2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... ×
Tim Frazier

Dove Fields

Tim Frazier

So this spring was miserable with more water than anyone had seen.  Several acres of our corn field were drowned out and I lost a few small plots of sunflowers.  I will say for the circumstances I am amazed and we should be on target for the opener Sept 1.  The plots are weedier that last year and the plants did not fair as well but plenty of them made it.  I have about $40 worth of Tractor Supply Oil seed planted (3-40lb bags of bird seed) and one 50 lb bag of millet.  So not much more than $50 all together along with round up and diesel fuel.

Lots of butterflies and song birds now, deer got some but there was plenty for them.  We didn't have bragging numbers of doves last year but we sure had fun.  Nice part with sun flowers is the family loves them and the women all like to pick a few to keep in the house, so it's been a good tradition.

dove.jpg

dove1.jpg

dove2.jpg

dove3.jpg

WI Outdoor Nut

Looks like a nice field.  I was thinking of doves yesterday.  We planted 2 food plots (for deer) in a field we have access to on one of the farms I hunt.  The farmer has no plans until next spring, so we were free to do what we like.  While planting about 5 acres, I kept seeing doves fly around.  At then end of the day, the farmer asked us to pick up a few bales that missed the wagon, which we did.  In the process, I probably saw about 30 doves eating the waste seed in the field.  Not once would I have thought about shooting this field, but it is not in my target. 

Big Al

I have three plots of sanfoin that I let go to seed.  Went through them today and they all had dove.  I guess I know where I’ll be September 1.  

Tim Frazier
8 hours ago, Big Al said:

I have three plots of sanfoin that I let go to seed.  Went through them today and they all had dove.  I guess I know where I’ll be September 1.  

Wonder if I could get that to grow in the east?  Might have to give it a try.  When I started doing the oil seed I didn't expect it to do well here and it's been pretty easy to be honest.

spring

Great looking sunflowers, Tim.  I haven't been on many shoots over them but they can be ideal, especially as the flower dries out, bends over, and the seeds ease out over time.  

I just finished planting a section of a corn field that was picked over the weekend with browntop millet and grain sorghum (milo).  We plant on either side of a center pivot, which sets up pretty well. Burned the field yesterday to make it cleaner before tilling for planting. Since they finally listened to hunters in Georgia and shuffled the hunting dates so that we can hunt through the end of January, fields that have food into the winter should benefit from migration. 

Good luck!

spring

Nothing special here but I took this pic late this afternoon of one of my dove fields. This is the corn field I mentioned in the post above that we planted some milo and browntop on both sides of this pivot this week. Got a good rain right after planting, so it should begin setting up well for some late season hunts. 

+PWPp%EIT86OpLXt8J8yrw.jpg

kgb

Some state lands here are planted with sunflowers for dove season and I ran the dogs out to one this week to see how it shaped up (and even to see if it had been planted).  With the wet spring we had it looks like they just had some bad timing as it came up rather sparsely and weeds filled the voids with no bare ground around.  The dogs had a fun romp and I got stung by something big and dark when pushing through some weeds---it's been probably over 30 years since a bee got me.