Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Spoton Collar, any reviews?

Urban_Redneck

Satellites!

MAArcher
2 hours ago, Urban_Redneck said:

Satellites!

GPS can be super accurate of the equipment is good, high sensitivity receivers WAAS and whatnot.  Given the price, I'm wondering if its good stuff?

RDG

I can’t wait to see the Wes thread that this collar is gonna give us.....

MAArcher
1 hour ago, RDG said:

I can’t wait to see the Wes thread that this collar is gonna give us.....

He actually does a good job of staying in the yard right now.  Wouldn't leave him unsupervised for any length of time without the assurance of the fence, but so far running off the property is the one problem he hasn't given us.  And at a year old, he's mellowed down from a complete hell hound of biblical proportions to just frequently annoying.    

DD Huntress
On 6/5/2019 at 7:47 AM, Urban_Redneck said:

Satellites!

I live in a remote area with satellite internet and satellite TV. They both work wonderfully when the sky is clear. Just saying.

RDG
23 hours ago, DD Huntress said:

I live in a remote area with satellite internet and satellite TV. They both work wonderfully when the sky is clear. Just saying.

GPS is a complete different satellite and freq than Satellite internet/TV. 

Rain, clouds, snow  doesn’t affect GPS. It’s 100 times more reliable 

WPG Gizmo

Browndog had one last year on his Brit the tracking info was not up to date in that it had a lot of lag.  It is not a real time tracker the signal needs to go from the dog to the satellite back to you and anything that blocks the signal slows it down accordingly 

The tracker would show the dog at point A when the dog was really at point G it was nowhere accurate enough to use as a hunting system. 

It might work good for keeping a eye on your dog in the neighborhood but in the field it sucked.

MAArcher
On 6/8/2019 at 8:23 AM, WPG Gizmo said:

Browndog had one last year on his Brit the tracking info was not up to date in that it had a lot of lag.  It is not a real time tracker the signal needs to go from the dog to the satellite back to you and anything that blocks the signal slows it down accordingly 

The tracker would show the dog at point A when the dog was really at point G it was nowhere accurate enough to use as a hunting system. 

It might work good for keeping a eye on your dog in the neighborhood but in the field it sucked.

I'm only interested in it for an invisible fence option.  Any word on how that functioned?  The tracking works with cell data, so its slow or doesn't work in remote areas, but I'm told the invisible fence is accurate up to 3ft (like most good GPS systems) and can be off as much as 10 feet in poor weather or periods of bad satellite reception.   45 day return policy so I might just give it a try.  I really like the idea of "portability" so I can go some place, like up to my parents in Maine, draw a fence and in a matter of a couple minutes have an invisible fence around their property.  

grouse28
2 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

The tracking works with cell data, so its slow or doesn't work in remote areas,

True. GPS satellites have no 2 way communication. They only transmit several different codes to earth.