topdog1961

I want one.

topdog1961

The huge Citroen van I am renting in Germany continues to amaze me. It has a Diesel engine, I don’t believe it is boosted. But it drives like a gas engine. It’s a 6 speed stick and when the windows are up the engine is totally silent. It has a 5,000 rpm redline, more than some v8 gas engines, and accelerates snappy like a strong gas engine. It has no problem hauling 7 people along at 160 kph (100) on the autobahn, and would go much faster. And I’m getting 30mpg. 

I’d love to have a 4x4 truck with this engine and transmission in it. 

1AE55848-F2E6-4E9F-B133-B23C81652D8C.jpeg

max2

Nice looking also . Probably make a nice grouse rig. Funny as we age the things we find appealing. Practical things.

mark

Cant have one in the US. US emission standards prevent efficient diesel vehicles . Last time we were in Europe we rented a mid size sedan . Not smell, no noise, plenty of power and 44MPG. 

topdog1961
18 hours ago, mark said:

Cant have one in the US. US emission standards prevent efficient diesel vehicles . Last time we were in Europe we rented a mid size sedan . Not smell, no noise, plenty of power and 44MPG. 

The  VW emissions scandal seems to be a point of national disgrace. They seem to have taken it personally and are very embarrassed that a German firm cheated. All I’ve spoken to are resigned their diesel cars are bad for the environment and have to go. They say they will all be electric soon. 

Driving is also high regulated. Every two hours you are supposed to take a 20 minute break. My rented van reminds me. Most people ignore it but truck drivers must keep a log and obey they law. 

bobman

If it has good acceleration it probably has a turbo

Diesels used to be simple and wonderful engines until the masterminds in the EPA ruined them  

kgb
11 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Driving is also high regulated. Every two hours you are supposed to take a 20 minute break. My rented van reminds me. Most people ignore it but truck drivers must keep a log and obey they law. 

Autobahn high-speed driving makes a break probably a good idea.  You'll be tuned a bit higher when driving at 100+mph, or should be, compared to droning on for hours at 60-65 on our interstates. 

quailguy
11 minutes ago, kgb said:

Autobahn high-speed driving makes a break probably a good idea.  You'll be tuned a bit higher when driving at 100+mph, or should be, compared to droning on for hours at 60-65 on our interstates. 

The entire European Union has turned into a gigantic nanny state. More warnings, rules and procedures than you can shake a stick at, which most normal people totally ignore. 

Normally in Europe while driving 160 kph after 2-3 hours I was at or near my destination. And for sure there was “ein wirtshaft”  for ein helles, bitte sehr! somewhere nearby. Pure refreshment and happiness from a tap; the best beer there was or is. All I have to do is simply smell that pure, fresh, unadulterated “Reinheitsgebot” beer and I get a smile on my face.   😎

kgb
16 hours ago, quailguy said:

The entire European Union has turned into a gigantic nanny state. More warnings, rules and procedures than you can shake a stick at, which most normal people totally ignore. 

Normally in Europe while driving 160 kph after 2-3 hours I was at or near my destination. And for sure there was “ein wirtshaft”  for ein helles, bitte sehr! somewhere nearby. Pure refreshment and happiness from a tap; the best beer there was or is. All I have to do is simply smell that pure, fresh, unadulterated “Reinheitsgebot” beer and I get a smile on my face.   😎

Not too many 300-mile wide states in Europe, or countries for that matter, and I see the point.  Is Wirtshaft a Bavarian term, seems a rural colloquialism?  Some of the Germans in Berlin went gaga for American beer and it baffled some of the Ami's who took your view of purity, thinking they had been transferred to beer heaven.  When Samuel Adams started showing up I saw on the cases that it was being brewed by Pittsburgh Brewing Company, makers of Iron City Beer.  We couldn't even be honest about where we were making our stuff! 😄

quailguy

The term wirtshaft is Bavarian for gasthaus. Ein “wirt” is the host at a gasthaus.  As in:” Herr Wirt, wir sterben aus durst!!!”

Re Sam Adams beer, it was indeed brewed under contract by Iron City when they 1st got going.  

Our local base club once got in several dozen cases of Millers, in cans. They tried to sell it for a quarter a can. No takers. Then the club said that if you buy a local beer, you can have a Millers for a dime. No takers. Then they tried giving it away. Hell, they couldn’t even give it away and the club finally shipped it back to the idiots that sent it down to us.   

topdog1961
20 hours ago, quailguy said:
20 hours ago, kgb said:

nterstates. 

The entire European Union has turned into a gigantic nanny state. 

The van didn’t have a cup holder within reach of the driver. I guess they take the saying “don’t drink and drive” literally. 

WI Outdoor Nut

it has been mentioned, but we have our diesels so choked down in the US they will never see those kind of MPG.  Remember, most EU countries don't have their own oil, so fuel is imported.  Tack on the super high tax on fuel, purchasing vehicles with a more expensive up front cost motor, to obtain better MPG is usually worth it.  Not until recently, did the idea of these motors have high emissions come about, and the pendulum has swung big time by that 2030 most cars in the EU will be electric, which will bring its own set of issues.   

Curt
52 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

it has been mentioned, but we have our diesels so choked down in the US they will never see those kind of MPG.  Remember, most EU countries don't have their own oil, so fuel is imported.  Tack on the super high tax on fuel, purchasing vehicles with a more expensive up front cost motor, to obtain better MPG is usually worth it.  Not until recently, did the idea of these motors have high emissions come about, and the pendulum has swung big time by that 2030 most cars in the EU will be electric, which will bring its own set of issues.   

You mean like, what's the source of the electricity to keep all these autos charged or what to do with all the dead (eventually) batteries down the road and their inherent pollutants?

WI Outdoor Nut
4 minutes ago, Curt said:

You mean like, what's the source of the electricity to keep all these autos charged or what to do with all the dead (eventually) batteries down the road and their inherent pollutants?

Both - you really need to look at the total carbon footprint (and I don't even like that phrase - because carbon itself isn't necessarily bad).  And add in the mining or what ever else is needed to make the materials of the batteries or what ever else you need. 

Locher
1 hour ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

it has been mentioned, but we have our diesels so choked down in the US they will never see those kind of MPG

that's true but keep in mind they're probably also paying double per gallon what we pay.  so, it kind of all balances out.  They're burning less fuel but paying more and it isn't burning as clean.  Ultimately, we're probably all paying close to the same and we're probably all polluting the same - mile for mile.

Jazz4Brazo

And I think the same applies when you take into account the energy inputs and waste costs (from mining through production) for electric batteries and cars and the disposal implications for batteries with heavy metal contaminants as well as the source of the electricity (Hydro, Coal, Nuclear, Wind, Solar all come with their own cost/waste inputs/outputs).

Would be nice to see a summary of a true energy/waste mass balance cost analysis comparing gas/diesel/electric that is non-political driven...sure it's out there but probably hard to find??

Not as simple a topic as it's been made out to be by the general media/public!

J4B