Hammergun

Thinking about a rocket box for my Land Cruiser

grouse28

I use a hitch hauler with an extended hitch and lights. I use 2, 27 gallon containers inside a cargo bag, things stay dry.

Extended hitch allows me to access back of the Liberty to let out the dogs. I also have a hitch for the front of the Liberty and use the hauler there sometimes, most often the bike rack goes in the front.

Chukarman

I love Landcruisers. I have owned 4 and have two right now - a 100 series and a 70 series diesel. The answer is to carry less stuff, really. If desperate you could use a roof pack or hitch pack.

Greg Hartman

Git yurself a damn truck....   😊

grouse28
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

Git yurself a damn truck....   😊

Yea,Yea, who has a brand spankin new truck?? 😁

Problem with me and trucks is that there is a big dead space behind the cab that thwarts my fat ass from reaching stuff.🦛

Hammergun

I ended up buying a used Yakima Space Cadet on Craig’s List locally for $250 with the Yakima Cross bars. I will let you know how it works out. 

jeff88
On 7/2/2019 at 8:36 AM, Bede said:

I bought the smallest size Thule box off craiglist. Locally you can buy these boxes for about half the price of a new one all day long. Used is the way to go. 

We have a 20 cu ft Yakima that I bought a long time ago.  They don't make the model I have anymore but if you could find a used one, they work really well.  This model only opens from one side which I see as a better design.  The ones that open on both sides are (to me) harder to seal out the weather as they open/close from a more complicated design.  The Yakima has been in very cold with snow to very rainy to desert conditions - never once a leak or swelling/contracting issues to mess with the seal.  Also, never saw any benefit to opening on either side - I mounted ours as far to the curb side of the car as possible, used a plastic milk carton as a step up and accessed it easily even on our Expy.  I'm 6' 0".  

Yes, they lower MPG but not a ton, more like 2 MPG/Highway if that, 1 MPG local.  Winds do buffet them more but on a large SUV, it is not bad.  We went on trips with 2 adults, 4 kids, a dog and sports gear such as skiing.  We have a Yakima hitch-receiver bike rack for 4 bikes too.  Many trips with the carrier on top along with two bikes up there and four on the back.

Hammergun

Got it and got it on. Not that hard for one man. I plan to access it from the tailgate so I need to shift it further rearward.  Got it on for testing it out. 

1DF7EE90-096B-4C54-8E60-7637985B2702.jpeg

UplandHntr

Get a weathertech bumpstep to stand on to make it easier to access

Hammergun

Ready to head west. 

7A367BB1-2545-434F-A56B-CC347F0078E3.jpeg

RookieEP

Take pictures!!

northwoods

Hammergun,

We are big fans of the rocketbox.  We use it on my LandCruiser when we travel.   Great for dufflebags.  The only tip

I would share is that I set mine up off center so that it is more easily accessed from one side.  Sounds like you have a solution for that already, though, from the rear bumper.  

Hammergun

The mileage has gone down a mile or so with it but it’s working great. My wife got a small step stool for me to get onto the tailgate as she was worried for me. Been collecting stickers from places traveled along the way. It’s all good so far. 

9C4360FD-D0BD-46F8-A04F-FD4D3F4818E9.jpeg

Hammergun

final test report 

We drove 5513 miles on our western road trip. I saw about a 2 mpg loss with the rocket box on the truck. For this models size and shape, it worked great for my storage needs and is a winner for me. 

An emergency snow shovel was needed to keep it open as the lift shocks are wearing out but that’s just age from a used unit. 

98493096-0206-4078-B0F8-9915F05520D3.jpeg

GLS

Hammergun, great rig.   I'd love to have one.    They don't wear out.  Sales have really dropped off in the US.   Toyota does little to promote them.  I believe only about 3000 were sold in one of the last two years compared with 130,000 4Runners which incidentally is solely made in Japan.   Rumor has it that the LC will come out with a V6 turboed for economy.    The Prado, not sold in the US, has all the features of the Land Cruiser with all wheel drive and all the off road bells and whistles of the larger LC.  It is the same vehicle as the Lexus GX 460 sold in the US.

All Land Cruisers are designed and built to survive the rigors of driving for 25 years in third world countries.  There is nothing made tougher and more reliable.  You gotta good one.  Gil

Hammergun

Yes I like mine. This is our second one. The first was a 2003 Series 100 which I liked the size and shape of. It had about 208k on it and was rusting out badly on the back lift and tail gates. I sold it to a hunting friend. We have 180k on this Series 200 which rides way nicer than the 100. Just having been in the Southwest I saw many more that were rust free. The bottom of my tail gate already has a spot of rust on it to get to. I love these trucks. I thought that I heard that the LC is the only Japan made vehicle by Toyota. I know that they don’t import many of them. 
My friend who sold me my first one had a ‘95 that had over 500k on it and it’s still running. It was all rusted out due to our winters and salt here but that’s impressive.