garyRI

Anyone using a RV black/grey water tote?

garyRI

My new to me 19' Airstream has wicked tiny black and grey water holding tanks. I intend to use it this summer in my back yard as an extra guest room. Looking for a recommendation on a size/brand of tote and any other comments on use of a wheeled tote.

Curt

Using one in a campground is a piece of cake, disconnect, wheel it to the dump station.  Using it in your yard presents a little more of a challenge, where and how will you dump it?

Large capacity is good but if you have to move it around much or lift it weight may be an issue, figure around 8+ pounds per gallon.  I've never used one but I've seen lots of folks hauling them behind golf carts in various campgrounds.

garyRI
2 hours ago, Curt said:

Using one in a campground is a piece of cake, disconnect, wheel it to the dump station.  Using it in your yard presents a little more of a challenge, where and how will you dump it?

Large capacity is good but if you have to move it around much or lift it weight may be an issue, figure around 8+ pounds per gallon.  I've never used one but I've seen lots of folks hauling them behind golf carts in various campgrounds.

Dumping grey water doesn't concern me - I have a big yard. And I can create a sewage dump without too much construction but still looking for sizing info.

Bullwinkle

Dumping black water in your yard?

garyRI
1 hour ago, Bullwinkle said:

Dumping black water in your yard?

Didn't say that. I'll dump soapy grey in the yard. Black will go into the septic.

Birdcountry70

A while back I bought a used pickup camper and they threw in an unused brand new wheeled tank/tote. When I sold the camper to a friend a few years later I threw in the same still unused wheeled tote. The idea of using it just gave me the creeps. I can go quite a while by just letting the gray water go and waiting for a dump station for the black. Yuck.

Flush
On 6/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, garyRI said:

My new to me 19' Airstream has wicked tiny black and grey water holding tanks. I intend to use it this summer in my back yard as an extra guest room. Looking for a recommendation on a size/brand of tote and any other comments on use of a wheeled tote.

I bought a Thetford 12gallon wheeled tote off Amazon earlier this year and have used it a couple of times. 

It worked fine, but I'm certainly no expert on these things nor do I want to be one.

I will say I have been using the Walex bio-pak toilet drop in things regularly and they do seem to help making the transferring process a lot less smelly 

Brad Eden

No advice in toting. But, It was a common practice, in Maine at least, for gray water from sinks, washing machines and dishwashers (not toilet) to pipe out the cellar into a dry well, or even out into the yard. (Dry wells are or were hand dug deep holes filled with stone) That was the case with our old farmhouse that we bought in 1988 and lived in for 26 years. We had to divert that gray water pipe into the septic system upon sale to pass inspection for the buyers financing/bank. It was a hassle and a half since we had to blast through a granite rock foundation to access the septic pipe under the bathroom which was in a crawl space.

KenB

I had one with the old camper.  Used it maybe twice before I decided it was less work to teach the family to conserve water than it was to haul that thing back and forth to the dump station. I found that if you're not the one emptying it, there will be little water conservation going on and it'll become your part time job keeping up with it.  Grey water was the only water I'd haul in the portable tank.  Black water involved a trip for the whole trailer to the dump station.

If you're going to willingly accept the position of Sanitation Engineer, you might as well get the biggest mobile tank you can store (it's almost always in storage) and have the ability to move (small wheels, giant tank, soft ground won't work).  Very quickly you'll tire of the process and you'll be looking to move the trailer closer to a sanitary sewer access point, or adding a dedicated drain field to the property.  

Now I just let the grey water go on the ground and into the landscaping if we have any in the tank when we get home from a trip.  Our new trailer has a composting toilet so we don't deal with the typical 10-30 gallons of black water a dump entails anymore.  The composting toilet (Natures Head) has it's own disposal issues, but I feel they are less nasty than dealing with liquid sewage on a regular basis.

If this is a long term arrangement, figure out how to hook into a sanitary sewer.  The blue boy is no fun.

HTH, Ken

garyRI
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

No advice in toting. But, It was a common practice, in Maine at least, for gray water from sinks, washing machines and dishwashers (not toilet) to pipe out the cellar into a dry well, or even out into the yard. (Dry wells are or were hand dug deep holes filled with stone) That was the case with our old farmhouse that we bought in 1988 and lived in for 26 years. We had to divert that gray water pipe into the septic system upon sale to pass inspection for the buyers financing/bank. It was a hassle and a half since we had to blast through a granite rock foundation to access the septic pipe under the bathroom which was in a crawl space.

Was also common in MA before regulations forbid the practice.

garyRI

Appreciate everyones input.