2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... ×
DocE

E Z Corn on the Cob

DocE

It's big time for sweet corn on the cob.

This may have been discussed before, but we use a method that makes "shucking and de-silking

a breeze. (I love corn, but removing the silk is a PITA).

Put the ears in the microwave for 3 minutes........You can pull the shucks off with just two pulls

and all of the silk will come right off with the shucks.

chris_gillette

The way I usually make corn on the cob for several years now.  Works very well.

Mike da Carpenter

Wife has been doing that for a while now.  Pretty slick trick.

We decided to try growing corn in our really small garden this year.  I thought that trick pulled 1/2 the kernels off with it.  Funniest looking corn you ever saw, but tasted fantastic.

p.s.  The guys here at work are still laughing at the sight of my corn last week.  Keep telling me to bring in more because they didn’t get pictures for their wives to see.

Brad Eden

As usual Maine is late and native sweet corn hasn't shown up on roadside stands yet. My small crop looks good and has tasseled , but the ears are minuscule right now. I rather like the ritual of shucking sweet corn the old fashioned way. Seems microwaving corn like that for 3 minutes would start the cooking process. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I wonder if there would be any taste difference between a normally shucked ear and a microwaved shucked ear after being boiled and slathered in butter and salt? Signed, Corn Curmudgeon.

Mike Connally

Yeah. I would think 3 minutes in the microwave would cook the corn. 

I usually shuck the corn, slather it in butter, salt and pepper, and then roll it up in foil. 

It goes on the grill while the burgers cook. 

bigdog MN

We cook the corn in microwave after its been shucked. It works but the cob gets so hot it takes forever to cool enough so you can eat it. We have also wetted unshucked ears and placed on the grill, think that is my favorite way.

airmedic1

Try this once, fill the sink with water and throw the corn in with the shucks on.  Let it soak for at least 15 minutes or so, I usually go at least 30 minutes but if I am in a hurry......  Then throw it on the grill and let it cook.  The shucks will get black on the outside but it steams the corn.  Take it off and the shuck and silk will come right off.  Slather with butter and salt and enjoy!

C.J.L.

For the folks who haven't heard about it:

For buttering corn get a deep glass pitch and fill it with boiling water, drop half a stick a butter in it. When the butter melts it will be on top of the hot water.  Dip your corn in the pitcher and it's completely buttered when you pull it out.  

Brad Eden

How I do it. The not so EZ way.

1, Start a pot of water to boil. If truly fresh-just picked-sweet corn leave water as is. If store bought or if it has likely sat around for a day add a few tablespoons of sugar to the water. Corn sugar starts turning to starch the second the cob it is snapped off the stalk. 

2, Sit on deck crack a cold beer, and shuck corn, save the remnants for the compost pile.

3, Put corn in boiling water, boil for 5 minutes.

4, Cut a good slab of butter and put it on a small square of bread. Use that bread to spread and melt the butter over the corn cob. When done, eat the butter drenched bread.

5, Sprinkle salt on the ear of corn.

6, Eat the corn and burn the inside roof of your mouth because you couldn't wait for it to cool. Repeat for subsequent ears.

Its a long process but worth it.

DocE
9 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

As usual Maine is late and native sweet corn hasn't shown up on roadside stands yet. My small crop looks good and has tasseled , but the ears are minuscule right now. I rather like the ritual of shucking sweet corn the old fashioned way. Seems microwaving corn like that for 3 minutes would start the cooking process. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I wonder if there would be any taste difference between a normally shucked ear and a microwaved shucked ear after being boiled and slathered in butter and salt? Signed, Corn Curmudgeon.

3 minutes on high will cook it perfectly for me.

Because it's cooked with the shucks on, the flavor is enhanced..

MAArcher

I snip the tassels off and any loose husks so they don't catch fire when I roast them on the grill and steam them like airmedic1.  Then to shuck them, instead of the regular way (with a hand towel or oven mists cause they're hot) I sometimes slice off the stem end and the whole cob can be squeezed out like toothpaste.   Doesn't change the way they taste but its kind of fun.  The proper way to butter is to roll them on a stick of butter.  Deforms the stick of butter and leaves stray silk mushed in it which annoys the hell out of my wife, so that's a bonus.  

grouse28

Boil a pot of water, when boiling place ears in. When it returns to a boil the corn is done. Remove ears quickly from water.

Never ever over cook corn on the cob!

I like it sometimes with butter and a little Old Bay.

Marc Ret
56 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

I like it sometimes with butter and a little Old Bay.

Yep, just had a few ears like that a couple days ago. Mmmmm. 

rideold

I just throw them on the grill in the husk with all the silk still on.  Shuck it at the table as you eat it.  Makes a bit of a mess but I think the corn tastes better than when you soak it first and then throw it on the grill.  It gets a more roasted flavor rather than steamed.  Butter, salt and either paprika or a good powdered chili like Pasilla Negra or Ancho tops it off.  Growing up we always mixed the butter and paprika together with a knife and then slathered it on the corn.

Brad Eden

Just stopped at a local Co Op that sells a lot of locally grown produce and products. Word is that this area of Maine is close to a month late as far as sweet corn. Rain and other weather issues. That's a bummer.