PEOPLE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP PLEASE READ Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Your Whitetail Buck Preference?

Weight or Rack  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What your preference?

• 200 lb Whitetail buck with 100 inches of antler.
    • 100 lb Whitetail buck with 200 inches of antler.
    • Spike Horn.

kgb
14 hours ago, garyRI said:

Lots of talk about big racks (140 point rack is big & 178 is huge) without any pictures.

We're a trusting lot here.

Disclaimer, the measurement was told to me and the process described, I have not tried taking the measurements myself nor have I taken the rack for an official tape.

The muzzleloader buck and doe were shot in the same general area, where the landowner would only allow archery, ML and pistol cartridge firearms, the 4-point was among the line of 6-pointers of 1.5 year age in another area that always seemed to show up on the opener. 

ML2011Buck1.jpg

MLDoeDec2015_2.jpg

buck2002Nr1.jpg

garyRI
On 6/11/2019 at 4:14 PM, WPG Gizmo said:

235 lbs dresse

I don't mean to quote Gizmo here. This BB is doing it.

Anyhow I had my best big deer year ever last season. Three deer that gross scored green 120 to about 130. The top two beat my previous best shot about 25 years ago on public land in PA. Part of my success was spending so much time & seeing these bucks a long way off during bow season. But IMO the rut in southern NE also lasted into early November.

SECOND BUCK.jpeg

IMG_1248.JPG

paul frey

Antlers don't do much for me.  Nice to look at.  Have never been a trophy hunter and don't plant to ever be one.  I think quality of the meat is all based on butchering.  Since joining my gun club about 10 years ago, I have made friends with a couple other members.  We get together and help butcher each others deer.  I've never had venison any better since meeting these guys.  We do all cuts and grind also.  I have pork fat added to my grinder meat.  Actually had a nice piece of backstrap for fathers Day last night.  Marinated in Spiedies Sauce (Italian blend) It was great.  Had the leftovers for lunch today!!!

Brad Eden
17 minutes ago, paul frey said:

Antlers don't do much for me.  Nice to look at.  Have never been a trophy hunter and don't plant to ever be one.  I think quality of the meat is all based on butchering.  Since joining my gun club about 10 years ago, I have made friends with a couple other members.  We get together and help butcher each others deer.  I've never had venison any better since meeting these guys.  We do all cuts and grind also.  I have pork fat added to my grinder meat.  Actually had a nice piece of backstrap for fathers Day last night.  Marinated in Spiedies Sauce (Italian blend) It was great.  Had the leftovers for lunch today!!!

Double like. Particularly the self processing part. Since I started butchering with friends and on my own, the meat has never been better. 

garyRI

This is the smallest of the three bucks I shot last year. Got it on public land in MA and they require all bucks to be checked in. Weighed 156# and gross green scored 120. 

I do not "get" comments about big deer not tasting OK. Because of the checking requirement I had to wait six hours or so to skin this one but I carry a hoist & gambrel in my truck, gut them immediately (I've seen deer checked in that were not gutted!!??), and skin every deer I shoot ASAP, typically within an hour of killing it to dissapate the body heat. I go for chest shots with crossbow or firearm and bleed out as a consequence.

ma 11 18.JPG

sharptail grouse

Was going to send a couple pics, but can't figure out how to send photos.

Damn - I should have claimed they were bigger :D