Jump to content
Brad Eden

Smoker Tips, Techniques & Recipes

Recommended Posts

garyRI

If your gas grill has two burners and a hood thermometer you don't need a dedicated smoker for small jobs. For my grill one burner on low gives me about 200 F. I gather fruit tree trimings from a nearby orchard, soak in water, and stack on the burner that is on. I put the meat over the burner that is off for indirect heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
14 minutes ago, garyRI said:

If your gas grill has two burners and a hood thermometer you don't need a dedicated smoker for small jobs. For my grill one burner on low gives me about 200 F. I gather fruit tree trimings from a nearby orchard, soak in water, and stack on the burner that is on. I put the meat over the burner that is off for indirect heat.

I've cooked venison on the gas grill, similar to what you described, and none ever had the taste and tenderness that this rubbed and cherry smoked one did. Thats the good thing I'm finding with this very compact Smokin It Model 1. Its as simple as it gets and no more, actually less time consuming than using the Charbroil grill. Prep, close door, set temp and leave it for hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
garyRI
4 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

this rubbed and cherry smoked one did

If you used the same rub & wood I think you would get the same result. You need around 200 F/indirect, smoke, rub, & time. The meat doesn't care if it isn't in a dedicated smoker. With venison probably a good idea to use a pan of water. I'd put the meat on the high shelf with pan under. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WPG Gizmo

Welcome to the dark side 😁 there is a wealth of online smoking tips like this one https://furiousgrill.com/smoking-deer-meat/.

 

Get a pork shoulder and make some pulled pork once you get that down try it out on a bear roast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ruffneck

I have 82 lbs of rubbed pork shoulders in my cooker/smoker. Put them in at 5am. Gonna feed 125people give or take. They will cook at 250-275 for 8-10 hours.  

10208.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ruffneck

Coming along nicely. 

20190608_100158.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
garyRI
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

OK. The store didn't have any pork or beef ribs on bone so I bought a package of bonesless pork ribs. Sacrilege I know, but am still experimenting. Again, any thoughts on rub, marinate, cooking time, wood type temp etc., etc?

Some of the most famous smoke houses just use salt & pepper. I use salt, pepper, cumin & brown sugar. I'll let it sit overnight in the frig but not sure if it matters. 200-250F for sure. When I lived in Kodiak everyone use willow for smoking salmon but it was because it is what they had. Hardwood for sure. I use apple because I can get it walking out my back door. For something thin like boneless pork 2 hours should be enough but check internal temp and test/sample at 90 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigdog MN

Allot of people swear by Famous Daves Rib Rub.  I have used it on pork and its pretty good. I prefer two from Oakridge, the Competition Beef/Pork and the Secret Weapon. Have not done ribs but on beef or pork I apply yellow mustard, then rub, then Saran wrap and let sit in fridge for a day or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

IMG_1101.JPG

 

Dude....smoked venison roast, sliced cold the next day...excuse me while I go get some more. We are becoming Wildgamesmokeatarians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben Hong
13 hours ago, garyRI said:

Some of the most famous smoke houses just use salt & pepper. I use salt, pepper, cumin & brown sugar. I'll let it sit overnight in the frig but not sure if it matters. 200-250F for sure. When I lived in Kodiak everyone use willow for smoking salmon but it was because it is what they had. Hardwood for sure. I use apple because I can get it walking out my back door. For something thin like boneless pork 2 hours should be enough but check internal temp and test/sample at 90 minutes

I agree Gary, salt and pepper and brown sugar are what is basic to my rubs. Cumin is welcome as is garlic. As for wood, I too live on the edge of an old abandoned orchard so I have little piles of apple, red oak, maple, alder and pincherry woods all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Member bigdog MN had a box of Smoker Wood Chips shipped to me from the Smokealicious company. Cherry, maple and hickory. Not your everyday wood scraps. All heartwood form the various tree types. Very dense. Im gonna try the hickory I think with some ribs tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UplandHntr

Turn on Fox news. Myron Mixon coming up in a few mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ruffneck

The shoulders were done in 8 hours and the bone pulled out clean as it should. The plan was to feed 125 and 65 showed up. Lots leftover.  I'll vacuum pack and freeze. 

10228.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
7 minutes ago, ruffneck said:

The shoulders were done in 8 hours and the bone pulled out clean as it should. The plan was to feed 125 and 65 showed up. Lots leftover.  I'll vacuum pack and freeze. 

10228.jpeg

 

 

Ooohh boy...I see a rubbed pork shoulder in my future. What type or brand or mix rub did you use? Did you maintain constant smoke the entire 6-10 hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SODAKer
On 6/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_1101.JPG

 

Dude....smoked venison roast, sliced cold the next day...excuse me while I go get some more. We are becoming Wildgamesmokeatarians.

Toasted sour dough or rye, spicy brown mustard, slice of Havarti, lettuce and slab of garden mater washed down with an ice cold brew! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×