charlo slim

vehicle value?

charlo slim

Full disclosure: yes, I know -- whatever someone is wiling to pay for it, correct?  Looking (semi-long distance) at a 2001 GMC Yukon XL, with 83k miles, 4x4, private party, one owner, with all service records, well maintained, always garaged,  etc., etc.,  yada yada.  ASSUMING the rig is clean, straight, and passes quick review by trusted mechanic, approx what should it be worth?  Northern Rocky Mountains, of course.  Thanks for any guidance!

Birdcountry70

That is super low mileage for an 18 year old Yukon.  We had an 02 suburban that we ran up over 200k without a hiccup. I wish I could have bought a rig like that to replace it but she wanted a new Durango instead. She loves it and the 25mpg highway is nice compared to the 15mpg suburban but it was expensive by my cheapskate standards. I'm just guessing, haven't looked anything up but I would expect a car lot to ask 11 or 12k and I would think a good private party deal would be in the 8-9k range. Only that high because of the mileage. I tried to sell our 203k miles loaded suburban and couldn't even get $2500 for it because of the high mileage. I'm in Northern MT.

Marc Ret

Kelley Blue Book  shows $4350-$6800 (Excellent Condition) for a private party sale in my area. I'm doubtful you'd actually find one for even the high end figure though. Birdcountry's estimate of $8-$9K seems much more realistic IMO. 

gunsrus

Bought my '99 Tahoe 2 door "grouse mobile" two years ago on EBay auction , 125,000 miles , Georgia car . They are kind of rare because of 2 door . Buy it now at $12,999 , I bid $6100 and won it . It worked out well . I've put a few bucks into it but no leaks , no problems . I'm happy . 

Mike da Carpenter

Last year, our boys pooled their money when we found them a truck.  It is a 2000 Chevy Silverado, original owner (bought it as a retirement gift to himself), 167,000 miles, Z-71, 4 pages of maintenance records (Date, mileage and repair made) along with all the corresponding receipts, from the Chevy Dealer, that matched up with his maintenance log.  Truck was in immaculate shape, especially after going through 18 Michigan winters.

I told the seller that I wasn’t buying it, that the boys were and it was 100% their money (they were 14&12 at the time...yes, it was THAT good of a deal to buy 2 years early).  The seller’s only request is that they don’t jack it up and put big mud tires on it, and that they don’t put a “loud a$$” exhaust on it.  If they agreed to that, he would take $4000 for the truck.

The boys had no clue as to value of the money (still don’t), but I quickly stuck out my hand and said “DEAL”.  Couldn’t be happier, and we have an agreement as to the chain of ownership of the truck.  I hope to buy it from them in about 5 years as long as it’s still on the road (to use as my back and forth to work truck) as it is better than the first 5 vehicles My wife and I ever owned when first starting out.

mister grouse

That is exactly what I would want in a used suburban.  I have a 2004 from a scoutmaster, that I bought a few years ago and it had every record,.  Does your target have the extra transmission cooler on it as well.?  Great accessory.  I bought a 2004 suburban with under 100,000 from a professor in Idaho some years ago for under 4000--best vehicle out there for western bird hunting and fishing . Other than tires and batteries it has been a zero cost ruck.  

Jacksdad

I’d look to get in for 5-6k.  Closer to 10 gets you into the next gen.   

I do agree though that truck would sell easily for 8-9k all day long.  

WAGinVA

Check the NADA guide.

DonT

Car dealers use Manheim Market Report,MMR, I have access so I looked it up.  $7000+ in nice condition is their retail number in your area for a SLE a SLT (leather) would be more ?$500?.  But with under 100k miles is a big anomaly average is 220K miles.  On the East Coast a dealer get around $8K-$9K  private sale would be $7K-$8K.  But this is the case of do you buy a older truck with low miles or a little newer truck with a little more miles.  

I owned a 2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71 that was a solid truck. 

bobman

Is rust an issue where it is that’s the only thing you can’t fix

Mike da Carpenter
38 minutes ago, bobman said:

Is rust an issue where it is that’s the only thing you can’t fix

ANYTHING is fixable with the correct products.

Previous owner used Great Stuff spray foam and Bondo.  Holds all kinds of water/dirt/salt trapped between foam and metal. PLEASE DON’T EVER DO THIS TO YOURSELF OR ANYONE YOU CARE ABOUT.

Here is what it did...

