gaberdeen

Having a hard time.

gaberdeen
9 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Just took my granddaughter today. She's the older of the two and has always been "Pap's" girl. A bit emotional for both of us.  I expect the first week to be tough for her because she's starting early and her roomie won't be there till next week. Hope she adjusts. They all do I guess. Hope your girl does too!

Same with my daughter Don, she started early and her roommate comes in on Sunday. Hopefully they hit it off.

watermen

Dropping my oldest off in the morning,  different season of life for sure.

CptSydor

I am not a parent, but I was an instructor at a large University and had 2400 fresh faces every September that came through my course.

Lots of great advise. One of our greatest challenges as an instructional team was trying to create an environment within our course, that along with what the university offered, helped ease the transition from high school to college. It wasn't easy.

My best additional advise to to get her to 'put herself out there'. There should be so many activities geared towards getting students involved in all aspects of college life. This is a difficult time of transition for most students, and it's been happening for years, it's not new. College life is very much you reap what you sow, from social to academics and if they can make an effort to get involved there will be so many people there to reciprocate and help.

UplandHntr

We took my son to IL Institute of Technology on Monday. While it wasnt easy for me, my wife is a wreck. Yeesh. Im ready to flush her phone so she isnt tempted to txt and call him. 

canvasback

I haven't had to drop my son off yet as he is only 14. And I sure can imagine missing him. However, I don't get the young people having a problem with homesickness. But that's just me.

I left home to go to a boarding school when I was 11. Not a moment of homesickness....I felt like I was on a big adventure. I lived at home for my final year of high school and could not wait to get out on my own. Moved from my family home in Winnipeg to live on my own in Toronto when I was 17, the moment I finished high school. Had great parents and a happy home life. I was just determined to run my own life.

Sometimes, when this subject comes up, I feel like I must have been a bit weird. Haven't run into many people who felt the same at that young age. Haha!

terrym

She’ll be fine as will you. My first to leave was a tough one. Lots of tears and loneliness from both sides. She survived, hooked up with a great guy and they are both getting on a plane to London England for 2 year teaching contracts this week. My little girl who literally vomited when we went to register her is leaving the continent this week for a couple years. She was a total wallflower type of kid. Not anymore. University, especially when in a different city is a fabulous part of their lives. The changes I saw in my daughter over her 5 years away were amazing. 

DennisMcFeely

Come over for dinner tonight with your wife 

gaberdeen
5 minutes ago, DennisMcFeely said:

Come over for dinner tonight with your wife 

Dam I would love to but I have to work tonight. Maybe one day next week we could meet at Krogh's for a beer.

bennelli-banger

these conditions/situations are probably what helps engender such strong friendships during freshmen year...those friendships can be very, very strong and last a lifetime...good luck to her, and you....I bet it will work out.

Samuel Hoggson

Like most older UJ-ers we did alot of shopping in the parental anxiety dept.  And there were some curveballs. 

Most kids get through freshman year, tho.

The bad news on parenting:  it.....never.....ends.

Well, maybe when they're sprinkling me out back by the Taj........

OceanRoamer

Oldest daughter called home every morning the first week...usually ended the conversation crying. Then she met some other young women...everything worked out.

Lurch

just got back from dropping off the youngest near UJer CCavacini for his freshman year. He seems to be fine but momma (who only cries when the KS Jayhawks lose a basketball game!) is sure taking it hard.

Older brother goes back next friday so almost...

EMPTY NESTERS!!!

Looking forward to having leftovers in the fridge for the first time in 20 years!

Kansas Big Dog

Damn helicopter parents. Get over it. Quit hovering.

I was a hard ass parent and both my kids were glad to get out of the house.

Both graduated and have successful careers and lives and both have thanked me for making them tough. One is an engineer and one is an accountant.

brushbuster

I’m right behind you Gary my oldest is a senior this year and is a bit of a homebody.  

Everyone told us the most important part is that they find/join a club or sports team or something they are interested in where they can meet others with a common interest.

Good luck my friend I’ll be seeking advice this time next year!

Larry Brown
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, Don Steese said:

Just took my granddaughter today. She's the older of the two and has always been "Pap's" girl. A bit emotional for both of us.  I expect the first week to be tough for her because she's starting early and her roomie won't be there till next week. Hope she adjusts. They all do I guess. Hope your girl does too!

The roomie thing reminds me of a funny story from my grad school days at Northern Iowa (before I taught there).  I'd guess UNI had more foreign students than it did non-white Americans back then.  I was in an education class with a black guy who was an assistant dorm director.  Got to know him pretty well, recruited him (and another black guy) for our softball team.  Anyhow, he told me about the time a white couple was ushered into his office.  They were there to complain about their son having a black roommate.