NOTE TO PEOPLE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Maine salty roads...

Brad Eden

Despite myth it's not only Toyotas that rust out here in the northeast. Just ask my mechanic or look under any of the trucks he has up on his lifts every day... or all the rusted metal debris on the floor of his garage. The northeast kicks the snot out of vehicles. Also parts that are warrantied for life can't escape the salty winter roads. I walked out of the Post office yesterday and saw the end of my tailpipe was almost sitting on the pavement. I looked under and saw that a brace had rusted and broken off the pipe. I babied the truck home, climbed under and Jimmy rigged it back up with bailing wire. Good enuff. Well this morning I noticed that the tailpipe was laying lower than it should be and looked under to see the pipe had now separated from the muffler section. Back under with more bailing wire so it didn't drop onto the ground when driving. Headed to mechanic this morning, he ordered me a new muffler and tail pipe section. Turns out he had replaced this once before and after finagling with the parts store got me a new muffler for free under warranty. Up on the lift, old one off, new one on and I only paid for the labor.  He asked me for the mileage for his records and I noticed it was 200, 033 miles. Damn it, I had been waiting to see the ole rig go over 200k and had missed it. This truck is destined to become an unregistered plow truck at some point. Maybe when and if I take early SS and get a slightly used truck to replace it.  And that truck will have no rust or come from down south. 

gunsrus

My mechanic in Maine says that the State puts down liquid (salt) , the worst kind on the major highways . The day I was there , he was drilling out a Jeep Wrangler the lug nuts that were capped in tin frozen solid . The Jeep was two years old . Unbelievable !

My '99 Tahoe just dropped the tail pipe . Ordered a Gibson stainless steel , only a few bucks more .Maybe get a few more years out of it . 

Samuel Hoggson

Last year sold my '01 F-350.  Couldn't begin to guesstimate how many calipers and rotors it ate, but it still had the original exhaust system - all of it.  Stainless, it was. 

Marc Ret

The road treatments aren't totally to blame for the tailpipe rusting through (maybe the hanger though). One more nice thing about diesels, they don't wear out an exhaust system like gas engines do. 250,000 miles on my 7.3L, still wearing the factory exhaust and PA winter road treatments aren't easy on a vehicle either. 

Picket Pin

Why not do a oil undercoat and see if that slows down the rusting ?   

Brad Eden
1 minute ago, Picket Pin said:

Why not do a oil undercoat and see if that slows down the rusting ?   

I've had it factory undercoated on a recall and have had that liquid film sprayed on several times pre winter. Nothing will completely stop the salt and rust up here on undercarriage. 

blanked

I can’t see how there are any new car dealers in business there

salmontogue

There is a solution...….beater vehicle for the winter.  Brine usage Downeast is very limited, sand/salt mix is far more common.

Samuel Hoggson
9 hours ago, salmontogue said:

There is a solution...….beater vehicle for the winter.  Brine usage Downeast is very limited, sand/salt mix is far more common.

An ex-partner kept his ancient 911 in perfect shape by doing this.  It never saw the light till all road salt was washed away. 

No gems in my barn, tho.  Everything's a beater.  

beater.thumb.JPG.3a0c90681c30252854dbcd68c7035e97.JPG

bigdog MN

I have a '97 K2500 that is garaged all winter, no rust.  The 04 Tahoe has holes in the rockers all around, brake lines rusted through this year. Had a full size Blazer that the passenger seat ripped out of the floor because of rust. My cousin owns a garage and sells used cars, he gets all of his supply from the southern states outside the rust belt. 

Millriver

A friend of mine gave his daughter his Tahoe when she was living in Wyoming. That car had a few rust issues to say the least. She took it to the mechanic to have some work done on it. He put it on the lift and said to her "Where did you get this car, New England?!"

It's a curse we have to live with here.

WPG Gizmo

Here is a tip if you see a tank truck on the road spraying Brine on the road before a storm go the other way what we use is liquid salt that we mix it is more potent then the ocean.    These trucks rarely go out in a storm they are made to pretreat the road before a storm to give us a chance to get ahead of it.

They want us to use Brine more then salt in fact all our trucks have a brine system that sprays onto the salt as we are putting it out.   If you look at a salt truck you will see 2 tanks on the side of the spreader if it has a brine system.  There is a reason for this the brine lowers the freezing point of the snow and ice we know that everything freezes at 32 degrees brine makes it so that it needs to be 28 degrees to freeze.  We want a sloppy slurry of snow salt mixed left on the road so that it keeps working long after we have passed.   When the temps get really cold below 28 degrees we stop salting and unless it is really needed on hills or slick spots we do not put out any material that can cause more issues then it is worth all we do is plow the snow off.  I normally put out 250 pounds of salt per mile of road plus 10 gallons of brine.

The day after a storm go to a car wash that has a under body spray most automated car washes do and pay for the under wash that is the spray that starts up when you start to drive in drive very slow through it and let it work most people are in a hurry and just drive right in so it does nothing.  Come spring when it warms up enough to start washing your car get a lawn sprinkler the kind that go back and forth put it under your car and let is wash the under carriage.

The day after a storm we wash down everything on our vehicles it does not matter how cold it is the Spreaders we use are stainless the Brine system on my truck is stainless there is a reason for that SS takes longer to rust there is also a reason that we wash everything the salt if left on will cause it to rust.  

WASH YOUR VEHICLES

Every little bit helps

Birdcountry70

So I'm seeing that there is an upside to the near complete lack of maintenance on our roads here in Northern MT. No salt here, or brine, or plowing.....🙂