gunsrus

Drive in movies

Curt

This is an interesting thread topic that I don't remember seeing here before.  It's timely to me because a week or so ago two of my grandkids were over for the night.  We were talking about what we might do that evening and I asked them if they'd like to see Toy Story 4 because it was playing at the local mall theater.  "No grandpa", says the 11 year old granddaughter, " we saw it last month at the drive-in with mom and dad."  I didn't even know there were still drive-ins around here but evidently there are a couple.

Dakota Dogman

Our town has one. $8 a person, double feature every showing. Fri. - Sun. Good fun, but yes double features get late. I prefer to see creature features there.

God bless, 

henryrski

A little ,tale about nasty kids. I dated a young lady while in high school and frequently went to the drive in in New York state. When we got home her father came roaring out of the house grabbed her by the arm and took her into the house . I was somewhat surprised as he and I got along fairly well. I saw her in school and asked what the hell was going on. She told somebody called her house and identified themselves as New York State Troopers and told her father she had been killed in an auto accident. I had a pretty good idea who did it, actually three of them so I started pounding on one and he gave up the other two. I beat the hell out of all three. As I mentioned my father was the assistant principal at the school and word got to him pretty quickly. So i was in deep sh%t until I told my side of it. Then the principal got involved and the end was he called the local cops and they got a free ride in a police car. The little bastages. They also cleared me with her father, but things were touchy for awhile.

henryrski

I don't do drive ins anymore.😧

ARKBRDHUNTER

There is one about 40 miles from us and my wife and I always say were are going to go this year but always seem to miss it. They play current movies as well. Maybe this year before they close for the winter. 

As far as nostalgia, the one we went to as teenagers showed awful movies but we really did not care. Late in its existence you had to search for one that had a speaker that had not been torn loose as people forgot to remove them before driving off. 

chilly460

This got my wheels turning, I’m 43 so I didn’t catch the pinnacle of drive in era, but we’d hit them in NJ when I was a kid every once in awhile.  Still remember seeing Ghostbusters there, which was about the best movie going for a 7yr old in the 80s.  

There is one about 25min from me, been thinking about running up there in my old Mercury once the weather cools off, my wife’s never been to one so it would be fun.  Radio doesn’t work in the Merc, do they still use the speakers hooked to the window?

bigjohnsd

I remember going to the drive-in in my '61 Ford Falcon Sedan Delivery. 

I can't recall ever watching the movie though.

Dakota Dogman
On 8/18/2019 at 12:34 PM, chilly460 said:

Radio doesn’t work in the Merc, do they still use the speakers hooked to the window?

Ours does.

God bless,

canvasback

There is one about 5 min from my house. I used to take my son with some friends when they were little. When I first ran the idea by him (about age 6 not long after we moved here) he couldn't believe there was such a thing. Haha! Tons of fun.

He's less interested now at age 14 in going with his dad, regardless of who else is along but 16 is coming up quick and I'm pretty sure he will re-discover it's charms.

Mark Stella/WV

I got one less than 5 miles from my house that still is operational on the weekends. Sunday mornings it’s used as a big flea market. Pipestem WV. 

gunsrus

I remember as a kid running down to the swing sets in front of the screen while the previews were showing . Ahhhh , simpler days . 

canvasback
59 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

I remember as a kid running down to the swing sets in front of the screen while the previews were showing . Ahhhh , simpler days . 

Ha! I'd forgotten about that!