Tony Moore

night sounds.

Tony Moore

Anyone ever hear a Bobcat call in the night?

Grifish

Nope. U?

chilly460

Wasn’t night time but around dusk, cabin in Big Sky, Montana.  It was still fairly light but sounded a LOT like a woman screaming, stood the hair up on my arms and my buddy and I both scrambled for a minute trying to figure out what the hell was going on.  Only tip-off was that it was “regular” cadence, nobody would be screaming that way.  If it’s happened in full darkness, would’ve definitely given me the jeebies

Tim Frazier

You ought to hear them mate!

1971snipe
On 8/2/2019 at 2:03 PM, Tony Moore said:

Anyone ever hear a Bobcat call in the night?

Late evening for sure, and I got a pic of one of them.  At full dark night-time?  I'm not possitive.  

Tony Moore

3am at night, a young girl camping thought it was a stray cat, until she saw it, and became hysterical, a night to remember for sure..

Millriver

Yep, one night outside our hunting camp in northern New York about 15 years ago. Woke up 4 of us, dogs didn't even bark. Eerie 

gaberdeen

Back in the early 1970’s we had one in our backyard in NJ. I will never forget it. Sounded pretty haunting, almost like a baby crying.

quailguy

Yes indeed. 

quailguy
8 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Wasn’t night time but around dusk, cabin in Big Sky, Montana.  It was still fairly light but sounded a LOT like a woman screaming, stood the hair up on my arms and my buddy and I both scrambled for a minute trying to figure out what the hell was going on.  Only tip-off was that it was “regular” cadence, nobody would be screaming that way.  If it’s happened in full darkness, would’ve definitely given me the jeebies

That is exactly what it sounds like to me.   Night moves   

Brad Eden

Yeah, we hear all sorts of critter night sounds. From bobcat caterwauls to barred owls telegraphing to each other through the woods, to red fox screams (people attribute some screaming to fishers when in fact its thought to be Red fox) to coyote howls and chase and kill yips and barks, to bitterns in the Marsh (they do a wierd "galumph" sound) to a cacophony of spring peeper frogs that get so loud you almost have to block your ears.

Fire Marshal Bill

Yes I have. Like Gaberdeen said, it sounds just like a baby crying. 

Marc Ret

Not quite bobcat, but I came across these two lynx's interaction while trying to find decent audio of bobcat. 

Fire Marshal Bill

Wow, really neat. Looks like you were right up close to them.

charlo slim

Wow, that lynx clip is just awesome!

As a kid back in central Illinois, a common report was of hearing "a panther screaming like a woman in the night".  Only a bit later in life did I realize it was likely the other way around.