2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Becassier

Blood Trail Tracking Dogs

Becassier

Does anybody on this board use/train them?

If so, what breed?

CzechSM

I originally got a versatile dog, a Small Munsterlander for the sole purpose of blood tracking. I had some luck with her in finding deer that might have been lost otherwise but her biggest obstacle was probably me as a handler. Blood tracking with a dog is certainly a team effort and I certainly didn’t know what I was doing. Looking back I would look into a tracking dog like a dachshund or something similar. 

5932570-R1-010-3A-600x405.jpg

MAArcher
On 8/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, Becassier said:

Does anybody on this board use/train them?

If so, what breed?

My Deutsch Drahthaar loves to blood track and found these two deer, one I might not have recovered otherwise, before he was six months old.

Wes 1st deer recovery.jpg

Wes 2nd deer recovery.jpg

MAArcher

And he found this one alive the night before and the coyote beat us to it before we trailed it again the next morning.  Plus he had a couple more trails on deer that weren't mortally hit.

Wes deer recovery 3 coyote web size.jpg

Can't wait for the games to begin again in September.  Four more weeks.

MAArcher

If you wan't a dog just for blood tracking, look at getting a Teckel (wire-haired dachshund).  

C.J.L.

Actually good tracking hounds don't trail blood.  Know a outfitter fella with a Bavarian Mountain hound he uses for deer and hogs in GA and bear in Quebec.  That dog is hard on wounded game.  Cool dog.  

MAArcher
3 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Actually good tracking hounds don't trail blood.  Know a outfitter fella with a Bavarian Mountain hound he uses for deer and hogs in GA and bear in Quebec.  That dog is hard on wounded game.  Cool dog.  

I'm pretty sure they do trail blood until they figure out which deer is bleeding, then they can track that particular deer even if it stops bleeding.

Becassier

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I’ve got a 5 month old foxred lab that I plan to use mostly as an upland flushing dog working with my pack of Brittanys; but I’m thinking about cross training him to track wounded deer and hogs. 

Any tips are appreciated!

MAArcher
On 8/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, Becassier said:

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I’ve got a 5 month old foxred lab that I plan to use mostly as an upland flushing dog working with my pack of Brittanys; but I’m thinking about cross training him to track wounded deer and hogs. 

Any tips are appreciated!

I don't have enough experience to be giving much advice on it, but I think this book would answer any question you had:

http://www.born-to-track.com/