Brad Eden

Seafood gluttony...

Brad Eden

IMG_1181.JPG

The aftermath...

We had reason to head over to Mt Desert Island yesterday. It's less than an hour drive but we usually avoid the island during peak summer months for obvious reasons...Maine is "vacationland" after all and Acadia Nat Park and the spectacular rocky coastline attracts masses to the island. Typically we are frugal New Englanders and I'm able to get my lobsters on the cheap from friends who lobster, and cook them at home. But my main lobster pusher isn't pulling traps this year. 

We were both hankering for lobster so decided to risk it (crowds) and try a place called Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard. We had been by there in the past but the lack of parking and ridiculous lines drove us off. We got lucky and were seated right away. This is across the water from Bass Harbor on the "quiet" side of the island. Neat place right on the water and overlooking a classic working Maine fishing and lobstering waterfront. We ordered a couple pound and a halfers, a pound of steamers and some potato salad as a side. And a couple summer ale drafts. It was well worth the trip and the cash. Lobsters cooked in sea water, perfectly. Only the claws cracked. Delicious grit free steamers and real drawn butter, not the grease you get at some joints. We opted for soft shell lobsters not cuz they are cheaper per pound, but because whatever you lose in meat is made up for in ease of eating and sweetness of the meat. That's just my opinion.  The only thing missing was a dash of red wine vinegar in the butter, probably could have asked for malt vinegar I suppose. Try that dash in the butter next time you have steamed or boiled lobster. 

Foody review is now over. 

gaberdeen

Mmm. You know what my wife and daughter are away this weekend. Think I’m gonna go get me some lobster. Thanks for the inspiration Brad!

GuyO

Nice !! And kinda mean!☹️There’s only one thing I miss about 30 years living on Maryland’s Eastern Shore and that’s the fresh blue crabs, oysters and soft shell clams!

WPG Gizmo

I love Lobster but sadly lobster does not love me last tine I had it my knee blew up ☠️

That said tonight I am heading out for a seafood feast there will be Haddock, Scallops, Whole Clams, Shrimp, Onion rings and Fries plus what ever else I can get on the plate YUMMMMMMM.

Brad Eden

We didn't use the bibs provided and left picked carcasses. Waitress commented that we were obviously locals. There is meat in them lobster bodies if you take your time!

john mcg

I like lobster well enough, but I can count the times I've eaten it on one hand.

Since I was a wee lad, I have loved fried clams and cod. New England Cod Cakes to be specific.

Tartar sauce is required.

Had a cod sammich a couple weeks ago at a joint in town.

WPG Gizmo

I prefer Cod over Haddock a much sweeter flavor I grew up on Cod Cakes I believe it was Grotons that had cod in a can you would mix it with a egg and make cod fish cakes 

Brad Eden

We eat lobster maybe once or twice a summer. It's always a treat. 

There is a restaurant name Nautilus in Belfast right at the harbor dock. It's the same building that once housed a Weathervane Restaurant (Found in Maine and NH). Decent enough, but nothing particularly fantastic besides the location...except for their Haddock Ruben. It's crazy delicious. We went there for lunch last week specifically for that sandwich.

Spiller

We too, try to stay clear of Bar Harbor and MDI from about Memorial Day to just after Labor Day. It is surely pretty down there though. 

FWIW, my wifey's and my fave Pound is Trenton Bridge and it ain't even on MDI,  it is just this side of the bridge going over on the right hand side.

We've been going to that one for years and I always recommend it to people from out of town that visit.

I have two of those Walmart Turkey Fryer thingies.   They are cheap cast iron propane burners on a stand and they have huge pots that come with them.  I'm sure people have seen them...Anyway, they work awesome for cooking bugs outside at home.

2 or 3 times a year I do full on clam bakes in my backyard with them.   I actually did one, one Christmas with a kegger in the snow...it was epic.

fishvik
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, Brad Eden said:

We didn't use the bibs provided and left picked carcasses. Waitress commented that we were obviously locals. There is meat in them lobster bodies if you take your time!

When my mother asked her boss at a company get together what was the proper etiquette for eating lobster. He replied, "Use your elbow grease and knee, Joanie." Eating a whole lobster is not for whimps. We ate everything we could in a lobster including chewing the meat out of the legs. I sure miss it living in Idaho.