REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

New, used vehicle dealer negotiating

blanked

Seems like dealers are less likely to negotiate price as in years past before the internet.  Manufacture incentives are about it.  Or whatever discounts the dealer is giving at the time. Agree or not.  

WPG Gizmo

What we have done when buying a new vehicle is go to multiple dealer web sites tell them what we want and let them make the offer we are clear we only want online dealings no phone calls and we are talking to multiple dealers Paula did that for her CRV one dealer gave her just what she wanted several thousand less then any other and that is where she bought it.

Used is a crap shoot 

dogrunner

What are you looking to get and is it going to be new or used?

Mike Connally

I bought a new Chevy PU last year. Sticker was $49,000. I paid $32,000

With $17,000 in incentives I didn’t bargain very hard. 

I couldn’t have bought a used two year old one for that. 

CheckCord

They negotiate if you travel.  I shop online and only buy low mileage used.  I’ve never had a brand new car, I can’t afford them.  

I shop for the options I want, email them a reasonable offer or call.  

Just did it 3 weeks ago for a vehicle 1 state over.  They they knew I was a serious buyer because I’m Willing to travel. 

They countered with $500 more than I offered them and didn’t negotiate at all with what I wanted for my trade in (which I asked for top dollar). 

I agreed and let them put a $1000 hold on a credit card for a few days until I could come on a Saturday. 

ryanr

For the 2 vehicles I bought this year (a 2009 Honda Fit commuter and 2007 4runner for weekends) I concentrated on negotiating a final "out the door" price and it worked out well.

Anymore, I only buy used and I'm not spending more than $10,000 on a single vehicle either. I'm just more patient now and scrutinize more to ensure I get a 1 owner, 0 accident vehicle and I do my best to make sure it's a local trade too.

Rockdoc

I bought a 1998 Caravan in 2001 for $2,500. The car had 150,000 miles on it, the AC didn’t work and the dealer thought it had a rod knock. He was planning to wholesale the car. After I opened the hood and noticed the fan belt was missing from the AC I took it for ride and realized that the rod knock was a noisy lifter. I purchased the car, installed new lifters and a new belt on the AC and everything worked fine. I ended up putting 135,000 miles on the car and finally sold it for $700 after both the AC and the transmission went out.

BTW, before I returned to college and became a geologist I worked for three years in car sales, both new and used. It really helps to know how those guys think when you’re dealing with them.

Steve

gaberdeen

My wife doesn’t let me go car shopping with her because I usually end up getting in a fight with the salesman. Tuesday she is picking up a new Subaru and paying cash for it. I told her she needs to negotiate a better price on it.

River19

Just negotiated a used car purchase this week.  The thing dealers expect with used cars is the vehicle is more unique in theory than new inventory where there are hundreds or thousands just like it available.  They count on some level of emotional attachment and limited availability of "this" unique car with the color, package, mileage and price you want. They leverage the urgency of missing out on this particular car with "we have a couple other appointments on this car later today" etc.  I become emotionally dead during this process.

"So Steve how was your test drive?  You like the car?"

"It drove like all the other ones I have driven, but pulls slightly to the left and there is a rattle in the driver's side rear door." (that was the truth but it was a great car)

"Other than those, anything keeping you from buying this car?"

"Not my first color choice and I don't like cars from NY"

"But it is a rare certified used example that has undergone a 161 point blah blah blah......."

"Relax, it is a machine, not an animal, there are a couple hundred like it available, so let's talk numbers."

I find the overall process humorous and I never let them put me in a position of being "stuck" there.  Your feet are your leverage.  If you have a trade, bring a spare key and make them aware that you have no problem walking in back and taking your car home and they will not be holding you hostage with your keys floating around the dealership as they "value" your trade.

When I was waiting for the "business/finance office" guy, I told my salesman last purchase I was leaving at X time.  2 mins before that time I started walking out of the dealership and low and behold the "finance guy" comes jogging after me....... I enjoy making them uncomfortable since they count on doing the opposite to most people.

Call me insane but I enjoy being a dick to dealers that try the usual "dealer" speak.  They need you and your purchase more than you need them or that car.

Cheesy

Was in the market for a new (to me) truck. Local Toyota dealer had several used 2018s. None checked all the boxes. Stopped by Friday at lunch to drive the most promising one. Sales guy goes for a ride. I tell him I checked all the websites within 500 miles. They were high on asking price. And I had no issue burning some frequent flyer miles to get a good deal.   Go back to work. Text him screenshots of comparables at thousands less. He replied that “no idea why those are so cheap but I’ll get our bottom dollar on the three you’re looking at”.

That was Friday at 2pm. It’s now Monday at 10pm. Still waiting on that bottom dollar figure.  But, there is  a brand new Tundra in my drive. Optioned more than the used ones. 2020 versus 2018. And bought for less money than they had on their 2 year old used ones. You’d think if your livelihood depended on sales, you’d at least follow up with potential customers. 

Quig
6 hours ago, Cheesy said:

Was in the market for a new (to me) truck. Local Toyota dealer had several used 2018s. None checked all the boxes. Stopped by Friday at lunch to drive the most promising one. Sales guy goes for a ride. I tell him I checked all the websites within 500 miles. They were high on asking price. And I had no issue burning some frequent flyer miles to get a good deal.   Go back to work. Text him screenshots of comparables at thousands less. He replied that “no idea why those are so cheap but I’ll get our bottom dollar on the three you’re looking at”.

That was Friday at 2pm. It’s now Monday at 10pm. Still waiting on that bottom dollar figure.  But, there is  a brand new Tundra in my drive. Optioned more than the used ones. 2020 versus 2018. And bought for less money than they had on their 2 year old used ones. You’d think if your livelihood depended on sales, you’d at least follow up with potential customers. 

Send a picture of you and your new truck, let him know how much he educated you on truck buying!

NW River Mac

Negotiating used vehicles is quite a bit more difficult because you can't compare apples to apples.  It's always an apple to an orange.  Therefore, your reasoning and rational for lower pricing doesn't hold water.

Cheesy
43 minutes ago, NW River Mac said:

Negotiating used vehicles is quite a bit more difficult because you can't compare apples to apples.  It's always an apple to an orange.  Therefore, your reasoning and rational for lower pricing doesn't hold water.

I wasn’t buying oranges. I was only looking at apples. All comparisons were the same variety of apples, not even a Red Delicious against a Granny Smith. All were Gala’s. 

NW River Mac
22 hours ago, Cheesy said:

I wasn’t buying oranges. I was only looking at apples. All comparisons were the same variety of apples, not even a Red Delicious against a Granny Smith. All were Gala’s. 

My apologies if you took this personally, my use of the word "your" with reasoning was meant as a collective "all of us" term.

Mike Connally
On 8/19/2019 at 11:32 PM, Cheesy said:

Yup. What I’m finding on trucks is that the end of model year incentives on a new truck are worth more than the “used car discount”. At least for a two year old vehicle. 

And when the dealer sells a used truck he’s certainly not going to include credit for any incentives the original owner may have realized.