2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... √ó
DocE

E Z Corn on the Cob

Brad Eden
13 hours ago, DocE said:

3 minutes on high will cook it perfectly for me.

Because it's cooked with the shucks on, the flavor is enhanced..

Im a¬†traditionalist...microwaving corn on the cob doesn't do it for me. ūüĆŬ†

delahunter834

Put 1/2 bu of crabs in crab pot ,bring to a boil .When boiling add corn to pot cook 20 min.

Don Steese

Best sweet corn I've ever eaten, hands down, was made by Mexican street vendors. They put some seemingly weird stuff on it but boy is it delish!!

Spiller

I make and eat Mexican style street corn all the time at home...In fact I did just last night with some native corn from an Amish farm down the road...I've been eating native corn for about a week and a half.

Here is how you make it...

Open up the corn husk at the top maybe a quarter to a third down and pull out the silk at the top...you don't strip the husk off...

Pull the husk back up over the ear of corn and throw the corn in a bucket of water and let it soak over night...

The next day you put the whole corn still in the husk soaking wet on the barbecue...

Turn as necessary...some of it will char...any remaining silk burns off...the corn steams in it's own husk...

open them up and slather the following... 

1) mantequilla (butter)

Then the key ingredients are

2) Mexican Styled Crema ...it is sorta like a runny sour cream...but it is different...it is the same key ingredient in Ensenada styled fish tacos...

3) Mexican queso (cheese) crumbled on top..it sticks to the crema...queso fresca is good so is queso cotija...it's sorta like feta it crumbles up..

4) a spice/ condiment called Tajin... it is a combo of various stuff... chili powder, salt and dried lime..I think it might have some garlic powder in it...you sprinkle it on like salt...sometimes I just put butter and Tajin rather than salt on my "normal" corn...it is good stuff...it makes a great rimmer on a Bloody...

5) A wedge of limon...mexican lime...they are the same thing as key limes....

I actually can find all the ingredients up here in Maine either at the IGA, Hannies or even Wally world....

co_setter

I like a little more grilled flavor vs steamed so I either shuck it completely or shuck down to one layer of husk.  As a bonus the two of the husks go under the grill grate and provide a nice smoked flavor to the main entree - last night it was chicken thighs. 

Cold Iron

Done most of the methods listed from microwave to Mexican street corn. But still prefer it the way I grew up with.

Put several dozen ears in a burlap sack and throw it in the lake all day to soak. Then throw a dozen ears at a time into a fire, turn once and then use fireplace tongs to pull them out. Oven mitts to husk and wipe with sticks of butter. Burlap sacks are hard to find these days.

So soak in the sink for a couple of hours and throw directly on the coals in the kettle.

48544870582_6688a78193_b.jpg

Depends on what you like. I am a smokey, slightly burnt nutty taste kernel head.

A Med Rare ribeye always is a good match for the corn also IMO 

48544719421_7271910b51_b.jpg

Who am I kidding, corn on the cob goes well with pretty much everything.

Corn trucks are starting to show up here but the local corn is slow this year, not sure where they are bringing it in from. Corn needs 80+ degrees to really take off and grow and haven't had a lot of that this year. And too much rain.

Don Steese
5 hours ago, Spiller said:

I make and eat Mexican style street corn all the time at home...In fact I did just last night with some native corn from an Amish farm down the road...I've been eating native corn for about a week and a half.

Here is how you make it...

Open up the corn husk at the top maybe a quarter to a third down and pull out the silk at the top...you don't strip the husk off...

Pull the husk back up over the ear of corn and throw the corn in a bucket of water and let it soak over night...

The next day you put the whole corn still in the husk soaking wet on the barbecue...

Turn as necessary...some of it will char...any remaining silk burns off...the corn steams in it's own husk...

open them up and slather the following... 

1) mantequilla (butter)

Then the key ingredients are

2) Mexican Styled Crema ...it is sorta like a runny sour cream...but it is different...it is the same key ingredient in Ensenada styled fish tacos...

3) Mexican queso (cheese) crumbled on top..it sticks to the crema...queso fresca is good so is queso cotija...it's sorta like feta it crumbles up..

4) a spice/ condiment called Tajin... it is a combo of various stuff... chili powder, salt and dried lime..I think it might have some garlic powder in it...you sprinkle it on like salt...sometimes I just put butter and Tajin rather than salt on my "normal" corn...it is good stuff...it makes a great rimmer on a Bloody...

5) A wedge of limon...mexican lime...they are the same thing as key limes....

I actually can find all the ingredients up here in Maine either at the IGA, Hannies or even Wally world....

I haven't been back to Mexico for a couple years. Miss the Saturday evenings in just about any little village's town square park. Street vendors line up and people stroll and sit on the benches. Kinda like a carnival or festival every Saturday night. There's a really big one on the town square in Merida. Too big a town for my taste but beautiful!

walt lister
On ‚Äé8‚Äé/‚Äé13‚Äé/‚Äé2019 at 6:52 AM, chris_gillette said:

The way I usually make corn on the cob for several years now.  Works very well.

Me too!

rideold

We just had an "eat your height in corn" neighborhood pot luck last night.  Kids all had fun but they all seem too tall now to eat that much corn!