MUSTANGER7

2019 Ford Ranger 4 x 4 or Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4

salmontogue

Six distinct components are shaping my initial truck purchasing decisions.

1.  In each size category....mid, 150, 250 and 350, each segment's models are increasingly more competent in the payload and towing ratings.

2.  My local GM dealer has an incompetent service department.  Unfortunately, they are also dishonest.  Any vehicle purchased, regardless of brand, will be from a dealer in excess of 100 miles distant.

3.  A recent experience towing a 7500# boat with a nearly new Tundra left me unimpressed, actually terrified at 60mph.

4.  A md-size will not cut it for me and my Tundra towing experience rules out anything from Toyota.

5.  I have always had a gas truck and a diesel.  It is difficult to justify the cost of a diesel when DEF problems are legion and gas trucks are hugely improved.  At my age, it is impossible to justify two pickups particularly when my towing is less frequent, is over shorter distances and my income stream is reduced and with no ability to charge one off as a business deduction.  Getting old stinks.

6.  I have no particular brand loyalty to any of the big three and have owned multiples of each.  In diesel trucks, there is no question the Ram/Cummins is superior.  In gas trucks, I haven't a clue.

bobman

Nothing can approach a turbo for “seat of the pants” power and  drivability that low end torque is great 

bobman
7 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Six distinct components are shaping my initial truck purchasing decisions.

1.  In each size category....mid, 150, 250 and 350, each segment's models are increasingly more competent in the payload and towing ratings.

2.  My local GM dealer has an incompetent service department.  Unfortunately, they are also dishonest.  Any vehicle purchased, regardless of brand, will be from a dealer in excess of 100 miles distant.

3.  A recent experience towing a 7500# boat with a nearly new Tundra left me unimpressed, actually terrified at 60mph.

4.  A md-size will not cut it for me and my Tundra towing experience rules out anything from Toyota.

5.  I have always had a gas truck and a diesel.  It is difficult to justify the cost of a diesel when DEF problems are legion and gas trucks are hugely improved.  At my age, it is impossible to justify two pickups particularly when my towing is less frequent, is over shorter distances and my income stream is reduced and with no ability to charge one off as a business deduction.  Getting old stinks.

6.  I have no particular brand loyalty to any of the big three and have owned multiples of each.  In diesel trucks, there is no question the Ram/Cummins is superior.  In gas trucks, I haven't a clue.

I’d probably look at the Ram 3500 with the 6.4 hemi gas engine

my hunting buddy has that drive train in a crew cab 2500 4x4 and he loves it

he carries and pulls heavy things often

salmontogue
7 minutes ago, bobman said:

I’d probably look at the Ram 3500 with the 6.4 hemi gas engine

my hunting buddy has that drive train in a crew cab 2500 4x4 and he loves it

he carries and pulls heavy things often

Thank you.  Greatly appreciated.

NECarson

Buddy of mine just got a new Ranger. 4x4 Ecoboost. 

He's averaging 26 MPG empty, he pulled a Casita travel trailer about 1k miles the week after he bought it. 

He's loving the truck. I've ridden in it some. It's comfortable and peppy. 

dogrunner
1 hour ago, bobman said:

Almost every other week I rent a full size truck from enterprise, my employer wants it done this way, chevys, fords and  Rams.

i usually drive at least 500 miles one way each week

Ive been doing this for the last two and a half years

When I first started doing this I was thinking I’d like the F150 and was surprised to find out that the Ram is without question a much better truck. 

Better real world mileage, better power, better comfort, better everything IMO

I liked them so much I bought one for my wife

Ram has passed the other ones up IMO

these trucks are all 1500 or 150 size four door crew cabs

Id rank them Ram, ford, Chevy in that order

Rams power is pretty much equivalent to the 5.0 and has way less torque than the 3.5 Eco so that’s pretty much a wash. I don’t like the seats in the Ram, F150 seems way more comfortable. Ram rides smoother but seems to sag more with weight. I like the dash more in the Ram.       3 different guys at my dealership say the Ram comes in the most with problems, mostly electrical and trans issues. My dealership sells both brands. 

NECarson
2 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Rams power is pretty much equivalent to the 5.0 and has way less torque than the 3.5 Eco so that’s pretty much a wash. 

Power on paper doesn't always tell the whole story... A 6.7 Powerstroke will outrun a 6.7 Cummins empty, and has more grunt towing, even comparing the years that Cummins is better on paper. 

And I'm a Cummins guy. 

salmontogue
4 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Power on paper doesn't always tell the whole story... A 6.7 Powerstroke will outrun a 6.7 Cummins empty, and has more grunt towing, even comparing the years that Cummins is better on paper. 

And I'm a Cummins guy. 

I was going to buy another diesel, Ram or Ford, but the DEF problems are significant and, to make matters worse, I live in a cold climate area which only makes the DEF problems worse.

Flush
48 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Correct.  I don't think I said the Ford has more horsepower.  The Ford "felt" (yeah, subjective, I know)  a bit more powerful when I drove them side-by-side, maybe due to the torque.

You are absolutely correct you just said it had more "power and torque". I assumed you meant horsepower. Have you ever considered a career as an attorney :)

But on a serious note most all the reviews say the same on the seat of the pants feel, the Ford "feels" more powerful and peppy, despite the actual acceleration times proving to be similar.

Bottom line they are both nice trucks and frankly the differences between them really aren't all that great in any category, like most things it will come down to personal preference.

Greg, I am glad to hear you are liking your Ranger thus far. More competition and options on the market always benefit the consumer.

