NOTE TO PEOPLE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP Read more... ×
GB Jack

Rgs/ Lisa Williams collaboration article

GB Jack
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

There's nothing inaccurate in the statement at all.  I said Williams said that in the webinar, and that if a healthy grouse has the antibodies in hunting season, it has survived exposure.

I did not find any odd acting or sickly birds in '17, but heard the stories.  Is there any proof that those birds were in that condition because of WNV infection (not just that they were exposed and had antibodies)?  If there is, I haven't seen it.  Please post a link if you have one--I'd like to see it.

The last I looked into it, it hadn't been determined if a hen can pass the resistance to its chicks.

As it stands now, WNV is here to stay, and grouse are at least somewhat susceptible.  What we know for sure is that habitat is the critical factor to sustain and enhance ruff pops.

You’re statement was that wnv infected birds would be dead by season, that was incorrect, yes there is proof some of those birds had wnv as they were sent to the mi state lab from our network  and all were from our county . They didn’t want the gamut of birds that our group found, only two . All four we’re infected 

Cooter Brown
2 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

You’re statement was that wnv infected birds would be dead by season, that was incorrect, yes there is proof some of those birds had wnv as they were sent to the mi state lab from our network  and all were from our county . They didn’t want the gamut of birds that our group found, only four. All four we’re infected 

Infected or exposed?  Please post a link.

GB Jack
23 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Infected or exposed?  Please post a link.

A link to what? Being Infected? . I’m not going to get side railed , but guessing  this is what your looking for?.  They two iron birds were from 12 miles from our camp. In October . These were the only two samples they wanted from iron. We had others . The birds were given and offered to Monica Joeseph, near Amasa.

Once again in 2017, many groups in both NE Wisconsin and the yoop, were finding this . Last year appeared way different. Wisconsin had NO interest in taking suspected birds in 2017, which is a shame .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/922644001

Cooter Brown
1 minute ago, GB Jack said:

A link to what? Being Infected . I’m not going to get side railed , but if this is what your looking for .  They two iron birds were from 12 miles from our camp. In October 

I'm not trying to side rail you, I just want to see the data, or a communication from the state saying the birds were infected with WNV, because this contradicts what I understood to be the case.

But the bottom line is that it doesn't matter in practical terms.  WNV is here to stay, whenever it kills them, and habitat is key.  Grouse pops were declining in the southeast before WNV was ever in north America.

When WNV first hit in '99, the corvids--crows and jays--were seen to be among the most susceptible.  It looked pretty grim, and those birds were taking a pretty good hit.  I'm not sure of the numbers, but anecdotally, from what I can see, they're recovered pretty well.

GB Jack
On 7/2/2019 at 6:44 AM, Cooter Brown said:

I'm not trying to side rail you, I just want to see the data, or a communication from the state saying the birds were infected with WNV, because this contradicts what I understood to be the case.

But the bottom line is that it doesn't matter in practical terms.  WNV is here to stay, whenever it kills them, and habitat is key.  Grouse pops were declining in the southeast before WNV was ever in north America.

When WNV first hit in '99, the corvids--crows and jays--were seen to be among the most susceptible.  It looked pretty grim, and those birds were taking a pretty good hit.  I'm not sure of the numbers, but anecdotally, from what I can see, they're recovered pretty well.

The link provided above shows they were infected . Those were shot in October