PEOPLE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP PLEASE READ Read more... ×
SODAKer

Grind your own hamburger

SODAKer

Getting ready to pull the grinder out, been in storage for 5 years, to make some burgers. If you grind your own what do you like for cuts and fat content?

Brad Eden

Im of little help. Never do beef grind. But will pay attention to this Topic. ( I typically add ground pork to my ground venison. Not a lot and by eye really. I do grind twice on course grind. Fine grind makes the meat too mushy.)

co_setter

Chuck is tough to beat as a cut for making your own burger.  If I use game meat or a leaner cut such as round, I add a little olive oil instead of animal fat.  I don't detect any difference in taste and helps me feel righteous.  😀

ruffneck

70/30 for good burgers and chuck is also my favorite. 

I add beef trimmings that I get from my local butcher during deer processing season and mix it 70 lean /30 fat. Coarse grind 2x.

Ben Hong

For a real treat try chopping your meat with a food processor, but experiment with the time. Great for small batches. But instead of wasting my time using machinery, I normally take two Chinese cleavers and double hand chop a couple or three burgers. Texture is everything!

C.J.L.

I like Ben's hatchet technique. :)  

Me, I course grind and I don't worry about %'s of fat to meat.  I like lean.  I buy the cheapest beef discounted because of the sell by date is about due.  I'll age beef that's got a past due expiration date in the fridge on a rack for a week or so then grind.  I like the taste better than high fat or store ground meat.  

lee sykes

I buy whole sirloins and use for steaks and burger.  Great flavor and not too fatty. 

kgb

I make meatballs using a pound each of veal, pork and beef, usually buy veal when I can find it and freeze until ready.  One batch turned out quite a bit denser than usual, not quite hockey pucks but they lost any "airiness" of previous batches.  Talking with a friend about this, she asked about freezing, which the veal had been, and about my process.  I thoroughly blend the 3 meats together by hand then add ingredients, further working the batch as it goes.  She suggested backing way off on that, less kneading/mashing/pressing being likely to produce the lighter results I usually saw.  That's worked the past few times since, and is a bit easier on the cook too, I suppose.  

Coarse vs. fine grinding may have a similar effect on the final product of any ground meat product, I will have to ask our butcher about that one.

rideold

Double coarse grind.  Normally I'll grind whatever cuts are the right price but yes, chuck is great.  This year we bought and butchered a cow so our ground is made up of all the trimmings.  No idea on the fat content but it tastes great...which is great because we have a bit of it!

The biggest lesson I've learned with burgers is don't salt the ground meat.  Make your patties and then salt well right before you put them on the grill.  The texture is much better.

stwilgefortis

Generally, high fat content is  a plus for tasty burgers.

SODAKer

What kind of fat, beef or pork do you all prefer?

Brad Eden

If I can get it pork fat back for venison grind. If not, then just ground pork from the market.

Jakeismydog2

I soft freeze the meat that I am grinding and soft freeze lard cubes too. Then I grind then together coarse.

fishvik

I make sage grouse breakfast sausage with sage hen breasts and pork trim mixed 50/50. Pork trim is about 50% fat. Which gives me a 75/25 lean to fat. Best way to use sage grouse.