2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... ×
jeff88

Long Road Trip - what would be your ideal ride and tunes?

jeff88

Last weekend's WSJ had a very interesting article about long road trips; what you would want to drive and what you would listen to.  This would be a cross country trip, for instance, Newark to San Fran, Boston to Seattle or similar.  (Or cross Canada.)  Pick either or both:

#1. You are by yourself

#2. You are with your family

For #1, I'd go with XM Satellite for listening and bounce between Outlaw Country, Deep Tracks, Mad Dog Sports, NPR and Classic Vinyl behind the wheel of this car but with the V8, not the 6:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_SL-Class#/media/File:Mercedes-Benz_SL_350_(R_231)_–_Frontansicht_geöffnet_(1),_22._Mai_2013,_Düsseldorf.jpg

For #2, since there would be 5 of us and we be bringing our dog, we'd be listening to what everyone else wants probably from streaming sources or their playlists.  Have to go back to our Expy days to get us there with room, three rows and good driving qualities:

https://www.appleautos.com/inventory/new-2019-ford-expedition-limited-4wd-4d-sport-utility-1fmju2at2kea24721

What would you prefer to drive and listen to?

Zkight89

My whole family has been traveling with my projects together for the last two years. Road trips are sort of our specialty. 

Since there are five of us and a dog, the vehicle is hands down or '16 F150 four door. For sound, the wife and I mutually settle on satellite radios " Prime Country" in the front seat with whatever the boys and Remi are watching on the back seat DVD player ( seemed to be one of the Shrek movies for a year or so straight) mingling in now and then. 

mccuha

If I’m traveling with company. Usually not listening to radio due to us carrying on conversation.  But when the conversations wain I like Christian radio or a country station. Don’t subscribe to XM radio.  I just use the free stations

C.J.L.

I drive a lot covering 10 states for work or hunting out west and this might sound weird but I don't listen to anything.  I like the piece and quiet.  I used to listen to sports talk radio on XM but ESPN started getting very left politically and it was to much.  Keep politics out of my entertainment.  

I should add, if the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings or U of M  are playing and on the radio where I'm at I'm listening. 

Speaks

I am much more likely to be listening to a podcast than music if by myself. Project upland, birds booze and buds, last podcast from the left are all on my current list. Might get mixed in with some country music though not often whats on the radio. Also my preference to drive would be my tundra. 

With the wife we dont listen to as much, likely no music or podcast at least half the time, but if we want to listen to something podcasts we do like overlap with last podcast on the left, she also likes my favorite murder which I am cool with though dont listen to on my own. Music is less frequent as we dont overlap as much on that. Vehicle is usually her Sorento which will be replaced by a 4 runner in the not too distant future. 

With friends most likely my truck, listen to mostly music trampled by turtles, old crow, credence, grateful dead all come to mind as stuff we all tend to like. 

bennelli-banger

just blasted out to the black hills and crisscrossed much of south dakota...back at home now.  I travel with my 3 labs (left the oldest at home, but he joins us on the trip to Florida in the spring)...my preferred ride is the toyota sienna van...very easy to access the dogs, very comfy, too.  usually have XM radio...love car talk...can't be beat!  fresh air is good....dan lebatard, chris mad dog russo, colin cowherd...or music...depends...lots of coffee!

Larry Brown

Since we're fantasizing here--sort of:  Jag XK-150 with Diana Rigg from her "Avengers" days in the passenger seat.  No music necessary.

Come to think of it . . . the vintage Jag might be a bad choice, unless there's a Brit mechanic trailing us in the chase car.

jeff88
8 minutes ago, Larry Brown said:

Since we're fantasizing here--sort of:  Jag XK-150 with Diana Rigg from her "Avengers" days in the passenger seat. 

Talk about taking poetic license...

Tim Frazier

I think the best road trip vehicle we had was our 2003 Expedition.  MPG stunk but with three kids it was perfect as they all had their own space (two in the middle and one in the back.  We've done the same in the current 2012 Highlander and it would be a close second with the advantage of 24mpg, but that Expedition was a rolling tank and you couldn't overload it with a hitch carrier and stuff on the roof where it wouldn't take much to overload the Highlander.

I am very eclectic with music and would not get far without listening to everything from ACDC, to Lyle Lovett, to Classical, to Christian music.  Just now getting into podcast so that will come into play the next long trip. (multiple days on the road)

Clueless1

Lynyrd Skynyrd Tour bus complete with driver. 

gunsrus

I've had a lot of cars , muscle cars , foreign sports cars , 4wd's . By far the most comfortable has been the 2015 Tahoe LTZ . Handling and comfort can't be beat . Gas mileage at 23 is outstanding for a big vehicle . Loved it so much , convinced my daughter to buy the same in 2016 . She can buy anything but loves it this car . Trips to Maine 3 1/2 hours are smooth .

Local radio is fine by me , country or rock , oldies preferred .

MAArcher

Ideal ride, no tunes.  No roads either.  

But more realistically, second choice would be a BMW R1250 GS Adventure.  Stick to dirt roads as much as possible, drive fast enough to keep it interesting and with Sound Gardens Rusty Cage blasting through the in-helmet speakers.  

Third Choice, I'd love to have my 2000 Ford Excursion restored, performance tuned and a nice sound system installed.  Play a mix of bluegrass, hick hop and country.  Dog riding shotgun.  I'd kill my mother to have no place to go and all day to get there.  

I'm from New England.  We have potholes that will swallow most guys dream cars.  I'll take 4x4 and some space between me and the pavement thank you.  Fast & Furious is more fun on 2 wheels anyway.  

atticus

I like audiobooks.  A few years back I drove to Labrador to fish and back--3000 miles round trip in my old Tundra.  I listened to the 4 audiobook WWII memoirs of Winston Churchill.  Loved every minute of it. 

I have to retire in  3 years and am currently considering driving across Canada and Alaska fishing along the way.  I expect another series of long history audiobooks to be on the agenda.

CheckCord

Newest generation of Suburban/Yukon XL.  

Its super smooth and tons of room for dogs and kid stuff.  

Rear entertainment system is nice. 

Brad Eden

Country Folk...3CD album set by UJer musician juneboy1 on the Auction...just sayin....