to Rolex NYC a full service plus new crown, sapphire crystal, Luminova hands and dial.  I'd love to buy it back for what I sold it for.

P1010005.jpg

Novicecamper
9 hours ago, DennisMcFeely said:

I think Oris are one of the best values out there.  Which one? 

Oris 7521 TT1

DennisMcFeely
7 hours ago, steveziv said:

Seiko Prospex "Turtle"

Dead giveaway as a serious collector. I have the SKX 007

DennisMcFeely
11 hours ago, spring said:

Friday....   😊

fullsizeoutput_3d00.jpeg

Sweet Jesus that’s magnificent 

Brad Eden

I wonder how much Smart Phones have impacted Watch sales. I haven't worn or owned a watch for years. My iPhone acts as my time keeper. Dang digital technology!

Brad Eden

More good deals from UJ Ad Sponsors:

UplandHntr

I sometimes wonder why these high end watch makers advertise that its waterproof down to 1000 feet or whatever. Like someones going to test that with a $2500+ watch? If I had it sitting next to the sink and splashed it I would freak. Who in their right mind would wear it diving shipwrecks in Bermuda?

aje4

I think smartphones have impacted sales dramatically.  I love Oris watches and think they are a great value (kinda like SKB’s). Lol

Cooter Brown
14 hours ago, spring said:

I can't at all say I'm a collector but do find them interesting.  One does a variety of things like keeping track of leap year to a stop watch to moon phases. If you keep it wound, it supposedly won't need any sort of adjustments for something like 120 years, and that will only be because of the slight differential in the earth's actual rotation and the 365 day year.  Crazy, huh?  It's cool to see the movement do its thing through the glass on the back. It's my weekday watch.  I have another self-winder that I pull out on weekends. Truly look forward to that moment each Friday....   😊

fullsizeoutput_3d00.jpeg

One needs something to wear while doing the yard work.

DennisMcFeely
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I wonder how much Smart Phones have impacted Watch sales.

The quantitative impact of smart phones and the Apple watch are hotly debated among collectors of mechanical watches.  The fear in the industry seems to be that this could disrupt the (Swiss) watch industry similarly to the "quartz crisis" of the 1970s and 80s.  Xi Jinping's anti-corruption policies have also rocked the manufacturers along with inventory surpluses.

PaFlyfisher
2 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

I sometimes wonder why these high end watch makers advertise that its waterproof down to 1000 feet or whatever. Like someones going to test that with a $2500+ watch? If I had it sitting next to the sink and splashed it I would freak. Who in their right mind would wear it diving shipwrecks in Bermuda?

Why do cars go more than 75mph? Why do ammo manufacturers advertise FPS beyond any reasonable levels required for game. Why do pickup manufacturers vie for higher and higher payload and towing when only a few% ever haul anything? 

Some people love the engineering and design that goes into those and other ratings. The whole notion of a mechanical watch is somewhat emotional, a cheap casio will keep better time. 

PaFlyfisher
1 hour ago, DennisMcFeely said:

The quantitative impact of smart phones and the Apple watch are hotly debated among collectors of mechanical watches.  The fear in the industry seems to be that this could disrupt the (Swiss) watch industry similarly to the "quartz crisis" of the 1970s and 80s.  Xi Jinping's anti-corruption policies have also rocked the manufacturers along with inventory surpluses.

Tell me more about the corruption angle? That is curious and I hadn't read about it. 

There are literally hundreds of new internet based botique mechanical watch companies. They all seem to have very derivative designs and while they are marketed as a value option I don't see what they provide over the Seiko SKX007/009, Turtles, and the newer SBDC options? Or a Hamilton? However, the explosion of these companies suggests to me there is a market for mechanical watches, though perhaps not a the highest end. My generation has largely selected status symbols very opposite those of my parents generation.

DennisMcFeely

Bede,

This article is dated, but you get the idea; Chinese corruption crackdown

Industry insiders like Tim Mosso have talked about this extensively for a few years, although perhaps now they're recovering.  Another jaw-dropping phenomenon of the last couple years has been the Fight to Save Baselworld

salmontogue

My daily wear watch.  An Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer, about 25 years old.  The case and band are titanium.  It was a gift from my parents when I passed the USCG masters exam.

I also have a gold Universal Geneve and a Rolex that were my dad's.  He brought them back from Switzerland and the end of WW2.  After many years, the Rolex needs a new balance wheel.  If anyone knows a source I would be most appreciative.

My aunt and uncle gave me a gold Seiko pilots watch when I passed the FAA twin engine commercial licensing exam.

IMG_7420.JPG