REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MUSTANGER7

2019 Ford Ranger 4 x 4 or Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4

salmontogue
27 minutes ago, Curt said:

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard a word about that.

The problem is neither brand specific nor is it limited to light trucks.  Parts of the DEF system are sealed as required by the EPA.  A typical repair, in a light truck, costs $1500 to $1800 making an extended warranty a good plan.

Curt
5 hours ago, salmontogue said:

The problem is neither brand specific nor is it limited to light trucks.  Parts of the DEF system are sealed as required by the EPA.  A typical repair, in a light truck, costs $1500 to $1800 making an extended warranty a good plan.

It can be more than that, I replaced the entire DEF system in my F350 last year for a little over $2200.  The cause was my own fault, seems if you absent mindedly pour 5-6 ounces of diesel anti-gel into the DEF tank it screws that system up beyond repair.  Senior moments at the pump can be costly.

Natty Bumpo
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, Windrider said:

If you have back problems of any sort, I’d take a good long sit in a Tacoma and see how you like it.

I don't have back problems of any sort, but have to sound a STRONG SECOND to that Taco opinion. The early reviews of the new (kinda)  Ranger in the car/truck rags have been underwhelming, and that might be the kindest way to put it.

Quig

Regarding the turbo engine in the f 150. I recently bought a house from a engineer involved with the design of it. He told me that engine was run wide open for days until something failed. Then they would engineer a fix for it and start again. He said the exhaust bolts would vibrate out, you could watch them unscrew.

They were never meant for a truck engine, but they are so good, every department wanted them in there vehicles.

He says they are a good design to last, he wanted to run Mobile one in them, the bean counters said no.