One interesting thing about the mid-size market the Tacoma is still dominant. Despite almost all reviews and comparisons claiming the Colorado/Canyon is "better" than the Tacoma, Toyota still sells about 50% more Tacomas than does GM with the Colorado/Canyon.

Reputation, image, etc.. all come into play. I think for young people in particular, Toyota Tacoma's are "cooler" 

bobman
26 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Rams power is pretty much equivalent to the 5.0 and has way less torque than the 3.5 Eco so that’s pretty much a wash. I don’t like the seats in the Ram, F150 seems way more comfortable. Ram rides smoother but seems to sag more with weight. I like the dash more in the Ram.       3 different guys at my dealership say the Ram comes in the most with problems, mostly electrical and trans issues. My dealership sells both brands. 

The Rams faster at passing on interstate speeds than the 5.0 maybe it’s the gearing. For me 6’4” 270 lb weight lifter ( I’m not fat) the Ram seats are more comfortable. Better lumbar support IMO my back feels better in the Ram after driving for 10 hrs.

I don’t want a turbo ford mechanics when polled the majority claim to prefer the 5.0 and I would to.

I do think the fords a nice truck and all these issues are just personal preferences,  it’s a good thing we have such good options, isn’t America great!

Brad Eden

Outside of a trucks dependability and all the gear head stuff already talked about, a lot of a trucks appeal is in simple ergonomics. I've sat in the drivers seat of trucks mentioned here, and they felt awkward, or cavernous, or hard to navigate or all of that. Some felt like they were built for someone 6' 4" and 275 pounds, not the average sized man. Like bigger is better or something. This is highly brand specific. Maybe it's what you are use to and it's hard to transition to another manufacturers ergonomics. I test drive an American brand truck and then the one I now have, and I just felt right in one and not the other. Also, and maybe to a lesser are the aesthetics. Some trucks mentioned here are just plain ugly to me, or poorly designed compared to others. That's highly a personal judgement, but is a factor. That is also manufacturer based and who designs for that brand. Like a dog, you will be looking at it for a long time, and might as well like what you see.

Flush
44 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

I was going to buy another diesel, Ram or Ford, but the DEF problems are significant and, to make matters worse, I live in a cold climate area which only makes the DEF problems worse.

I have horses and an older diesel and am planning to hold on to it as long as I can because despite how powerful the new diesel's are they are very complex and have plenty of problems, not just with DEF. Not to mention they are extremely expensive.

If I were in the market for a new big truck and was considering diesel I would definitely take a look at the brand new Ford 7.3 gas engine. I'm not sure if they are even on the dealer lots yet but they should be soon. It's a brand new engine and designed from the get-go to be used in 3/4 ton and up trucks. In the big trucks the only thing that made the RAM more desirable than Ford was the Cummins engine (IMHO). When it comes to chassis, transmission, electrical etc.. (again IMHO) Ford is better. The problem with the new 7.3 gasser is it is brand new, so it's possible there will be issues to work out. On paper I really like it though, it's simple and designed for towing. 

If you were terrified towing your boat with a new Tundra, I highly doubt you are going to be completely satisfied with any half-ton. No idea what engine and gearing etc your Tundra had, but when you compare apples to apples configurations there isn't THAT much difference between any of the new half-tons. 

ARKBRDHUNTER

I bought a Colorado four door Z71 in May, I have almost 10,000 miles on it and am averaging 22 MPG mainly back and forth to work here in the Ozarks. It has the V6 and has been plenty for what I do. Two longer trips to skeet shoots and it is comfortable to ride and drive. 

A side note, I was going home after our local towns 4th of July parade that had a long group of classic cars in it. I passed a slower car and saw chevelle that had been in the parade pass it also and run up on me. I thought he was going to pass but just kept edging up on my bumper. I decided to play along and away we went. I pulled away as was still doing so until the high speed cut off kicked in at 98. My first thought was that I had blown up my new truck but realized what had happened when I let off and it picked back up. 

Since my other truck is a 98 Z71 that I bought used I either had never exceeded that speed or it has been tuned out so I was not aware that most trucks have that feature, my 2011 Camaro surely did not. 

Curt

Holy cow Greg, that's a pretty nice even pattern.  Must be quite a story behind that picture.

Greg Hartman
39 minutes ago, Flush said:

You are absolutely correct you just said it had more "power and torque". I assumed you meant horsepower. Have you ever considered a career as an attorney :)

Actually, I have....  🙂

But on a serious note most all the reviews say the same on the seat of the pants feel, the Ford "feels" more powerful and peppy, despite the actual acceleration times proving to be similar.

Bottom line they are both nice trucks and frankly the differences between them really aren't all that great in any category, like most things it will come down to personal preference.

I agree completely.  Hard to go wrong with either.  Vehicles in general are pretty good these days.

Greg, I am glad to hear you are liking your Ranger thus far.  More competition and options on the market always benefit the consumer.

Thanks!  Yep, that's how we got to the great vehicles we have today - better in every way than the "classics" - more durable, more fuel effecient, safer, more comfortable, faster, etc.  

One interesting thing about the mid-size market the Tacoma is still dominant. Despite almost all reviews and comparisons claiming the Colorado/Canyon is "better" than the Tacoma, Toyota still sells about 50% more Tacomas than does GM with the Colorado/Canyon.

Reputation, image, etc.. all come into play. I think for young people in particular, Toyota Tacoma's are "cooler" 

Dunno anything about what young people like and what's cool, but I admit they do have a gnarly look.