2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... ×
Riffle Runner

ANF 2019?

Riffle Runner

Any plans or a date set for ANF 2019?

Riff

dogrunner

Probably not I heard there are No grouse in Pa any more. 

delahunter834

I believe Aug 16,17,18

Swampy 16

I hunted there two years ago and was shocked to flush two birds in 3 days. Not all of PA is like that though, at least I don’t think so.

Curt
2 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

I hunted there two years ago and was shocked to flush two birds in 3 days. Not all of PA is like that though, at least I don’t think so.

In the same week?  You must have found a hot spot, probably should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

Tim Frazier
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, delahunter834 said:

I believe Aug 16,17,18

Yep, those are the dates.  I don't know how many years it's been now but I have sure enjoyed it.  I feel bad for those who missed out on the early years when for merely showing up you had access to some of the finest dog guys in the country (like Mark, RIP) who could help you work your pup on all wild birds.  Jeff is one of the most generous hunters I've ever met and even with dwindling numbers he has taken new hunters out, willing to show them his last bird it seems, just because of his passion for all things grouse and woodcock.  Many talk the talk but Jeff walks it year after year. 

The core group always shows up but I think the setting is a little rugged for some so understandably it's fluctuated from year to year.  Cover changes have made some of the best training areas less predictable but in my mind the real reason is the fellowship of some of the most die hard grouse hunters anywhere in the country and those of us that wish we could be!

Don Steese

When Jeff isn't finding birds anymore There REALLY won't be any left in Pennsylvania!

Tim Frazier
2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

When Jeff isn't finding birds anymore There REALLY won't be any left in Pennsylvania!

Boy is that the truth.  It's a year round thing for him, even this time of year!  He bike rides around his home near State College and is constantly marking broods and making habitat observations.

delahunter834

Some of these guys I only see once a year but are real friends,Great event

hmm363

What is the ANF?

Tim Frazier

Alleghany National Forest

hmm363

Thanks, can I ask what happens there in Aug.?

Clueless1

What goes on in the ANF stays in the ANF.

Tim Frazier
1 hour ago, hmm363 said:

Thanks, can I ask what happens there in Aug.?

Well it kinda goes like this.  In the evenings and mornings someone (multiple someones) but not everyone, will be running dogs.  Usually on Saturday we will go shoot clays at a public sand pit.  In the evening we eat and drink and tell lies.  Oh, and Cornhole has become quite the serious matter.  No drinking before shooting but someone a few years ago figured it was fairly safe to play cornhole while drinking...

The setting is pretty primative with only the woods and a composting toilet on site.  There is a really nice campground at Kelletville but the nearest hotel is a fair distance.  If you need a shower you'll have to stay at the campground or a hotel.  Usually someone is staying at one or the other so you could bum a shower I suppose.

This is MUCH smaller a deal than the other get togethers and if your feelings get hurt when someone challenges your man card cause you throw a corn hole bag like a girl it might not be for you.  If your a sanctioned clays shooter, or even very good...it might not be for you.  If your dog needs a shower...well, you get it.

Let me be clear though, the most generous hard hunting people who love dogs that I have ever met, have been at this gathering.  YMMV

hmm363

Tell me more. Is this gathering open participation or is it by invite?