2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... ×
DoubleAuto

What to do, What to do?

DoubleAuto

I have a 1998 Ford f-150 that I bought new (3-doors).  I really like this old truck.  The information on this truck is:

• The truck has 235,000 + miles on it.
  • Two-wheel drive.  Don't need 4WD.
  • It has never been wrecked or in an accident.
  • The underside was sprayed with rust preventative when it was new.
  • The bed was sprayed with rust preventative when it was new.
  • A drop-in bed liner was put in when it was new.
  • The exterior paint has some scratches but no rust.
  •  The engine and transmission have never given me any trouble.
  •   It has been kept in a garage with a dehumidifier most of it's life.
  •   Oil changed every 3,000 miles.
  •   Driven weekly at least 2 miles (when I put out and pick up the garbage can at the road), 3-4      times per month at least 35 miles (local hauling) and once a year 4000 to 5000 miles to Oklahoma for dove hunting.  It is not a daily driver.

I have ridden 100's of miles in the new fancy pickups with the fellow that puts on the hunts while scouting for the next day's dove hunts.  One of our family vehicles is a loaded 2017 Toyota Highlander.  I know about all of the features and fancy stuff on the new trucks (sometimes it seems that some of these "conveniences" are just in the way).  I just need a dependable truck that I can get into and drive anywhere in the eastern and middle portion of the country.

While the truck is running fine now, I want to have a plan in case something on it decides to bite the dust.  I can certainly afford a new truck but seeing the price of a new truck that can't do anything more than my present truck needs to do seems silly.  I am thinking about spending up to $10,000 (or slightly more if needed) on this truck if something major happens (engine, transmission, etc.) to put it back in reliable shape.

Again, I just like this old truck.  At 71 years old am I thinking straight about this or should I start looking for a new truck?  The mileage on similar size trucks is not that much better than in 1998.  What besides the drive train may need replacing?  I would like to add a backup camera and new seatcovers to this truck if I keep it.

Any opinions/information is appreciated.

john mcg

New crate motor, starter, alternator, belts, water pump and exhaust system. Upgrade headlights and make sure the fuel tank is solid.

a lot less than a 50K truck. Maybe some nice seat covers or seat rebuilds.

topdog1961

Drive it till it drops. Then you can’t justify putting $10,000 in an old truck worth a fraction of that, any more than you can spending the $$$$ for a new one. Then take your $10,000 and spend it on a used truck worth $10,000.  If you don’t need 4x4, you should be able to pick up a good truck for that.  Especially if you shop private owner and find someone who took care of it. 

WI Outdoor Nut

I personally would not be putting much money in your existing truck.  It has been good to (because of the way you treat it) and if anything major happens, find a good 2wd low cost replacement. 

bobman

Engine should easily go another 100k miles and given your usage that’s 10 years

i would keep it drive it and continue to do proper maintenance and not worry about it

Look at it again in five years

Flush
17 minutes ago, bobman said:

Engine should easily go another 100k miles and given your usage that’s 10 years

i would keep it drive it and continue to do proper maintenance and not worry about it

Look at it again in five years

Agree with this, I was going to say the same.

settem

It’s a 21year old 2wd drive truck...

Sell it to some kid and go get what YOU want!

JMHO

Mike da Carpenter
7 minutes ago, settem said:

JMHO

That’s how my boys got their truck (2000 Z-71) last year.  They had to agree to “Not put a loud a$$ exhaust or big tires” before they shook hands on the deal.

Marc Ret
15 minutes ago, settem said:

JMHO

Sounds like what he wants is to keep driving a truck he really likes. I can understand that. 

RookieEP

Id go new or newer for 2 reasons reliability and safety features.  Who wants to be stranded somewhere when something breaks down.  The safety features and impact/crash ratings of modern vehicles is way better than from 98.  If you have the cash pass it down.  A truck is just a truck don't push your luck.  

quailguy
22 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Sounds like what he wants is to keep driving a truck he really likes. I can understand that. 

Yes, it does.  It is, however, crazy to put $10k into a truck worth $2-3k if that.  

Pick out a good used used truck with a good warranty.   You might even get to like hands free cell phone usage, electric windows, a decent AC unit and SIRIUS satellite radio if you gave it a shot. 

Marc Ret
12 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Yes, it does.  It is, however, crazy to put $10k into a truck worth $2-3k if that.  

Pick out a good used used truck with a good warranty.   You might even get to like hands free cell phone usage, electric windows, a decent AC unit and SIRIUS satellite radio if you gave it a shot. 

Crazy? I wonder what the median per bird cost for the members of this board would be if we were to calculate it. 

It's not always about dollars and cents. 

bobman
1 hour ago, quailguy said:

My 95 f 150 has electric windows , ac, and a Bluetooth radio with Sirius is cheap to have installed

my truck has similar mileage, runs perfect and is as reliable as any new one maybe even more so because it’s a simpler vehicle

my 92  Chevy camper van has made many trips out west and will make more I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it to Alaska from here in GEORGIA 

the only advantage a brand new truck has is they do ride a little better and have larger payload capabilities 

his 10K maintenence is a worse case and very generous budget estimate and highly unlikely he’s going to need it IMO

His truck won’t depreciate much if any at this point,  any useful truck in decent shape is worth

$4-5 K  due to it being useful to a million guys in the trades needing an old truck for simple stuff and not wanting to spend $50,000.00 on one. I just sold two of mine a 97 F 350 and a 2000 Silverado got $7k for the f 350 and $3k for the Silverado 

but if he spends $45k on a new one today it will depreciate $20 k in 5-6 years

I know because I’ve been buying and selling like this all my life

Now if money’s no object then it doesn’t matter I guess but spending money you don’t have to on pickups is just stupid from a financial standpoint, they aren’t investments. And the newer they are the more you lose.

gunsrus

I've got the '99 grousemobile in great shape and ready for the logging roads in Maine . For a daily driver , I'm 68 and decided that I deserve one more new vehicle . My cars last me 10 years and are well taken care of . i bought a new Tahoe LTZ . 

My new gun needed a new car . What else are you going to do with your money ?

salmontogue
5 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

I've got the '99 grousemobile in great shape and ready for the logging roads in Maine . For a daily driver , I'm 68 and decided that I deserve one more new vehicle . My cars last me 10 years and are well taken care of . i bought a new Tahoe LTZ . 

My new gun needed a new car . What else are you going to do with your money ?

The new gun is driving and you are riding in the back seat?

Shall I pass you the Grey Poupon?