2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... ×
chiendog

I watched field trials in England. Ask me anything!

chiendog
14 hours ago, Ray Gubernat said:

Craig -

FWIW -

The Amateur Field Trial Clubs of America(AFTCA) has a region(Region 15)  representing Japan.  It is my understanding that the trials are almost all walking trials, since keeping horses is  apparently prohibitively expensive in Japan. 

Interestingly, there used to be an AFTCA region in Hawaii, but with the passing of a field trial stalwart, who gave significant support to amateur trials in the state, the Hawaii region was deactivated.  It seems that transportation issues  and animal import restrictions severely limit  opportunities to trial there. 

RayG

Thanks for the info Ray, I've been trying, without much success, to get more information (and photos) directly from some field trailers in Japan. I've contacted a number of them but unfortunately I've been unable to get past the language barrier beyond just greetings and a few nuggets of general information. I did manage to get some good information from an American fellow in the US that has done a lot of exporting of high quality dogs (Pointers mainly) to Japan, and when I was in England, I got some information about a Japanese fellow that used to attend trials there and has a huge collection of painting of Pointers and setters. 

Interesting to hear about trials in Hawaii, I will put that on the list of things I still need to check into. 

Ray Gubernat
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, chiendog said:

Thanks for the info Ray, I've been trying, without much success, to get more information (and photos) directly from some field trailers in Japan. I've contacted a number of them but unfortunately I've been unable to get past the language barrier beyond just greetings and a few nuggets of general information. I did manage to get some good information from an American fellow in the US that has done a lot of exporting of high quality dogs (Pointers mainly) to Japan, and when I was in England, I got some information about a Japanese fellow that used to attend trials there and has a huge collection of painting of Pointers and setters. 

Interesting to hear about trials in Hawaii, I will put that on the list of things I still need to check into. 

Craig -

I suggest you contact Mr. Bernie Matthys at the American Field in Chicago.  I just did a quick search on the American Field website, searching for "Japan" on the AF magazine section search bar and got 14 hits.  There were at least four trial reports referenced there, together with authors and photos,, from the last six months of the publication.   

I suspect Mr. Matthys will have contact information for many of the authors, past and present.  The AF  will likely have a fair number of photos also.    You might also contact the AFTCA, since it seems that most of the participants in Japan are amateurs.  They may also be able to help network.

RayG

chiendog
On 8/18/2019 at 9:36 AM, Ray Gubernat said:

Craig -

I suggest you contact Mr. Bernie Matthys at the American Field in Chicago.  I just did a quick search on the American Field website, searching for "Japan" on the AF magazine section search bar and got 14 hits.  There were at least four trial reports referenced there, together with authors and photos,, from the last six months of the publication.   

I suspect Mr. Matthys will have contact information for many of the authors, past and present.  The AF  will likely have a fair number of photos also.    You might also contact the AFTCA, since it seems that most of the participants in Japan are amateurs.  They may also be able to help network.

RayG

Thank you very much Ray, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

Flairball
On 8/17/2019 at 9:51 AM, chiendog said:

I may be able to help you a bit, but won’t be able to do so anytime soon; too busy, too close to hunting season. I’ll be in Japan again next month, but my dance card is already filled up with family obligations, appointments, and the Rugby World Cup. Perhaps this winter, after hunting season I could sniff out some of the info you are looking for. 

As for the UK trials, I know you’re a pointing dog guy, but did you get in a spaniel trial?

bullseyebill

Where did you get your info on where the trials are? We're going to be in Northern England in a couple of weeks and wouldn't  mind

catching  a field or sheep dog trial.

Flairball
14 hours ago, bullseyebill said:

Where did you get your info on where the trials are? We're going to be in Northern England in a couple of weeks and wouldn't  mind

The kennel club website should list them. Look for a UK trial specific Facebook page. Also, check the BASC website. May be listed there, too. I’ve put a feeler out for you, but nothing yet. I’m more tuned in to the spaniel scene, but they’re the best, anyway. 

Flairball
chiendog
On 8/19/2019 at 1:06 PM, Flairball said:

I may be able to help you a bit, but won’t be able to do so anytime soon; too busy, too close to hunting season. I’ll be in Japan again next month, but my dance card is already filled up with family obligations, appointments, and the Rugby World Cup. Perhaps this winter, after hunting season I could sniff out some of the info you are looking for. 

As for the UK trials, I know you’re a pointing dog guy, but did you get in a spaniel trial?

Thank you very much! I will send you a PM

And no, unfortunately I didn't see any spaniel trials. They will have to wait for the next book!

chiendog
21 hours ago, bullseyebill said:

The field trial season for Pointers and Setters (what I was mainly interested in) is pretty much over now since the real shooting (hunting) season is in full swing.  I am not sure about other kinds of trials, but I would love to see a sheep dog trial! Your best bet is to contact the Kennel Club and dig through their website. They should have all the info you need, that is where I got a lot of the info I needed for pointing dog trials. 

Herve

The last field trial on grouse was Aug. 10. The firsrt week of Sept. is for pheasant and partridge.