PEOPLE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP PLEASE READ Read more... ×
ccavacini

Turtles layin' eggs

ccavacini

Happens every year.  Big soft shell (leather backs) turtles come up on the beach to lay eggs.  Tough to see their size from the photo, but they're big.

This year, they're two weeks late laying their eggs.  I cover their nests the best I can so the Raccoons don't dig them up.

Eggs should be poppin' in about 45 days.

turtles on beach.jpg

turtles on beach.jpg

MAArcher

That's cool.  Every year the painted and snapping turtles come up the hill from the swamp behind my house to nest and I try and protect the nests too. 

My last dog loved to retrieve them, and if not stopped, use them as a chew toy.  I love when a big snapper comes up, they're just cool to watch, like little dinosaurs roaming the lawn.

We've had some fun with the turtles.  Some how the dog got one into the house and in the middle of night, while I was away traveling for work, I got a panicked call from my wife because she heard something under her bed.  After I talked her off the ledge she peaked back in the room to find the turtle poking his head out from under the bed.

The yellow spot on this turtle show's that its a repeat offender, my daughter had marked it when Annie brought it up to the porch the year before.

1600173575_AnnieTurtle.thumb.JPG.ea8f9494a5c0f9fbd4e5878259c22c13.JPG 

I miss my turtle dog.

sneem

I walked out the front door to get the mail last week and as I passed the flower bed by the walk I looked down and saw a large blackish brown hump in it. Never saw that before. It was a snapping turtle laying eggs in the soft garden dirt. No harm no foul. I left it alone. Came back about an hour later and it was gone. We have some big farm ponds in the vicinity so it must have come from one of them. I'll watch it to see if anything emerges.

Korthaar

I've seen so many dead hoss mama snappers on the road this year. Must be because it's been so wet. I stop and toss them in the ditch if I find them alive

Brad Eden

We should start seeing the Snappers laying eggs in the sandy side berm of roads very soon. It can be quite the spectacle. They typically lay eggs just across the road alongside the beaver flowage. I may try and set a section of wire chicken fence around a nest to keep the coons from digging it up, like they do every year. We also have painted turtles come out of our Marsh and dignests and lay eggs right in the yard.

gunsrus

Sad but those Snappers will cross major roads to lay eggs away from the water . I see more than my share of squished turtles this time of year . How anyone cannot avoid a 2' Snapper is beyond me . Aholes !

Brad Eden
48 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Sad but those Snappers will cross major roads to lay eggs away from the water . I see more than my share of squished turtles this time of year . How anyone cannot avoid a 2' Snapper is beyond me . Aholes !

Yeah, some people are idiots and hit them on purpose or are just in a hurry and not paying attention.  And other do gooders who haven't a clue, stop and drag them back to the water not knowing they are trying to nest. The bastages can't win.

snapper1.jpg

Irishwhistler

P1040525Resized 2_Fotor.jpg
Laying Time ~ Female snapping turtles are on the move in search of sandy / gravel soils in which to deposit their eggs for incubation. A present day view into our prehistoric past.  This is a file photo, the image captured last June.  I assisted the old girl out o' the road she was on when I took the photo.👍

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

ccavacini
17 hours ago, sneem said:

I walked out the front door to get the mail last week and as I passed the flower bed by the walk I looked down and saw a large blackish brown hump in it. Never saw that before. It was a snapping turtle laying eggs in the soft garden dirt. No harm no foul. I left it alone. Came back about an hour later and it was gone. We have some big farm ponds in the vicinity so it must have come from one of them. I'll watch it to see if anything emerges.

You might want to cover the eggs, so the raccoons don't dig them up.  Uncanny how they can smell them.

Up North

Father’s Day week has always been the busy week for turtles.

MAArcher

Speak of the devil, she's in the back yard as I type.  Going to give her a few minutes to dig then sneak out and see if I can see her lay eggs.  The wife and kids have all seen turtles laying eggs in the yard but I guess my timing is always off and haven't got to see it.

99639886_Snapper06-13-19.thumb.jpg.82733e565c7768400a850da92a7bb1cd.jpg

Brad Eden
7 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Speak of the devil, she's in the back yard as I type.  Going to give her a few minutes to dig then sneak out and see if I can see her lay eggs.  The wife and kids have all seen turtles laying eggs in the yard but I guess my timing is always off and haven't got to see it.

99639886_Snapper06-13-19.thumb.jpg.82733e565c7768400a850da92a7bb1cd.jpg

She's an old warrior. Look at that cracked and healed shell. Very cool.

MAArcher

Dangit, I missed it again.

sneem
7 hours ago, ccavacini said:

You might want to cover the eggs, so the raccoons don't dig them up.  Uncanny how they can smell them.

I'll put some more dirt there. Don't want to bury them too much.

Birdcountry70
14 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Yeah, some people are idiots and hit them on purpose or are just in a hurry and not paying attention.  And other do gooders who haven't a clue, stop and drag them back to the water not knowing they are trying to nest. The bastages can't win.

snapper1.jpg

They say if you are going to help a turtle you find on a road always take it to the side it was pointing towards, even if it was heading away from water. Otherwise it will just try again and take another chance at getting schmucked.