REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
mccuha

Concrete slab replacement

Zkight89
7 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

There used to be constant banter between the trades (all good natured), and I remember some guys when we were building one of the Country Clubs in Metro Detroit telling me how I “should put down my hammer and try doing a real man’s job” as they were dragging the pump hose around and bent over screeding.  Just looked at them and said “No thank you, I’ve made better life choices to get where I’m at”.  Man did that statement get everyone going that day.  It sure did make the day interesting and it seemed as though nobody was immune from the insults...and not only did the work still get done, but we all had a good time with it.

I really do miss those days.  If I tried that kind of stuff now, I’d be sent to counseling after meeting with Human Resources.  Seems as though all these flu flu drink coffees and vegetarian diets are producing some very thin skin on the kids when they are born.  😂

I’m sure we all have stories, and comparisons to what it was, and how it now is.  Man does the world ever change fast.

We Tank Builders live to take shots at the other trades, mainly because we're pretty unique. Erect and hang iron as good as the Ironworkers and weld as good as the Boilermakers.  Electricians and Pipefitters seem to catch the most grief around us. 

The guys that have been with me awhile like to recount ( to other tradesmen, usually after showing a "boo boo" of some sort) the time I got smashed between a Bobcat and a giant girter beam. I keep quiet the whole time, then when said tradesman looks to me I end with " It would've killed one of you Electricians/ Pipefitters"...   That one always gets em going 😂😂

Mike da Carpenter

Probably kept quiet cause your girlfriend wasn’t there for you to call out to so she could come lift the girder off of you.  😎

Zkight89

Nah, Tank Builders don't date big gals I think that's Carpenters! 

Mike da Carpenter

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but wasn’t there a movie made about Tank Builders?  Oh yeah, Broke Back Mountain or was it Boat Trip starring Cuba Golding Jr?

I will agree 100%, electricians took the most flack as they should.

Zkight89
4 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but wasn’t there a movie made about Tank Builders?  Oh yeah, Broke Back Mountain or was it Boat Trip starring Cuba Golding Jr?

I will agree 100%, electricians took the most flack as they should.

😂😂😂😂.  

This is what makes being a tradesman great! 

I hold a 15 minute JSA meeting every morning on my job site. I make every opportunity for one of my guys to take a shot at me so I can roast them in front of the crew. Been told by several members of big brass sitting in that I give the best safety meetings because that banter creates a good vibe and captures their attention. 

Mike da Carpenter
4 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

😂😂😂😂.  

This is what makes being a tradesman great! 

I hold a 15 minute JSA meeting every morning on my job site. I make every opportunity for one of my guys to take a shot at me so I can roast them in front of the crew. Been told by several members of big brass sitting in that I give the best safety meetings because that banter creates a good vibe and captures their attention. 

Yeah, we better cool it before the site counselor and HR eyeball shows up.  Ha!!

Zkight89
10 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Yeah, we better cool it before the site counselor and HR eyeball shows up.  Ha!!

Nobody wants the blue collar guys getting rowdy and offending anyone! 

MichiganMan

How many are there? Shoot if you have some good finishers you could run a fly ash mix (slower setting mix, given they dont need it to take traffic right away and that itll be warm) in it and knock them all out at once. Leave a couple guys and a walk behind at the bigger ones and one guy could run around hitting the 4x4,s. Unless they are all over the place and walking time between patches would be inhibiting. 

I agree with the power buggy suggestion. They arent too expensive to rent. And with a pump there has to be ample set up space and overhead clearance which i could see being an issue in a plant.

mccuha

They are scattered all over.  We’ve come up with a game plan. We have them broken down into sections. They are big enough areas that we will have a concrete trucked in. We are going to use a pretty big bobcat and use it to haul a yard and half concrete dump bucket. Also will have a couple Georgia buckets.  We can only pour on the weekends so it will take several weekends to get it done