Brad Eden

Your Whitetail Buck Preference?

Weight or Rack  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What your preference?

• 200 lb Whitetail buck with 100 inches of antler.
    • 100 lb Whitetail buck with 200 inches of antler.
    • Spike Horn.

Brad Eden

Seems to be a debate, largely regional, on what determines a "trophy Whitetail buck". Thus the following Poll just for kicks and giggles.

Samuel Hoggson

Not like I'll ever see a 100 lb deer supporting 200" of antlers behind this place.........

Brad Eden
1 minute ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Not like I'll ever see a 100 lb deer supporting 200" of antlers behind this place.........

Me either but with all the Farm raised mega bucks being bred...it might happen...

OldSarge

Like Dad used to say, "you can't eat the horns", count me in the big body club. I'd way rather have the extra venison. 

atticus

After 20+ years?  I'll take any buck and call it a trophy--to perseverance if nothing else.

Tim Frazier

If it were up to me I'd shoot yearling deer every time with an occasional "decent" buck just so I still feel manly!  Our yearling deer are usually 100lbs and there isn't a piece of meat on them that needs ground!

This is my trophy!

E37CE51A-BA29-40B8-B2EA-431CFDE268A2.thumb.jpeg.49c523c12930b2f29609025988411e68.jpeg

drummer's stump

I prefer a year and half old dry doe myself. I don't really enjoy deer hunting much anymore, but I do love to eat venison. Big bucks are a crap shoot on meat quality, it can be okay, or taste like  piss.

Brad Eden
13 minutes ago, drummer's stump said:

I prefer a year and half old dry doe myself. I don't really enjoy deer hunting much anymore, but I do love to eat venison. Big bucks are a crap shoot on meat quality, it can be okay, or taste like  piss.

IMG_0544.JPG

I've shot button bucks to a lot of does to a variety of bucks including several 200 plus pound dressed. All have been quite palatable. They certainly do vary, depending in how far they run, time of season and aging and butchering. The button bucks were probably the best (late season, late afternoon, thought they were does in bow management zone.) We had some backstrap recently from my buddies huge bow buck that I processed last fall and it was as good if not better than the backstrap from the doe I shot with muzzleloader. 

NCgrouse

I voted for the 200 lb buck. Lots more meat.

To me, I like seeing the weird stuff. Not just crazy racked non-typicals. For example, I think it would be pretty neat to shoot a 3 pointer of fork horn that has like 24 inch main beams, or the weirdo deer that have an antler that looks like its upside down.

Cotton1

This is an interesting question.   I personally try to find the best buck on my hunting land and and hunt him.   I like the challenge.   Now I have never shot a 200” deer and not likely to do so in my area.  We eat all the deer we kill regardless of age and do not ground up older deer just on that basis.

All that being said, if my choice was a 200” in an enclosed hunt vs a free range 100” then I am for the 100” every time.

Clueless1

Highly doubtful for me to see either buck so I voted for the 100# with 200" antlers.  Between my son and I we can get 6 doe tags.  That's more than we will use.   

Felix

I'll answer honestly. (Thought that might be a refreshing change)

If a 200 inch buck shows up, I'M SHOOTING IT!   That's huge.  I would gladly eat beef the for a whole year for a 200 incher.

OldSarge

I guess if they were standing side by side I’d shoot the buck with the bigger rack, thinking it was the more mature buck. Hard to field judge body size when a huge rack is looking at you. Ultimately, I wouldn’t pass on a 100” buck to wait for a 200” deer, and consider every deer I shoot to be a blessing for which I am thankful. How about option 3: 200# with 200”? Sign me up for that one. 

WI Outdoor Nut

I like to eat my cake and have it too I guess.  Between the two options, I voted for the 200", not that I will ever see a buck like that where I hunt.  We have very high deer densities and often take out a dozen or so doe a year.  For the group I hunt with, most of us don't shoot a buck unless it is 3.5 years or older.  Every year a few 2.5 year old bucks do get shot however.  For red meat, my family eats nearly 100% venison.  We eat steaks, ground, and processed into brats, links, hot stick and ring bologna.  All are excellent by taste and source of protein. 

sharptail grouse

If any of you actually see a 200 inch wild, fence-free buck on the hoof let me know. That would be a pretty rare beast indeed. And I guarantee it would weigh well over 100 pounds.

I'd shoot it knowing I could shoot a dink or a couple does any year. And if I shot the big antlered buck I could pack it out whole so I could weigh it. ;)