PEOPLE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP PLEASE READ Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Building a Grouse Dog Book

Brad Eden

New UJ Ad Sponsor and new book by UJer Craig Doherty...

DennisMcFeely

I've read most of it and so far it's a really great read.  Well done Craig.

Craig Doherty
1 hour ago, DennisMcFeely said:

I've read most of it and so far it's a really great read.  Well done Craig.

Thanks, Dennis.  As I've said elsewhere part of goal was to make it a more than just a typical training manual although most of the anecdotal material is germane to training as well.

Msteffen

I got the book this week. The pup already chewed the corner for a hot second.

From what I've read, it seems good. May be sending some messages with a few questions once I get a bit further in. 

-Mike 

Craig Doherty
1 hour ago, Msteffen said:

I got the book this week. The pup already chewed the corner for a hot second.

From what I've read, it seems good. May be sending some messages with a few questions once I get a bit further in. 

-Mike 

If you don't mind and Brad is willing, I'd be happy to answer questions in this forum or another one so that all who have the book and see my responses and will be encouraged to ask their own questions.

Brad Eden
27 minutes ago, Craig Doherty said:

If you don't mind and Brad is willing, I'd be happy to answer questions in this forum or another one so that all who have the book and see my responses and will be encouraged to ask their own questions.

Fine with me. We use this Topic in this Forum for questions or start another Topic.

Craig Doherty

Comments on Building a Grouse Dog

Posted on June 2, 2019

Building-cropped-cover-300x152.jpg

“Good detail.  Good step by step.  I’m enjoying the book so far.  I like the idea of putting the dog up on the bench after training sessions.”

“I also like some of the detail provided about dealing with puppies…I don’t see that in many training books.  Thanks for putting this together, Craig.”

“I run Elhew bred pointers on woodcock and grouse and really enjoyed this book. I’m looking forward to implementing the whoa and steadiness drills.”

“I like how you interwove stories into the discussion of your methods, which makes it a more interesting read than typical training books.”

“I’m enjoying your book. Chapter 4 should be required reading for anybody buying an e-collar. The “yelp level” is exactly right. I’ve seen people so afraid to achieve vocalization that all they end up doing is torturing their dog without any benefit to it.”

“my father said out of all the books I sent him yours was the best!”

“Read just about the entire book! Hard to put down once you start. Very informant and a great guide for any pointer trainer. Many of my training techniques I’ve used for years were covered in your excellent book! Great job!”

“Excellent resource for any pointer trainer or hunter that strives to have a great grouse dog.”

“I run pointers on upland birds . . . and felt like you were writing it just for me.  I appreciated how you interwove examples/stories amidst the how-to portion of the book.  This approach made the book an enjoyable read for me.”

“Great read, thanks for writing it!”

“Thanks again for (the gift of) Craig’s book. A perusal leads me to think it is the best training book that I have ever read.”

“Enjoying it, great read!”

“Liked it so much, I ordered two more for friends.”

Wild Apple Store

WMassGriff

Got the book. Lots of good training information for all upland bird hunting, not just Grouse!

Craig Doherty
Paul Fuller of Bird Dogs Afield (also a UJ sponsor) knows a thing or two about bird dogs and his frequent videos on his YouTube channel are excellent. I really appreciate his review of Building a Grouse Dog in his latest email newsletter.

"There are no bird dog training books that I have ever seen that are dedicated to training a dog for ruffed grouse...at least none I’m aware of. Well, now we do have one. It’s Building A Grouse Dog by Craig Doherty. I knew I was going to like this book when I read on page 25 ...you need to work at becoming a hunting partner as opposed to a hunting master. Craig is referring to your relationship with your dog. There are two ingredients that make this book worth owning. As a past educator, Craig is an excellent writer. He knows how to explain training in an easy to read narrative. Couple his communication skills with his pro-trainer knowledge of dogs and we have a winner. Craig takes you and your dog from a small puppy to a reliable grouse hunting partner. Although Craig’s emphasis is on ruffed grouse, this book will be of great help to any pointing dog owner. Published by Wilderness Adventure Press, it’s printed on high quality paper with dozens of colored photographs. You can order directly from Craig"

snood

I'm about halfway through this book. Enjoying it very much so far, great info and presented well. Anyone considering it should do so!

DennisMcFeely
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, Craig Doherty said:
He knows how to explain training in an easy to read narrative.

That observation is spot on.