EAF3E30F-14E8-4948-86E0-5FBCF43314E5.thumb.jpeg.5d0033a55b8e648cffa818d833728a3a.jpeg

BCD24278-56E4-49BB-8447-3A6A57EA41D3.thumb.jpeg.9da64aab3b0f13ea703242dd330e6772.jpeg

79B82918-4661-44EF-9CE9-788175314770.thumb.jpeg.3b4826828efdc4e668fc8214bf568373.jpeg

Then we used metal slip slip on Rocker panels and fiberglass after cutting all the rust out.  It was a fun project to do with the boys this spring between on and off days of rain.  Even did some fiberglass repairs on the wheel wells and then covered up with fender flares.  

AF24AEDB-15CE-47F3-8935-0A72B559512D.thumb.jpeg.20739f55d7b8a9b51035a77d7979f4ac.jpeg

B69F2147-8C3B-4166-8F3E-796FE83D5F9C.thumb.jpeg.8e5f474bff2de5457c189b5bdf623b1a.jpeg

30457144-EF25-4765-BFF2-3A3E12CB26DB.thumb.jpeg.2bdd25f0728b917b1d32bfe02454cf3e.jpeg

8771CFC3-0320-4F0C-B125-8B6A3C996E0A.thumb.jpeg.eafd66d4efa29c949193f9a44e974166.jpeg

53B13E1F-8545-4926-9019-05BAC547DCE1.thumb.jpeg.574ec32bd652d84140d99fa92bceac59.jpeg

7605D648-A3E1-483D-9317-0A16B68B9AEF.thumb.jpeg.a84ed50048aaacd34d44a8bcda962ef6.jpeg

Is it perfect?  Nope, but it is a couple kid’s first vehicle and will make a lot of memories for both of them.

Now to to teach them how to do a clay bar treatment to the paint job of the truck and then finally how to wax it.  They already hate having a black truck as it needs to be washed a couple times a week if you want it to look clean (the only reason I drive white vehicles for the last 20 years is because my first new truck was a Black one and I will NOT make that mistake again HA!!)

25/06
16 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Full disclosure: yes, I know -- whatever someone is wiling to pay for it, correct?  Looking (semi-long distance) at a 2001 GMC Yukon XL, with 83k miles, 4x4, private party, one owner, with all service records, well maintained, always garaged,  etc., etc.,  yada yada.  ASSUMING the rig is clean, straight, and passes quick review by trusted mechanic, approx what should it be worth?  Northern Rocky Mountains, of course.  Thanks for any guidance!

83k of all gravel washboard roads or city driving is a lot of miles. 83K worth of rural South Dakota interstate, the car is just getting broken in.

Check the accident report sites to see what the record was and how many owners. The guys that fix up "repairable vehicles" are pretty dam sophisticated. You can take a vehicle that is damaged in one state move it to another register it and then move it again and presto it no longer has a salvage title. I live in a state with pretty lax laws and there are two auction houses that specialize in these cars within 30 miles of me. If I see an extensive ownership trail I will pass regardless of reported accidents.

As far as value I talk to my bank and see what the true loan value is regardless if I intend to take a loan. I try to pay that number or a fuzz more if it is what I really want or is very clean. The blue book value the bank gets and the numbers we get on line are not the same.

Flush

I think in the $8-10K range is a pretty reasonable asking price considering the mileage and assuming all is as it stated.

Anything less than $8k would be a pretty good deal IMHO

I picked up a 2004 Z71 Suburban with 155k miles for $6.5k a couple years ago and am glad I did. 

charlo slim

Thanks very much all - helpful stuff.  The deal bombed -- oh..... it is NOT an XL you say?  No, dumbass, that is why it is 2 feet shorter than than an xl  (as appeared in your ad)!   Admit that I thought briefly about trying to buy it anyway, until I figured out that trying to sleep in back on occasion was going to be kinky (not in a good way) and that the occasional 4x8 sheet of plywood would require a trailer or a saw.  

Too bad, or maybe not.  Running 100 miles in the opposite direction to Whitefish in the morning to look at a private 2004 burb, 104k mi, 1 owner, etc @ $8500 asking. If it is clean and straight with no major issues - it will come home with us and I will be thankfully done with this caper for quite some time. 

Thanks again.

Mike da Carpenter

Good call on skipping the shorter version.  I had a 2013 Tahoe and to this day regret getting it.  Really wish I had bought a basic suburban as I’d still be driving it and would till close to retirement.  It was just way to short for me and the 3rd row seat were a joke.  

Good of luck tomorrow.  Let us know how you do.